Skeletons of Japanese WWII Soldiers Unearthed By Rising Seas on Marshall Islands

By Terrell Johnson
Published: June 10, 2014

Call it the macabre side of climate change: The bodies of at least 26 Japanese soldiers from World War II have been washed out of their decades-old graves on the beaches of Marshall Islands, one of many low-lying island nations in the Pacific whose future is threatened by rising seas.

The news was announced by Marshall Islands Foreign Minister Tony de Brum at the Bonn Climate Change Conference, where ministers from 170 governments around the world gathered last week for talks that previewed United Nations climate negotiations scheduled for later this year.

Speaking on the sidelines with reporters during the conference, de Brum pointed to the unearthed bodies as the latest in a string of incidents that reveals how imperiled Marshall Islands – an archipelago of islands and coral atolls between Hawaii and Australia, on which about 70,000 people live just a few feet above sea level – is by human-caused climate change.

"These last spring tides in February to April this year have caused not just inundation and flooding of communities but have also undermined regular land, so that even the dead are affected," de Brum said in Bonn, according to the U.K.-based Telegraph newspaper.

"There are coffins and dead people being washed away from graves, it's that serious," he added.


A cemetery on the shoreline in Majuro Atoll in Marshall Islands is shown in this file photo from 2008, being flooded from high tides and ocean surges.

The Japanese, who had occupied Marshall Islands since the end of World War I, used the island chain as a military operations base until U.S. troops invaded and took control in February 1944. The bodies of the soldiers who were washed from their graves are believed to have lived here then.

“We think they are Japanese soldiers,” Mr de Brum said at the Bonn conference, according to the U.K.-based Independent newspaper. “We had the exhumed skeletons sampled by the US Navy in Pearl Harbor (in Hawaii) and they helped identify where they are from, to assist in the repatriation efforts.”

A recent U.N. report showed that sea levels have risen much faster in this part of the world than most anywhere else – by about 12 millimeters per year, roughly four times the global average of the past couple of decades.

In the island nation's capital city Majuro, the telltale signs of rising sea levels are unmistakable, the Telegraph reports:

"The town consists of one main road that runs the length of the island, leaving the waterfront homes and shops on either side glaringly exposed to rising seas and high tides," the newspaper said. "Across the country, coconut trees have washed away. There is less land to grow breadfruit, one of the nation’s main food sources, which cannot grow on soil where the groundwater has been infiltrated by the salty sea water."

Read more: Are Simultaneous Floods, Drought an Omen in the Pacific?


MORE: Rising Seas Threaten to Swamp Marshall Islands

Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future

Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future

An aerial view of Rongelap Island, one of more than 1,000 that make up the Marshall Islands in the Northern Pacific. The impact of climate change has left its capital with about two hours' worth of fresh water every other day, and many of its outer islands with no fresh water at all. (STR/AFP/Getty Images)

  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future
  • Marshall Islands Faces Uncertain Future

Ad Blocker Enabled

Featured Blogs

First African Tropical Wave of the Year to Get Designated an 'Invest': 96L

By Dr. Jeff Masters
July 27, 2016

One of the strongest tropical waves of the 2016 African monsoon season moved off the coast of Africa on Wednesday morning, and has the potential to develop into a tropical depression in the coming days as it tracks westwards at 15 - 20 mph into the middle Atlantic. NHC designated this disturbance Invest 96L on Wednesday morning--the first "Invest" of the year for an African tropical wave.

Hottest Reliably Measured Air Temperatures on Earth

By Christopher C. Burt
July 22, 2016

As Jeff Masters mentioned in his recent blog, a temperature of 54.0°C (129.2°F) was observed at Mitribah, Kuwait on July 21st. According to the Kuwait Meteorological Department this was the hottest temperature ever measured in the country (a reading of 54.4°C/129.9°F observed at the same site on July 16, 2010 has been disallowed as a result of a faulty sensor). The 54.0°C reading also is a new record for Asia and ties a similar reading at Death Valley (on June 30, 2013) as the hottest reliably measured temperature on Earth. The key word here is ‘reliably’. Many hotter temperatures have been reported from around the world in years past. However, all of these have credibility issues. In that vein I am going to revisit a blog I first posted on WU in October 2010 listing all the various claims to temperature readings at or above 54°C (129.2°F). In the years since I made that post I’ve learned more about some of these claims and have thus updated my entries and ‘validity’ scores as a result.

An extraordinary meteorological event; was one of its results a 1000-year flood?

By Stu Ostro
October 5, 2015

The confluence of meteorological ingredients the first weekend in October 2015 resulted in an extraordinary weather event with severe impacts. Was one of them a 1000-year flood?

Why the Arrest of a Science-Loving 14-year-old Matters

By Shaun Tanner
September 16, 2015

By now, many of you have heard or read about the arrest of Ahmed Mohamed, a 14-year-old high school student from Irving, Texas. Ahmed was arrested because school officials called the police after he showed one of his teachers his homemade clock. Mistaken for a bomb, Ahmed was taken into custody, interrogated, shamed, suspended (still on suspension today, Wednesday), and reprimanded. All of this after it has been found that the "device" he brought to school was indeed, a homemade clock.