... High Wind Warning in effect from noon to 11 PM PDT Thursday...
The National Weather Service in San Diego has issued a High Wind
Warning, which is in effect from noon to 11 PM PDT Thursday. The
high wind watch is no longer in effect.
* Winds... sustained west winds of 20 to 40 mph. Gusts to 70 mph or
higher on mountain tops and Desert Mountain slopes. Gusts of 50
to 60 mph in the Coachella Valley and the San Diego County
* Timing... winds will increase Thursday morning, becoming strong
and locally damaging Thursday afternoon and evening. The
strongest winds are expected between 2 and 6 PM Thursday.
* Location... mountain tops to the desert floor.
* Visibility... severe restrictions of a quarter of a mile or less
in blowing dust and sand possible in the deserts.
* Impacts... hazardous travel conditions at times due to low
visibility in blowing sand and dust, and sudden, strong cross-
winds. Difficult travel for high-profile vehicles, especially
big rigs which are prone to toppling. Minor structural and tree
* Outlook... winds will turn northerly Thursday night and be quite
gusty from the northern Coachella Valley and through the Cajon
Pass, but not as strong.
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.