External Links to Storm Surge Information
- The National Hurricane Center Storm Surge Overview web pages, created in 2010, have the single best source of storm surge information on the Internet.
- The NOAA Hurricane Preparedness web site has an excellent storm surge section.
- Hal Needham of Louisiana State University has created a fantastic historical interactive storm surge maps of the world. He runs a blog there, too, analyzing the surge potential of current storms.
- Western Carolina University also has an excellent interactive storm surge viewer of the U.S. coast, showing historical surge events.
- Storm surge simulator for Miami-Dade County in Florida from miamidade.gov
- USGS has an interactive map showing probability of erosion, caused by waves and storm surge, along the U.S. Gulf Coast. They also have a report titled, National Assessment of Hurricane-Induced Coastal Erosion Hazards: Gulf of Mexico
- The most remarkable storm surge video ever taken is probably the Hurricane Katrina video caught by Mike Theiss of Ultimatechase.com. His floating "Theiss device" (WMV File) video and the video shot from a hotel lobby in Gulfport, MS (WMV File) are simply amazing.
- Another spectacular Katrina storm surge video (anonymous) was taken in the parking garage of the Beau Rivage Casino in Biloxi.
- Jim Edds' extremestorms.com (WMV File) website has a Katrina storm surge clip (13Mb) that is impressive, though not as ridiculous as the two videos mentioned above.
- NOAA Slosh Training Manual (PDF File)
- Australian Bureau of Meteorology's storm surge guide
- Hurricanetrack.com's storm surge page
- Hurricane Katrina Interagency Performance Evaluation Taskforce (IPET) report from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- World tide info
- Real-time NOAA storm surge forecasts
- Worldwide storm surge forecasts from methaz.org
- Storm surge forecasts for New York City and Long Island Sound from SUNY Stonybrook
- Extratropical storm surge forecasts from NOAA
Storm surge info and evacuation maps from FEMA and state emergency management agencies
- FEMA Hurricane Evacuation Study maps
- Floridadisaster.org hurricane evacuation maps
- Texas Division of Emergency Management hurricane evacuation maps
- Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
- Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency storm surge info
- Virginia Department of Emergency Management storm surge info
- New York City hurricane evacuation zone finder
- Tampa Bay, FL storm surge atlas
Weather Underground Storm Surge Articles
Storm Surge Safety Actions
- Storm Surge Basics
- Storm Surge Inundation Maps for the U.S. Coast
- General Characteristics of Storm Surges
- Storm Surge Survival Misconceptions
- A detailed view of the storm surge: Comparing Katrina to Camille
- World Storm Surge Records
- U.S. Storm Surge Records
- Storm Surge Animations of Historical Storms
- Hurricane Katrina's Storm Surge
- Storm Surge Reduction by Wetlands
- Knowing Your Elevation
- External Links to Storm Surge Information
Tropical Storm Outlooks
- No Tropical Weather Outlooks available.
Monthly Hurricane Summaries
Tropical Weather Discussions:
- No Tropical Weather Discussions available.
Other Tropical Imagery
Aircraft Reconnaissance Reports
- Aircraft Reconnaissance Plan of the Day
- Detailed Vortex Message
- Flight Level RECCO reports (decoded)
- Supplementary Vortex Message
- Guide to decoding recon reports
Blank Tracking Charts