...Red flag warning in effect from 9 am to 8 PM EDT Thursday for southeast New York which includes all of Long Island as well as northeast New Jersey...
* affected area...southeast New York which includes all of Long Island as well as northeast New Jersey.
* Winds...northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts around 40 mph.
* Relative humidity...as low as 18 percent.
* Timing...late Thursday morning through Thursday evening.
* Impacts...rapid fire spread possible if ignition occurs.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are expected or occurring. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and dry fuels will create critical fire weather conditions.