Coastal Flood Advisory, Beach Hazard Statement
3:42 AM EDT
National Weather Service
... Coastal Flood Advisory remains in effect until 8 PM EDT this
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* hazards... minor coastal flooding with a high threat of rip
* Location... north of Cape Lookout.
* Coastal flooding... water levels around 2 feet above normal for
areas adjacent to Pamlico Sound. Water levels will remain
elevated on the sound through today due to large amounts of
flood waters draining into the tidal creeks from Matthew's heavy
rains combined with high astronomical tides. High astronomical
tides combined with easterly swell may also result in minor
* Timing and tides... minor coastal flooding expected through this
evening. The rip current risk is greatest a couple of hours
either side of low tide... which will be around 6 PM this
* Impacts... high water will flood roads and may impact some
properties... especially low lying areas.
If caught in a rip current remain calm. Don't fight the current.
Swim in a direction following the shoreline. When out of the
current... swim back to shore. If tired... float or tread water
until out of the rip current. If unable to escape... face the
shore and call or wave for help.
A coastal Flood Advisory indicates that onshore winds and tides
will combine to generate flooding of low areas along the shore.