... Red flag warning in effect from 1 PM to 9 PM PDT Saturday for
gusty winds and low humidity...
The National Weather Service in Pendleton has issued a red flag
warning... which is in effect from 1 PM to 9 PM PDT Saturday. The
Fire Weather Watch is no longer in effect.
* Affected area... in Washington... fire weather zones 639... 641
and 675 covering the eastern Columbia River gorge and most of
Klickitat County... the lower Columbia Basin... the Yakima
Valley... and the Blue Mountain foothills. In Oregon... fire
weather zones 639 and 641 covering the eastern Columbia River
gorge... the lower Columbia Basin... and the Blue Mountain
* Timing... winds will increase in the eastern Columbia River
gorge around noon then over the remainder of the watch area
by mid afternoon.
* Wind... southwest to west wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to
35 mph. The strongest wind will occur in the eastern Columbia
* Humidity... 15 to 25 percent.
* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
The grassy areas will easily ignite with vehicle exhaust.
Outdoor burning is not recommended. Keep vehicles with a hot
exhaust off of dry grass.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now... .or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.