... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from late Saturday night
through Sunday evening...
.A low pressure system will drop southward out of the Gulf of
Alaska and through norcal late Saturday night and Sunday. This
colder weather system will drop snow levels down to near 6000 feet
by Sunday morning. This will be low enough to bring significant
snowfall to the major Sierra passes for the first time this winter
season. Gusty winds are also likely on Sunday compounding the
Sierra travel impacts.
* Main impacts: slick roads due to snow. Unprepared travelers
may experience very long delays. Chain restrictions probable.
* Other impacts... winds gusting to 50 mph through the passes
could cause poor visibility and difficulty driving.
* Confidence... medium
* timing... late Saturday night through Sunday evening... heaviest
* Locations... Sierra Nevada passes and Lassen park above 6000
* Snow accumulations... 6 to 12 inches over Sierra passes. 1 to 2
feet of snow above 7000 feet and over Lassen park.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor
the latest forecasts.
Interact with US via social media