... Blowing dust advisory in effect from 2 PM this afternoon to
8 PM MST this evening...
The National Weather Service in Tucson has issued a blowing dust
advisory... which is in effect from 2 PM this afternoon to 8 PM
MST this evening.
* Impacts... blowing dust can restrict visibilities below a mile
posing a significant hazard to motorists. In addition... strong
and gusty winds will likely suspend dust into the air that
people and animals breathe. Individuals with heart disease and
respiratory sensitivities may want to reduce their level of
exertion to limit the dust they breathe into their lungs...
especially if they are near dust-prone locations. Those most
at risk may feel better of they avoid outside exercise today...
keeping windows and doors closed to help reduce exposure.
* Timing... 2pm to 8pm... with an emphasis on the 4pm to 8pm
* Winds... east to northeast winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts as
high as 55 mph.
* Visibility... widespread areas of less than 1 mile with
localized areas of near zero visibility possible.
* For a detailed view of the hazard area... visit
weather.Gov/Tucson and click on the detailed hazards tab
* current air pollution levels are available from the Pima
County department of environmental quality website at
www.Pima.Gov/deq or by calling (520) 724-7446
A blowing dust advisory means that blowing dust will restrict
visibilities below one mile in some areas. Travelers are urged to
use caution. If you encounter localized dense blowing dust...
especially near plowed fields or construction sites... do not
drive into it if at all possible.