Final Phase of Site Redesign

By: Product Team , 9:14 PM GMT on April 14, 2014

We're planning to complete the roll out of the new site design tomorrow morning (Tuesday in the US). We're extremely grateful for all of the feedback (both the positive and the negative!) that we've received over the past few months of beta testing. We've already made many changes and fixed several bugs based on all of this feedback and we want to reassure everyone that we'll keep listening and make iterative enhancements to all areas of the site.

Keep the feedback coming - the best place to submit your thought is on the Redesign forum.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5Blog Index

205. SuperCloud
9:08 PM GMT on August 14, 2016
I don't know what has been done lately, but as of today (Aug 14, 2016), things on the wundermap are terrible.

The panels listing the different layers will not go away, and the controls for playing the radar are gone. All that is left is a simple play/stop button, as if we were idiots. I want to see the time on each image! I want to control which image I see! I want to control the speed and length of the animations! I want control!

Whatever was done in the last few days was a definite downgrade.
204. pastot
2:48 AM GMT on March 30, 2016
Really frustrated recently. we run Windows 7 and IE11 at work and Wu returns unsupported browser when I try to load wundermap. So I try it at home where I have full admin access and a hope of discovering why it fails and still no go IE11 locks up after a few minutes and still cannot load wundermap. I changed start up page to basic weather from my location and that works, but only for about 5 minutes or so and IE11 locks again. I've check for updates and cleared cache, reset IE11 and restored advanced to the IE standard and still no joy. Why it says unsupported browser at work I don't know but at home it tries to load wundermap and fails and any page locks up. Such a shame that I need to find another sources for the weather feeds I need for work and at home. one stop shopping was fantastic for years. Oh atop that the android app is killing itself too now. I give up, just have to try again in a few months to see if the monkey business is over. Sending before I lock up again.
203. WunderBlogAdmin (Admin)
9:50 PM GMT on January 07, 2016
Please visit the New@WU blog to leave feedback or other comments: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/WUNews
202. knucklehead
5:42 AM GMT on November 17, 2015
Finally! I'm done with this site. It seems the page reloads every few minutes and when I does it manages to screw up my mouse and keyboard functions. I use a wireless mouse/keyboard combo. I have no idea why this happens. I have very fast 6 core processor and 64bit operating system using Windows 10. Whenever the mouse refuses to scroll smoothly I look at the WU tab (Firefox) and sure enough WU is reloading. Is there any good reason why the page needs to reload every 2-5 minutes? It also loads very slowly.

Bye! Let me know if you decide to 'fix' this reloading problem.
7:33 PM GMT on November 24, 2014
wuproductteam has created a new entry.
200. MTOUTDOORSMAN
2:17 AM GMT on September 03, 2014
What happened to Weather Underground. I have had it for my homepage but had to change to something else. Not only did it become extremely slow to load, it was slowing up Firefox if left WU open in another tab. Finally closed the Weather Underground tab and changed my homepage to something else, and my whole system sped up.
199. privatouring
4:28 PM GMT on August 30, 2014
Last year I mastered the format and ran my IE 11 on it without any problem. It was almost "graceful" how the programme responded and how easily one could learn and expand his expertise as the days went by, especially during the period of tropical waves, storms, and Hurricanes.
Now, it hangs up continuously. Open up, run for 2 minutes and then the notifications set in. I have to resort to my Chrome, which we all hate, since it tries to take control of everything "inside the box" where I have my keyboard, speaker, and monitor plugged in. Once the Chrome is on, your programme works fairly well, but nothing like last year.
Weather Underground is the only place where we have any change in deportment of our equipment when we are on IE - 11.
Very disappointed.
David Christian Newton
198. SnyperSmith
1:30 AM GMT on August 20, 2014
I like the new design, and loading is fast for me...things are easier to find...Thanks! SS
197. allpafla
11:40 AM GMT on August 06, 2014
Yep, I've experienced it. Slower to load than 6 months ago, which was slower to load than 2 years ago.
Functionality is fine, if you can get it to display on your screen.
Personally I'm not happy with it but guess I'll have to live with it if I want reports. Considering going over to NWS instead. They load a LOT faster!
196. BriarCraft
12:51 AM GMT on July 28, 2014
Is it my imagination? Or does NUWU continue to get slower
and slower
and s-l-o-w-e-r

I used to spend an hour or more on this site nearly every day. Now I get in and out as quickly as possible and have placed 3 different buttons on my Firefox toolbar just so I can skip NUWU's lame navigation. 3, 4, or 5 clicks to get where I used to go with 1 or 2. WordPress and Flickr are seeing a lot more of me since NUWU went live.

Not only that, but the weather forecasts have gotten less accurate. I can't believe I have to check a Seattle TV station's weather page or turn on the TV to get a decent forecast.
195. Amanda999
3:03 PM GMT on July 22, 2014
I don't like the new Wunderground photo layout. No ratings make it kind of boring to browse through. I would be interested to see if the number of newly posted photos remains the same or if people lose interest. Humans are naturally competitive!
194. Marta4
9:54 AM GMT on July 22, 2014
Re. my previous message : I think I misread the info. concerning "Final phase of Site Redesign". I thought it dated from yesterday. Actually it dates from April. If the site has been redesigned and it's this slow and difficult to find things, not mentioning the "dull appearance", then I find your site redesign doesn't seem to have been particularly successful.
To be honest, if I didn't see my account on here when I signed in, I would even wonder if this was the "Wunderground" I knew or some other site that had replaced it. Before it was a much more fun, friendly site. Please do consider going back to the old Wunderground. You could introduce a few new elements, but keep the same old style.
Even the "Wunder photos" section is not as easy to use and not nearly as attractive as it used to be.
Please do attempt to reinstate some elements your users valued when negotiating the site : easy to use, more attractive, "fun" appearance.
This does look a little like "weather.com". Please keep it the way it was. We already have a weather.com. We don't need a "weather.com a.". Thank you for seriously considering going back to the old Wunderground.
193. Marta4
9:43 PM GMT on July 21, 2014
I haven't had much time at all for "wunderground" for the last few months, and just uploaded a photo yesterday for the first time since 2013. Well, I realize you aren't quite finished with your new design yet, but I must say that I found what I saw here rather disappointing... In addition to being difficult to navigate. They old Wunderground site was much more "fun". Given that the new design is not going to be complete until tomorrow, I will give the site another chance, but to be honest from what I see so far, the new design looks rather "blah".
Concerning the wunder photos, I don't see why you have seemed to do away with the "rating" system. I enjoyed that - without taking the ratings too seriously. We can "like' photos on flickr or facebook. Why not have something unique to Wunderground, and be different? It was a good idea to let people make comments, but the rating system was something I would recommend retaining.
This new site had such a new feel that I even wondered if it was the Wunderground I knew! It seems as if the "personality" associated with the old Wunderground has vanished. I just read some of the other comments on here and I see that others seem to not be particularly satisfied with the changes - to say the least. Please consider going back to a site that retains your old feel or you may, indeed, lose many of your users.
192. DataPilot
7:49 PM GMT on July 17, 2014
Quoting 191. MikesterMike:

Slow loading, less powerful, and the reliance on "Wundermap" will drive people like me away. I miss the fast loading, powerful, and clean design of the past. Why, Wunderground, why? Weather.com is looking much better than this, which is a sad, sad statement .

MikesterMike - I, too, have been largely driven away from WU due to the very slow page loading.

After years of being a dyed-in-the-wool WU fan, I have stopped using it as my primary source of weather.

Hello? Is anyone out there listening?
191. MikesterMike
6:38 PM GMT on July 17, 2014
190. billdiebner
2:23 PM GMT on July 17, 2014
Why can't you tech people leave things alone. Far too often web pages are revised because the tech people have time on the hands and want to justify their existence by making changes and confusing everyone. Too bad for us users.
189. BLnSF
11:24 PM GMT on July 15, 2014
Dr. Masters,
I just took a visit over to the classic weatherunderground and found that my preferences were still there and it only took one click to find what I wanted. I'm not an IT person, but have served on many design committees and one click to get to the desired information and the user's ability to personalize the site were 2 top measures of website quality I was taught. I've been trying to participate in the review of the new site with an open mind, but I'm very disappointed in simple things such a slow loading, or preferences that don't "hold" so have to be re-entered over and over and over. Here are my frustrations just today...
* I came on the site today to comment on the weather history for PWS pages, but after sorting and reviewing what has been written, I found that the filters were simple word filters, rather than meaningful groupings. Even on this blog page there is supposed to be a filter using a 5 point Likert scale. That's not a meaningful a sort for this page. No matter what I choose of that menu, the comments continue to be listed in the order in which they were posted. So that's another useless menu and a meaningless sort.
* I've posted several suggestions, but can't find them because I didn't realize until today that I was required to sign in separately in order to post. Since I stay signed in, I thought I was signed in for all purposes.
* In the settings area we are offered C or F, but on the preferences page, we are offered English, Metric or Both. The choice of Both has to be made each visit in order to use it. Otherwise C or F overrides the chosen preference of Both.
* On my preferred PWS page I'm given a menu of either data or widgets. Widgets have never shown up when I tried the menu. Or maybe I didn't wait long enough.
* On my preferred PWS page I am offered a menu, under weather history, of Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Custom. I want Weekly, but have to enter it each time because the default is Daily. Often I can't even get through the next click before it re-sets. Or, I select Weekly and I get 2 weeks of data that have been smoothed -- not what I want, either. I don't understand why the program doesn't pick up on my preference of weekly and keep it until I change it.
* I'm embarrassed by the language used in some of the critical posts, but I'm starting to see the point -- the classic site did work, my preferences were saved, and there are so many errors on this new site that we lose confidence easily. Just documenting the errors/problems/suggestions I encountered today took a lot of time and I may not have made my comments clear. I really did want to just say "throw it out" or "bring back the classic". I'm sure you want to support your staff or partners and grow this site, but many long time members seem to think this is a poor replacement for a good site. You are the face of weatherunderground and I hope the site will continue to benefit from the high standards associated with your leadership over the years.

188. Swanone
8:49 PM GMT on July 15, 2014
Its sad to see a once loved weather site turn so bad . I live in Florida and have trusted this site for the best hurricane forecast and tracking on the web. Now as hurricane season is here I look and fumble around wishing the info would appear . I also got the phone app on my phone and that is just as bad . weather bug here I come . I will keep weather underground on my laptop so I can see if it has improved at all but I don't have much hope
187. cparishjr
1:32 PM GMT on July 15, 2014
I despise the new site. I preferred the simpler site of the pre weather channel days. I was a paid subscriber back then. A quote from the movie Twister comes to mind. " Jonas Miller. He's a nightcrawler. We all started out working in the same lab, but Jonas went out and got some corporate sponsors. He's in it for the money not the science. He has a lot of high tech gadgets, but he doesn't have any instinct, and he doesn't have Dorothy."
186. Xwild
6:28 PM GMT on July 06, 2014
Love having to pull up the classic site in order to change the station I'm looking at. Seems you've managed to break the station change page similar to how graphs was broken originally. Chrome on Linux user. Completely kills my display when I go to the station change page. Have to do a full restart.

Guess it's time to start looking for other weather sites, and stop having my weather station send updates to Wunderground.
185. Graldrich
6:31 PM GMT on July 01, 2014
Are you trying to ruin this just like weather.com, which I stopped visiting years ago ?
Go back the old site before weather com bought it !
!
184. boykindog
5:08 PM GMT on July 01, 2014
Scroll, scroll, scroll, click, click ,click, so much wasted time just finding what I'm looking for. Must have hired the ninny from yahoo to ruin this place too. Guess I'll go back to looking out the window for the weather, its easier than using this website .
183. f161ub
11:37 AM GMT on June 30, 2014
What happened to the birds eye view???? Have I missed something? Been using this for years....
182. Bogon
10:56 PM GMT on June 24, 2014
This weekend I fired up Internet Explorer to view my blog here at Weather Underground. I wanted to look at the MJO phase chart and compare its appearance in IE with my usual browser, Firefox (Mozilla).

The CPC phase chart has been problematic for a while now. In Internet Explorer it looks fine. In Firefox, for some reason, it displays incorrectly. I don't think it's WU's fault, because it looks the same at the Climate Prediction Center. The Australian version looks the same in both browsers.

One thing I noticed, which is why I'm leaving this comment now, is that pictures in my blog look better in Internet Explorer. They fill the width of the column. In Firefox they are constrained to some arbitrary width (~480 pixels). Is this something you can fix? If not, is it something that I can fix? (Firefox has a number of hidden settings that are not necessarily well documented.) I would appreciate any advice you could give me.
181. UnobtrusiveTroll10
1:46 PM GMT on June 23, 2014
Oh... and I give an overall Thumbs Up to the redesign
Quoting 180. UnobtrusiveTroll10:

Good Morning All!

Oh my goodness I beg of you to bring back the 'big list' of storms that used to be below the big map of Nexrad Radar sites. I feel so lost without them being there. The first thing I do (did) when I open up Wunderground.com is go to the U.S. Nexrad page and do a quick scan of storms across the country - and because I'm a nerd I used that resource throughout my day to get a quick overview of what is going on and where. Now, to retrieve those juicy data tid-bits I need to click on a specific nexrad site. Oh am I ever sad.

I know that your research, along with all the professional resources you all utilized to redesign the site all told you: "Make it nice and clean and buttery smooth, round the corners, tune down the clutter, and turn this site into a lean, mean, weather machine!" --- and I get that, I really do, but for the love of a little meaningful business could you kindly bring back the list of U.S storms to accompany the U.S. Nexrad map? Am I asking too much? I don't want to return to the 'good old days', or go back to the stone ages... just this one thing? What do you think? Please?(!)

Respectfully,

Mike , aka UnobtrusiveTroll10
Traverse City, Michigan 49686
180. UnobtrusiveTroll10
1:43 PM GMT on June 23, 2014
Good Morning All!

Respectfully,

Mike , aka UnobtrusiveTroll10
Traverse City, Michigan 49686
179. Grandledge
1:16 PM GMT on June 23, 2014
The new design completely sucks. Please go back to the old design.
178. HadesGodWyvern (Mod)
7:12 PM GMT on June 21, 2014

This current lay out is bogus, it's too busy and on my end it doesn't load right ever, no matter what I do. I am an old school kind of guy that likes things to be simple.

Is there a way to get the classic, or what ever it was called?

Classic website address
177. badbillied
3:43 PM GMT on June 21, 2014

Is there a way to get the classic, or what ever it was called?
176. LairatCC
6:37 PM GMT on June 17, 2014
What can I say? I hate it, I try to like it, but I don't. It is . . . . . . not very classy. It is not very mature looking. It is not very user friendly. I get that things need to change, to "keep up with the times", but at what expense. Nothing compares to a classic, whether it is a Caesar Salad, "the wheel" or a weather page. More is not always better. Better is better, but this is not better. I want to be positive, but find it difficult to embrace the changes made here.
175. RenoSoHill
2:11 PM GMT on June 17, 2014
Radius is a great idea - but the only way I can use it - with a magnifying glass, which I usually don't have handy. Please put the type in BOLD print instead of Baby Blue.
174. vtlady
12:57 PM GMT on June 14, 2014
Why did you have to change it? It worked very nicely. This new format is horrible. I hate it. Now it's so much more difficult to find the settings and locations I'm looking for. It used to be easy.
Change for change sake doesn't make sense. New and different isn't always better.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
173. dh1952
12:09 PM GMT on June 13, 2014
Simple is better. Words to live by. I will keep trying to like the changes (at least for a bit longer) because of how useful I always found Wunderground in the past. Did you consult with the Yahoo! weather team for ideas???
172. DataPilot
7:38 PM GMT on June 09, 2014
Will the severe performance problems on iOS ever be fixed? I've completely given up on reading Doc's blog with New WU on my iPad, which is my primary web browsing computer. The result is that I have stopped visiting Doc's blog for the most part.

Please WU developers, fix the slooooow performance of New WU on iOS.
171. Beathnay
10:24 AM GMT on June 09, 2014
wow I just love the new Setup of this website I I Also loved the Old one too. Thanks for fixing and, The hard work payed of.
170. terdo1989
11:27 PM GMT on June 03, 2014
Well I have returned a couple of times to see if things went back to the way they were - i.e. working & useful... I see from the other comments that many are in agreement that this is the worst thing that could have happened to the site.

I am off to find a better deal - frankly you are terrible and obviously don't give a damn about your users.

hope when you get fired that the new people will read this and realize your stupidity - two words... "New Coke"

terdo
169. driftingcloud
11:02 PM GMT on June 03, 2014
I'd like to see some actual functionality in the maps. The quick maps to the right of the local forecast are basically useless. I can't get the wundermap to store my preference for the visible satellite nor will it show up on the quick maps. The maps themselves are too stylized. The webcam section - the webcam offerings on the previous sites were were actually useful. when i finally get the wundermap to have the criteria i want, it doesn't update. It used to be if you left wundermap open and went back to it later, it would be current. Now i have to refresh the screen and set up my preference all over again.

Even with the latest inquiry about page loading speed, it still takes too long. I also find that the phone app doesn't load to a current page when i use it so there again i have to refresh the screen.
168. BriarCraft
4:47 PM GMT on May 30, 2014
The forecast page loads reasonably well for me now. The first screen of the forecast page is there in about one second. It takes 4-5 seconds for the stuff at the bottom of the multi-scroll-down screen to appear.

It is nice that the radar map is reasonably scaled so that I can see what's coming without having to zoom way out. I still prefer the ClassicWU forecast page because I can see everything I want at a glance instead of having to scroll all over the place.

Thanks for restoring the 4 photos in the blog sidebar. Now, if there was some practical way to read and comment in blogs without having 2 tabs open, it would be nice. How else can one start a comment, refer to someone else's comment, and then find one's own comment-in-progress where it is buried somewhere in the middle?

I'd say NUWU is ALMOST READY for prime time. Almost, but not quite, judging from Barefoot's comment.

Oh, and it would be nice to have a font that differentiates between an uppercase i and a lowercase L -- as in "Il". And can you tell that the middle letter here is a lowercase i -- aim. And you say this font is more readable? Guess again.
167. Barefootontherocks
3:23 PM GMT on May 30, 2014
Ps. Thanks to admin/developers for putting the four recent photos back on the individual blog pages.

Still hoping you'll reinstate the link to nearby blogs on the local forecast pages - after you fix your major issues.
166. Barefootontherocks
3:12 PM GMT on May 30, 2014
I keep trying to use the new site in hopes the pages will load without the crawly script, that there will be an option for changing local forecast page default from wundermap to NEXRAD - and that the NEXRAD dropdowns will work. No dice on all three issues today.

NOTE: There is now a survey on the local forecast page that allows a vote (scale of 1-10) for how quickly the local forecast page loads. Indicates the site's ongoing concern about this slow load?
165. Campdoctor
5:54 PM GMT on May 28, 2014
We're unable to add a new city/town to the favorites for use in the weather alerts. Apps are not in the budget and the staff don't carry iphones or androids while working with campers/clients, so the weather alert is of major importance. Is there a procedure to accomplish this?
164. ncnative
11:51 AM GMT on May 18, 2014
Love the redesign. Like anything else, it takes a little getting use to. Not a big deal. One thing I would like to see added... humidity levels added to the 10 day graph. This graph is a great snapshot view of the weather! With humidity levels added, I can quickly see everything needed for planning the day. Keep up the good work.
163. BriarCraft
5:35 AM GMT on May 18, 2014
Because of all the difficulties and design deficiencies of NUWU, my latest blog is dedicated to User Tips and workarounds. If you need help using NUWU or have some tips and tricks to share, please stop by.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/BriarCraft/comme nt.html?entrynum=74
- or -
http://classic.wunderground.com/blog/BriarCraft/c omment.html?entrynum=74
162. BuddyL9
6:51 PM GMT on May 13, 2014
OMG - What have you done to your site? You wrecked it!

I haven't been here in a while, what a disaster. This looks like it was designed for 3rd graders.

Good luck, see ya.
161. b0ilerman
2:44 PM GMT on May 12, 2014
surprised i got this far. wundermap doesn't work at all anymore on this computer.

strange how it looks different on each of the three machines i use.
anymore, the only machine it works on is the mac. too bad, it's the least used machine for me.

have to start using local news i guess. (three screens in to log in?)

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

(yahoo's going in the trash soon too!)
160. CRT
8:48 PM GMT on May 11, 2014
I also really dislike the new site. Seems very dumbed down, hard to navigate and no longer accurate. I checked yesterday and site said the temp was 97 with a heat index of something like 102. The NWS and other sites reported around the mid 80's. I understand some fluctuations but not THAT much. (I do have a screen snapshot, I'm just not at my home PC now.) The site is now so slow, that I just don't bother with it. I comeback every now and then to check if any improvements were made. The last 10 years were good, but time to move on....
159. PedleyCA
11:56 PM GMT on May 10, 2014
The web address for your store is: store.wunderground.com but when you click the link you get: http://www.printfection.com/customer/store_error.p hp It seems to me that you won't be selling any merchandise online this way. Just another thing that was foisted upon us without testing it in Alpha. Keep trying!!!!!
158. callmePaul
10:57 PM GMT on May 10, 2014
Quoting 149. aslikny:

It seems like you are old. This new design is awesome. Ask some young friends to help you navigate on the new design.

It seems like you are young, the new site is cartoonish that must be why you like it.
157. mhb1014
9:48 PM GMT on May 10, 2014
i can't tell you how much i hate the new website. the new app is great, the new website is terrible. reconsider.
156. hillcountryheart
8:45 AM GMT on May 10, 2014
I despise the design so much I'm going back to the telnet approach. Seriously. I knew that when TWC bought WU there would be blood... and here it is. Why change something that WORKS?!
155. MaxWeather
2:49 AM GMT on May 09, 2014
why can I not see who pluses my own blog when I mouse or click over the number at the top?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5Blog Index

Weather Underground Product Team

About wuproductteam

Product and technology updates from the Weather Underground. Great new things are coming!