Help Us Develop A Site-wide Alert System

By: Shaun Tanner , 4:47 PM GMT on May 16, 2013

One of our high priority goals for the website is to develop a site-wide alert system where you can see the alerts for your area on ANY page within the website. This is something we have wanted for some time, and have made room to develop the product.

We do feel it is very important to communicate to our users the most important information to them as simply as possible. To that end, WE NEED YOUR HELP! If you have a very quick minute to fill out this survey to help us understand how you utilize severe weather alerts, it would be of great benefit to us.

I promise, it doesn't take more than a minute, unless you want it to. Thank you for your help and thank you for using our site!

The survey can be found here.

23. yyyyyy
6:55 PM GMT on May 25, 2013
Quoting mongohumor:
I do wish comments referring to politically charged issues like 'global warming' be left out of weather analysis. This science is too suspect because it involves people whose motivations are suspect.

Have you checked the global temperature measurements at all. There is nothing political about a thermometer. The earth is warming, pure and simple.
5:01 PM GMT on May 23, 2013
shauntanner has created a new entry.
21. bogart99
3:18 PM GMT on May 21, 2013
It's easy to find stuff on the web; I'd be a lot more interested in a system we could structure to send alerts of our choosing to portable devices. Right now as far as I can tell the only such services require that one receive all alerts, which living in the US SE means I'm forever being disturbed by warnings about heat and thunder storms, neither of which I'm worried about sneaking up on me. As a result, I got rid of my alerts, but it sure would be nice to be able to be warned just about tornados -- they're rare around here and not (to date) as powerful as what's just ravaged OK, but as those events show us, sudden and deadly.
20. dawnbyrd
1:21 PM GMT on May 19, 2013
I personally do not want alerts following me around the site, cluttering up pages with information which I already learned from the local pages. Popups of brand new postings might be useful for some folks.

As a member, your Personal Weather Alerts are a bonus; and the Alerts as currently presented on the local pages, and on the Favorites page, are plenty sufficient.

If implemented, please permit members the option to disable it. Thanks.

19. Wad219
7:13 AM GMT on May 17, 2013
Quoting Wad219:

Your Comment:

Rich TextQ uoting wilberpost:
Dear Mongohumor;
I'm a farmer.
I live in the land and the climate, and I know how it is changing, no motivations other than being able to farm in an ecologically appropriate way and being successful while doing so. Mongo there clearly hasn't noticed what is readily apparent to so many of us who are in tune with the earth, as well as to the scientists.(And to the Inu and the polar bears...) You will find that the only scientists who are NOT acknowledging the existence of rapid, human induced climate change are the ones in the pay of the petro industry.
That said....my response to the survey is that I want advisories to be sooner than "when we are more certain". Especially frost and freeze advisories. When they wait until, say, 1AM, to release a statement, it's too late for us farmies to do anything about it! Earlier, even if wrong, still beats too late to deal. Just as they're happy to release severe weather watches early in the interest of safety, release those frost and freeze potential advisories so we can do something to protect our crops!

A p.s. to Mongo; even if you don't want to believe the science, it's NEVER wrong to behave in a way to protect the climate and the planet! If you want to keep eating, try to help protect the climate that makes it possible for people like me to grow your food!

Submit Cancel

18. Wad219
7:11 AM GMT on May 17, 2013
Quoting wilberpost:
Dear Mongohumor;
I'm a farmer.

17. wilberpost
4:05 AM GMT on May 17, 2013
Dear Mongohumor;
I'm a farmer.

16. MNTornado
3:34 AM GMT on May 17, 2013
I use as many weather and warning information sources as I can depending on what is available and where I'm located at the time. I use the TV, radio, NOAA radio with S.A.M.E codes, Weather Underground, Accuweather, Weather Channel, Weather Nation, iOS devices like iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android phones and tablet computers. The National Weather Service (NWS), Storm Prediction Center (SPC).

Experience has taught me to never underestimate how fast the weather can change and the need to stay alert and informed on what to expect and what is happening.
15. KimberlyB
1:24 AM GMT on May 17, 2013
Quoting toolmaker4109:
whats wrong with using a s.a.m.e. weather radio to be alerted?

Nothing at all. But why not provide another option for those without a radio or without access to one at the time, like if one was at work?
14. BigDan001
1:13 AM GMT on May 17, 2013
the concern i have is this; the weather for my zip is not from my zip but from one 40 miles away and where i live, that is a huge elevation and valley change. i do like this site and use it daily however, it is way off from my Oregon sci pro wireless weather station. i have learned how to adjust the info to my area though.
13. toolmaker4109
12:38 AM GMT on May 17, 2013
whats wrong with using a s.a.m.e. weather radio to be alerted?
12. Kate199
11:54 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
I live in 21502 Cumberland, MD area. We are often left out with notice of severe weather. Sometimes severe weather is occurring during winter season or even summer season with weather reports showing clear and no warnings. When we got hit with the Derecho last summer we were not warned of it. It was so severe out here when we got hit by it and I was stuck driving home in it because my boss said it does not look that bad out there. We had no clue what was going on we were not warned one bit of it. Sure enough, little did I know I was driving in the middle of tornado weather. I couldn't see at night in this madness. I had no idea huge trees with 15 foot base trunks were being sucked out of the ground coming at my car. I knew what what kind of weather it was when driving in it, but without radio signals when wiped out by the storm or advance notice I would have stayed put at my work until storm was over. I was lucky to have driven through it safely. It's not just this website we are without warnings often it's Weatherbug and the Weather Channel. We've had earthquakes out here as well left unreported. Nothing too severe though. The point is, what if we get hit by something severe enough to be very life threatening we have to take cover? It's tough to believe severe weather occurs in the valley's of mountains thinking because the ground is not flat the storms will break a part, but believe it or not I've seen some insane weather out here left unreported and unnoticed..I have had my run in with an F1 tornado as well.
Without warnings, we don't know, and we can't prepare. That's how it goes in this part of Maryland for us.
11. Kittykatz
10:19 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
My problem is that I live in one zip and work in another--50 miles away. I check the alerts for where ever I'm at. If it's a winter storm rolling up the East Coast, I'd better make tracks fast since home will be clobbered first being south of the workplace. Oddly enough, the weather can be quite different in each place; seen that happen when a front stalls between making it sunny and warm at home, storm and rain for the commute, then cool and cloudy at the workplace.
10. Shipoopi
10:17 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
Having a site-wide alert system is a fabulous idea. I hope that your team puts careful thought into it and properly implements it. If done properly it could be the best anywhere on the web.

Now, in regard to the following comment:
Quoting mongohumor:

It's only politically charged because corporations, and the politicians they have bought off, have decided to make it so. They invented the myth - and yes, it is a myth - that climate scientists are divided over global warming. They are NOT (underlined). The only question is to what extent human activity is playing a role. However, the bulk of the science so far has demonstrated that man has at least a moderate impact on global climate conditions. If you investigate the topic thoroughly and without political bias you will be shocked when you discover that the most vocal dissenters are under corporate sponsorship. Follow the money.
9. mongohumor
10:02 PM GMT on May 16, 2013

8. Carol2000
9:04 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
I have a weather radio, and I go to the zip code page if something is imminent. I don't think an alert thing following me around would add anything I need.
7. richteas
8:34 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
IF I could have ANYTHING, I'd ask that Our Watches and Warnings come from a Location WEST of Me, rather than East. Very Often, the Dangerous Stuff, is already past us, before the Warnings Even Go Up. Though I'll assume that it's the Nation Weather Service that would need to Change That...Darn!
OR This, How About a Temp. Reading that ALWAYS Displays in the Start Menu Bar at the bottom of the page, Whether Your At W.U. or Not, AND, in the Event of Severe Events, That Reading could Turn RED as a 'Heads Up' and telling us We SHOULD BE at Weather Underground! Hey, it's just an idea....?!
6. sar2401
7:05 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
The comment box worked fine for me. My biggest request is that a warning that covers my zip code is highlighted on radar in a different color than the rest of the state. In Alabama, it's common to have multiple STW's and tornado watches and warnings at the same time. The clutter of all the warning and watch boxes sometimes makes it difficult to quickly spot my area. Overall, WU still does a better job than the NWS in terms of radar presentation.
5. xaviersstorm
6:59 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
I have a weather radio and a couple of alert systems on my smartphone. Thank you, though.
4. Midweststorm
6:41 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
I completed it as well - I think if we had a way to select types of alerts (if your logged in) that would rock - even if it was for subscription only, I would still use it. Now if your phone app did that.....would be perfect.!
3. KEEPEROFTHEGATE (Mod)
6:31 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
survey complete happy to help
2. GardenGrrl
6:30 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
I think I get enough heads up going to my zip code page. That's where I go to see the weather and radar.

Alerts are posted on those pages and they prompt me to both check the radar and look outside.

Sadly, if a tornado is coming; myself, most of Lewisville, Flower Mound, Coppell and other local suburbs have no place to take shelter besides our basement-less homes.
1. pamlady911
5:57 PM GMT on May 16, 2013
Dont ask for comments and concerns (in your survey) then not give us room to type a complete sentence! SMH!

Wunderground Meteorologist Shaun Tanner

About shauntanner

Shaun Tanner has been a meteorologist at Weather Underground since 2004.

shauntanner's Recent Photos