MONDAY'S QUESTION OF THE DAY.

By: ricderr , 11:43 AM GMT on April 09, 2007

Today's question of the day is for me one of the hard ones and becomes personal and as such I'm not sure if I care to share my answer and so would understand anyone elses reluctance. I was watching the news this morning and they were reporting about a shooting and from the background you could tell it was in a poor neighborhood. They were interviewing neighbors that had witnessed the shooting and these people were mostly describing their shock and horror at it all and one woman described that her children were and would remain traumatized about it and she basically said that because of the shooting someone needed to move her and her family out and to somewhere better. My first inclination was to be upset, why should I have to be resposnsible for her. Tell her to work and better herself so she can move out. Then that was conflicted with, should we allow that type of crime, that type of lifestyle derived from a world of poverty. Should we be trying to do more to end it? In effect, are we truly responsible for each other, not just family and self. So, I guess the question is:

Do we owe it to this lady to move her out of the neighborhood?

32. BABYGURL
2:47 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Ric,

I would truly have to know more about this woman to answer that. What has she done to help herself? How did she end up in this neighborhood? Is she on welfare for the last 5 or six years w/ 4 or 5 kids and no job?

I came from a poor family,raised by a single mom who made less the 18k a year. I went to public school did my homework w/ my sister cause mom was always at work. I ended up having good grades and got a scholarship. My second year of college, got pregnant ended up on welfare,lived in an area everyone called crack alley, had a baby stayed on welfare for 1 yr., keep truckin' away at school and now I make 6x's what my momma made. If I can do it, so can anyone else. If she is on welfare then she is already being helped and if she can't use that as a stepping stone that's her problem. If she is already trying to help herself, I would have no problem at all doing whatever possible to help her.
31. Oreodog
2:39 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
I think the question is flawed. Few among us would ever answer that question with a "yes." It is loaded. A similar question would be "Should the government allow militants with the goal of destroying the economy and infrastructure in America free reign and access to our country?" Of course the answer is "no." This is the kind of question that turns up in the polling put our by the political parties, candidates, and their hacks. It is aimed at raising everyone's ire -- as though if you don't agree with ___ (fill in the name of the party/person being polled for) you are Satan incarnate.

Flawed questions, however, hurt the issue. God's work and God's word is not about keeping us from homosexuals or enforcing the morality concocted by some dudes in capes and hats 1900 years ago -- rather, it is about the journey toward selfless sharing -- realizing that we are human and are not always/often/ever prone toward those goals. It is about being the tide, not the jellyfish. The tide comes in and lifts all boats. The jellyfish comes in, keeps itself relatively safe by stinging all threats and keeping to itself, sharing nothing, until some predator with defenses against its sting devours it. Public or universal health, poverty relief, education for all, providing the means to achieve -- that is how we help get that woman out of her house.

And that's all I got to say about that.
30. Patrap
2:26 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Typical.....conservative view,Now for a real root cause,The one who did the shooting.How does one address that ? Actually.If this occurred in most posters hoods,They would be saying ..How did this happen?..ANd how does one know..but presume that these folks are on Welfare?Thats a very unfair and biased assessment to get and give from a News clip.Was this in Fla.?..I expect there is Poverty there too.Or am I mistaken?
29. Patrap
2:22 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
LOL!
28. mobal
1:48 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Do we owe it to this lady to move her out of the neighborhood?

The government should not be an agent to those seeking unearned advantage. Be it housing, or any other benefit that the "Welfare State" has created.
27. ricderr
1:40 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Let um fail I say. Period

see pat.....i agree...they're a business..let them fail....then....that's where my conscious comes in and kicks me in the butt....what about the employee...that worked for them faithfully for 28 years..and was waiting for that final 2..so he could reap the benefits of a retirement...the secretary..that endured 05...and needs this job to take care of her family...there's no easy answers.....one of the reasons i like these topics...is it makes us look past the "veneer"
25. weatherguy03
1:38 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Its all good Ric. Sometimes we have to get serious. It shows you have compassion.
24. Patrap
1:28 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
The Fed and Admin allocated 300 million for Power and Generating capacity increases for Iraq in 2006.We got zip. Now thats a bad choice. ANYWAY you slice that cookie.
23. Patrap
1:25 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
But one thing in clarity ric..They missing 200,000 customers.Theres only 12% back in homes here that were flooded.How they gonna make it with 38% of their paying base relocated still?.LOL. They just reaping the benefits of letting the infrastructure collapse to a point where a Barely Cat-1 did them in 7 weeks before Katrina, Cindy. Then the Lord smited Entergy in Aug 05 and now they crying in their soup.Let um fail I say. Period. then we can do it again with a Better operator. " No Juice for You!..Come back 25 years!".
22. ricderr
1:18 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
yeah pat...we saw that with FPL....they hacked up their rates so we not only can pay for our electricity...we can pay extra that they can maintain the same profits when the next storm hits..and of course...if no storm hits..they can enjoy the interest on the principle....
21. Patrap
1:17 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Like I said..its all heaped on the lower beings..US.the masses.The Gov refused to pay a small percentage of the Fund..10percent.So this occurs. It dont affect me.because I live in another Parish. But these kinda increases hurt all the people.Buissness and families. ALL classes..all races. One can see the veneer here..in this blog.I for one.Dont throw stones. Bad Karma. Usually it will come round and bite one on the Butt. Not much azz left on Patrap..LOL
20. ricderr
1:16 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
So, when does the funny Ric come back??

bob...thanks....like anyone else...i need a kick in the butt once in awhile........this afternoon....will change this blog...to some irreverant humor...becky sent me an email and i'll upload the pics to photobucket and share with all
19. Patrap
1:14 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Morning "Latte Spill"...
Entergy to begin charging for fund
Fee provides reserve for future storms

Monday, April 09, 2007
By Pam Radtke Russell

Entergy New Orleans customers' bills will be a little bit longer and a little bit higher this month as the utility begins to build up a $75 million fund to pay for damages from future storms.

The "storm reserve rider," as listed on bills under both gas and electric service, will cost the average household $2.59 a month: $2.01 for electric service and 58 cents for gas service.

The charges were approved in October by the New Orleans City Council as part of a settlement with Entergy New Orleans, which asked to raise rates and to create a storm reserve fund. The settlement also calls for natural gas rates to increase this month by about 2 percent, or $3.75 a month for the average customer. In all, the agreement allows Entergy to raise electric and gas rates, including the storm reserve rider, by about 7.5 percent through April 2009.

Entergy New Orleans had insisted that it be allowed to collect money for a storm reserve fund, saying such a fund might be necessary for it to emerge from bankruptcy. Entergy New Orleans has been in bankruptcy since weeks after Hurricane Katrina but is still operating.

In part, the company went into bankruptcy because it did not have the cash flow to repair damage to its gas and electric systems. The reserve fund is expected to be sufficient to cover damage from future storms while averting any similar financial crisis.

"We know any bill increase, particularly in these difficult times, is unpopular. But we also know that after a storm, everyone wants their lights turned on as quickly as possible, and given the post-Katrina realities, this is the most responsible way to achieve that goal," said Morgan Stewart, a spokesman for Entergy New Orleans. "The storm reserve gives Entergy New Orleans the ability to restore the New Orleans electric and gas systems following future disasters, without burdening customers with the costs."

Entergy had originally requested that it be allowed to collect about $6 per month from every customer to create a $150 million fund. That request was deemed excessive by the City Council Utilities Committee and cut to $75 million.

The fee will be collected for 10 years. The City Council will review the collections in five years to make sure the fund amount is "appropriate," according to the agreement between the city and Entergy.

According to the agreement with the city, the money will be put in a separate "lock box" escrow fund that Entergy New Orleans will not be able to access unless it incurs at least $500,000 in storm costs.

As interest accumulates in the account, Councilwoman Shelley Midura said, it might become possible to reduce the amount collected.

Midura also said that such a fund, because it will provide assurances that Entergy New Orleans can better survive future storms, will allow the company to borrow money at lower rates, a savings that eventually could be passed on to customers.

Storm reserves were developed because standard insurance is not readily available on wires, poles and other portions of a utility's system that are most likely to be damaged in a hurricane. They aren't unique to New Orleans, nor are they unprecedented here.

Though it wasn't collected under a separate line item on customer bills, Entergy New Orleans had such a fund until it was wiped out by Hurricane Cindy in 2005.

As part of its agreement with the city, Entergy agreed to work with the city to urge that Congress amend the Stafford Act, which governs emergency federal spending. The amendment would allow the Federal Emergency Management Agency to cover the cost of utility damage in future storms.

If such a change were made, the storm reserve rider could become unnecessary, Midura said.
18. ricderr
1:14 PM GMT on April 09, 2007

truer words never more spoken pat......
17. weatherguy03
1:13 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
No. Tell her to get the heck out of South Florida!!
16. ihave27windows
1:13 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
I agree with Bob.
15. Patrap
1:09 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Then you know ric..just how Hard those things are to overcome. Socially..and economicaly.
14. Patrap
1:07 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Screw Gov,,they lost in the High weeds...LOL One can do plenty without them.I feel very strongly about that. They cant tie shoelaces without a vote on how, where and who'll get the contract.
13. ricderr
1:06 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
yeah pat...i see your point.....we as a goverment...can take better care of the world than out own.....not so sure i agree with the 'no option"....i think we all have options...just for some.....have to work harder at it than others...i grew up poor...was born into a welfare house with a father in jail...i didn't escape unharmed from that...i carry the baggage and the scars....but luckily...i don't have to carry on the tradition
12. weatherguy03
1:05 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
So, when does the funny Ric come back??
11. oakland
1:05 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Also, a sincere cry for help (while exhausting all options available to you) and "expecting" help are two completely different things.

This says what I was trying to say better than I did. If a person is just not making it while trying to help himself then yes I'll be more than happy to help along the way. However, someone looking for a free handout is not someone I'm inclined to assist.
10. Patrap
1:01 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Send twenty bucks..youll be Immediately helping 12 children.
9. MisterPerfect
1:01 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Tell her to move to my neighborhood where she will be surrounded by thousands and thousands of people that don't speak English. She will have to buy an english/spanish dictionary just to ask for help, let alone get any. Alienated, she will keep her children inside and away from the streets, thus, her children will lead safe lives in isolation.
8. Patrap
1:00 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Our Mission
Boys Hope Girls Hope helps academically capable and motivated children-in-need to meet their full potential and become men and women for others by providing value-centered, family-like homes, opportunities and education through college..Heres one way we do it.My lil slice of Helping here..Way before The Aug 05 thing. Link
7. Patrap
12:58 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Lotsa folks have NO option...its called poverty.
6. Patrap
12:57 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Sounds like a "THEy..or THEM" thing to me. Humans can uplift other Humans everyday. But one needs the tools..like Education,fair and AFFORDABLE housing.Proper schools. Everyone has the obligation to uplift a blighted area. Hell..weve got 60 square miles of Blight.But Baghdad gets all the cool Media press. One womans struggle to safely raise her children should not be turned into a Gee!..Im a much better person because Im on the Higher hill...My take, a personal view,Nothing more
5. ricderr
12:57 PM GMT on April 09, 2007

meltimi.......to me..you just hit on the cruxof the matter
4. meltemi
12:52 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
I agree, in a sense, with oakland. At the risk of sounding like the bad guy on this issue, I'll say this:

Everyone is responsible for his or herself. If I'm in a bind, I am the only person I can rely on to get myself out of it. If I've moved my family into a neighborhood that becomes unsafe, it's my responsibility to take action- whatever action I deem necessary. If I couldn't move right away, I'd have to do whatever I could to keep my children as safe as possible in the interim. They might be upset, but playing outside at night would be prohibited. I'd make sure they weren't walking to school alone. And I'd get a second job and a $5/hour babysitter if I had to in order to raise the money to move elsewhere. There is always an option.

I also believe if we see someone in our community in need (or in any community for that matter, whatever touches our hearts) and we want to help, we should do so as often as we can, for as many as we can. First and foremost, however, we have to take care of our own lives and our own families- there's no guarantee anyone else will be helping them while we're busy helping someone else.

3. oakland
12:42 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Bad parenting begets bad parenting but with effort you can at least start to break that vicious cycle. My husband and I both grew up with alcoholic depressive mothers. When we got married yes we made a lot of mistakes but made a concious(sp?) effort to do better and not follow in our parents footsteps. Our lives and our children's lives are better, not perfect, for our efforts.

Now in answer to your question I think it's a matter of making an effort to change for both the woman and her community. IMO it is not our responsibility to move her to a better community. I would be willing to help her help herself but I would not do all of the changing for her and just give her a new place to live.
2. ricderr
12:38 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
you know dear all hail.......you vote for hilary.....to offset that vote....i'll have to vote for.....crap...i can't stand her...pat robertson.....LOL

ok....to the subject at hand.....are you saying then....that.....if we volunteer...we help out...even if she doesn't get moved...we've done our part?.....i can question you...cus..i live with you..LOL....now...get to work!!!

1. AllHailMom
12:25 PM GMT on April 09, 2007
Oh jeez
yeah I think that every community can help it's own community.
Like my Lady Friend Hilary said it takes a village to raise a child (or some lady somewhere said it).
Everyone can find themselves on the "down side" of things and especially kids can be trapped, no training requirement for parenthood (as we both know!) so it becomes a viscious cycle of bad parenting begetting bad parenting and if there is no one to set a positive example all you know is what went before.
Do WE owe THAT family a ticket to valhalla? Not necessarily, but communities (the people) can help families and everyone can do some small thing to help their community to be a better place and so on.
Volunteer, give, work, recycle, be a foster parent, big brother/sister, mentor, habitat for humanity volunteer. you get the point

I'm Glad I'm Not You, Cus Then I Wouldn't Be Me

About ricderr

This is a blog for "people". You're not defined by your latest & greatest. You are you and that's great enough.