A Trip to the Corner Store

By: plapman , 1:33 PM GMT on February 02, 2014

Today will be cloudy with a 40% chance of flurries. The wind becoming southwest at 20 km/h near noon. The high will be -10C(14F).
Tonight will remain cloudy with the 40% chance of flurries continuing this evening and after midnight then partly cloudy. The wind up to will be 15 km/h. The overnight low will be -22C(-8F) but the wind will make it feel like -30C(-22F)
------------------------------------------------- ---
Last night on a trip to the corner store. We met a couple who had walked across town and were cold and asking for a ride home. It turns out that they were cousins of the girl who froze to death during our blizzard.
The Queen says she'll never refuse a cold person a ride again.
A surveillance camera showed that the girl who froze tried to flag down numerous cars but they drove past her. I can imagine what those drivers feel like now.

2:19 PM GMT on February 09, 2014
plapman has created a new entry.
7. Skyepony (Mod)
2:47 AM GMT on February 09, 2014
Looks like a lot of snow out your basement window.

..Even in the dark! Hope spring comes for you soon.
6. Alleyoops
1:18 AM GMT on February 09, 2014
Hi Tony, just waiting for this next bit of snow to blow through from the East for a change. Dad use to say we needed an Easterly blow before we could say spring was on the way. Well maybe this is it...Lets hope so. I have had enough of this cold snowy weather for this year. Hope you start warming up there too. HUGS to you and the Queen. Tummy tickles for Kramer and Abbey.
5. Thoughtsteader
11:34 PM GMT on February 07, 2014
Evening, Tony ~ Speaking of treadmills, I don't know if this is inspirational or just overwhelming, but I thought you'd be interested, anyhow.

Walk Around the World
4. bawlf
2:26 PM GMT on February 06, 2014
We certainly live in a dangerous country due to cold weather in the winter. During my dog walk it was only -21 C and within half an hour my face began to hurt and felt like frozen cardboard. I was well dressed for the weather but should have worn a scarf around my face. You can't argue with the weather and always have to plan trips and be mindful of appropriate clothing.

Whenever I travel south to Mexico or Costa Rica and I respond that I live in Canada their response is "Mas trio" which means very cold. We certainly are known for our cold weather!
3. Thoughtsteader
2:12 AM GMT on February 06, 2014
Lookie what I found to help chase away the winter blues! One of your very own Manitobians on the fiddle, playing a wintertime blues. Great music - a little cheer for days that are drear!

2. Ylee
11:07 PM GMT on February 02, 2014
Makes you wonder if anyone was minding the camera live while the girl was there. Kinda hard to understand it all, especially up there where people know what extreme cold can do. Well, if her death opens eyes so others are saved, then her death was not in vain.

Hope you are having a good day!
1. 2miler
2:15 PM GMT on February 02, 2014
hi
thank you from a carless Colorado senior who has experienced severe cold waiting for delayed buses!
Seems like people are hesitant to offer a ride to strangers which is understandable considering what the result of their generosity can be.
would expect Manitobians to have a different mindset
than folks in metro Denver!

The Northern Edge

About plapman

Retired and loving it. If I'd have known about retirement befor I started my 40 year career with the government of Manitoba I'd have retired first. :)ÍA█h

plapman's Recent Photos