Portage la Prairie The Potato capital of Canada

By: plapman , 1:47 PM GMT on August 04, 2013

Today will bring increasing cloudiness with a few showers beginning early this afternoon and a high of 2068F).
Tonight will see the chance of showers falling to 30% and an a low 1355F).
------------------------------------------------- ----
Portage is gearing up for the 10th annual Potato Festival. With 2 large potato processing plants located here we have a festival to celebrate that we're the potato capital of Canada. The festivities are held at our island park. This years headline entertainment will be April Wine.
At one time Portage claimed to be the Strawberry capital of Canada with numerous strawberry growers in the area and we had a Strawberry Festival which was held on the main street in the business section.

12:13 PM GMT on August 05, 2013
plapman has created a new entry.
4. shoreacres
11:41 AM GMT on August 05, 2013
Festivals like that always are fun. Here's what I want to know - are there potato gun contests? The first time I saw one of those things, I couldn't believe it. They're pretty big with the college kids down here. ;)
3. unclemush
11:12 AM GMT on August 05, 2013
I need a couple of potatoes for breakfast.:)
2. Ylee
4:39 AM GMT on August 05, 2013
Have you always had the revolvermap globe? Now that I'm running Google chrome, I can see a lot more than I did! Nice addition, but my location isn't blinking on the map!

Did you get your hard drive situation straightened out yet? Well, I reckon you still podting blogs is a good sign!

Doesn't the Queen work at one of the potato chip factories? If I was her, I'm not sure if I would want to go to the festival! :' )
1. masshysteria
3:18 PM GMT on August 04, 2013
Good Morning, Tony!

Currently, your webcam shows a pleasant sunshiny morning going on in your neighborhood. Unfortunately, by the looks of your weather map, La Prairie could be in for some serious downpours or storms in just a few hours. Hope this nasty system either safely passes you by or the current lovely weather manages to remain throughout the day and week.

I take it that you and the Queen might just visit your Island Park's Potato Chip Festival this year? Sounds enjoyable even if one is no longer able to consume any fried salty foods or other similar temptations. Glad to learn that your region is still able to produce enough spuds to keep local manufacturing plants alive. I know that, this year, our local/regional farmers have had a tough time growning enough summer produce for farmstands due June/July's intensely hot and very stormy weather. We must look toward the end of August before enough viable corn, strawberries, lettuce, etc. are able reach the nearby roadside stands.

Hope the remainder to your Sunday isn't a washout and better cooler weather continues for taking those daily walks!

The Northern Edge

About plapman

Retired and loving it. If I'd have known about retirement befor I started my 40 year career with the government of Manitoba I'd have retired first. :)ÍA█h

plapman's Recent Photos