Balking Tackwards

By: palmettobug53 , 3:02 AM GMT on July 29, 2007

Most of you have probably heard of young children, siblings, creating their own special language. This is very common among twins. My Bubba and I created something similiar, when he and I were around 10 and 17, respectively.

Or we thought we did. As it turns out, the Reverend William Archibald Spooner beat us to it.

Spoonerisms, as they're now called, are words or phrases in which letters or syllables are switched. In Reverend Spooner's case, they were inadvertent slips of the tongue. Bubba and I did it deliberately, for fun.

Our mom would even get in on the act, at times. She was already fluent in Pig Latin, so balking tackwards came easy to her. She could even outthink us at times. A case in point: She said, "Uh, uh, uh! Don't you dare!", when she realized I was about to say "fitted sheets" backwards! It was rather hard to get the jump on her, when playing word games! LOL

Want to have fun with spoonerisms? It's really very easy.

(Some of the following are attributed to the good Reverend; some are not)

It was roaring pain this afternoon.

Wave the sails!

Life is a chair of bowlies.

Save a heat!

Go shake a tower.

Tears my whowell?

Where's my best pooking cot?

We'll have the hags flung out!

Reverend William Archibald Spooner

Spoonerism

What can you come up with?

Warning: Really dirty spoonerisms will be deleted!

Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5Blog Index

195. incogkneetoe
7:18 AM NDT on August 14, 2007
Good Morning Bug

Hope you have an enjoyable, peaceful Tuesday
Take care and be safe.

Gary
194. SBKaren
6:37 PM PDT on August 13, 2007
Hi Bug - thanks for making my blog one of your stops. Have you gained any energy back? Have your temps brought any relief? We're actually in a pretty intense heat wave right now, but thankfully it is to be short lived. It's still 75║ here now - which is quite pleasant, but warm for this time of night. It got pretty toasty today!

The local weathermen are already gearing up to the strident warnings of death, doom and destruction. I know they want folks to be on their toes and be prepared but sometimes I think they start it so early and do it so often, it's like the little boy crying, "WOLF!" Everyone gets all in a panic and we get little or nothing. After a while, it becomes ho-hum and then when it's really a hazardous situation, they'll get ignored.

Is everyone's local weathermen/women like that? Or is it just ours?

Absolutely! Here in California all it takes is a few sprinkles to be on Storm Alert. When ever we have an earthquake the questions they ask the gal at the earthquake center - well, you can tell she's just irritated!
193. charlestonlady
1:25 AM GMT on August 14, 2007
Hi bug! Its being hyped already? dang, does this mean we should buy water tomorrow?lol
I will pick up extra for you and huri if you like! : )

Have a great tuesday and may the low heat indexes continue!
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
192. palmettobug53
1:06 AM GMT on August 14, 2007
Huri, my finger is itching to hit that panic button but I'm trying to hold it in check for a bit. It's starting to look like knuckle biting time again, isn't it? Sheesh.....

Is everyone's local weathermen/women like that? Or is it just ours?

I thought we might get a popcorn T-storm sometime this evening. Looked like it a bit on radar, earlier, but I don't see anything now.

Was watching Antiques Roadshow earlier. There's so much cool stuff that people bring in. Makes you wonder if any of the junk in your house might be an undiscovered bonanza that would pay off the mortgage, doesn't it? LOL... with my luck, my junk is probably just that: Junk. Or Junque, to give it a little class.

Need to put up a new thread but I'm waiting on inspiration.

Gonna wander around a bit and will head to bed shortly. Am trying to quit this business of sitting up until 11:00 or 11:30 during the work week. By Thursday, I feel supremely sleep-deprived!
191. hurigo
9:21 PM GMT on August 13, 2007
Oh No Bug!
There's a storm out there.
They just told us on the new not to panic yet.
Who wants to go first?
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
190. sandiquiz
8:12 PM GMT on August 13, 2007
Hi Bug
Glad you liked the images of Glencoe. Of all the mountain ranges in Scotland they are my favourite because my Dad took me and my sister up to Scotland where we stayed in a B&B at the foot of one of the crags in Glencoe. We were so lucky with the weather, sunshine and clear blue skies for the whole week ........... or am I just looking back wearing rose coloured spectacles!!

Take care - seems the weather still has more in store for you.
189. PeaceRiverBP
3:09 PM EDT on August 13, 2007
Bug; That lightning you described is what I've heard called "Heat lightning" since it happens when it's really hot out. But, I love your descriptions of it being like various alien activities! Well, one never knows!

Let's hope #4 is a fish storm!
188. palmettobug53
4:48 PM GMT on August 13, 2007
Happy Monday!

I had every intention of getting back online for a while yesterday. What with one thing or another, I never did. By the time I had some free time, I was headed to bed.

I see we have a # 4 out there. I can't even bring myself to say the "B" word...

"OHM MANNE PADME HUMMMMMMM,,, FIIIISSSHHHH SSSTOOOOORM...."
187. incogkneetoe
9:15 AM NDT on August 13, 2007
Good Morning Bug

Its monday (it is monday isn't it).
Have a good one
Take care and be safe

Gary
186. OGal
6:16 AM EDT on August 13, 2007

Myspace Graphics

Mornin Bug, hope you had a good night's sleep. It got up to 98║ here yesterday before the sky opened up and we had a little rain. It was soo appreciated. Hope for more today but I kind of doubt it. Have a cool Monday!
185. sandiquiz
10:16 AM GMT on August 13, 2007
Hello Bug,

Glad the temperature has cooled a "tad". The lightning would probably be sheet lightning, but when we were kids Mum used to call it harvest lightning, as it only ever appeared around harvest time.

Had a very good weekend, but the traffic on the way back was horrible ..... makes you think twice about going too often!!

Have a lovely Monday, and hope the heat is a little more bearable.
184. sadielady
10:07 AM GMT on August 13, 2007
OOPs!!
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
183. miawolf
11:02 AM BST on August 13, 2007
{{Bug}}
Visual Poetry - ImageChef.com
182. carolinagal
11:58 PM EDT on August 12, 2007
I had to go look for your blog - what do you think this is, the weekend or something?

Yes, the lightning Sat. night was really bright. And strange - I think you had to see it to believe it. That was definately more than heat lightning. We were in Mount Pleasant and then driving home. Around Awendaw - there was wind, rain, thunder - all pretty intense too. Then I saw a couple of streaks also - brighter than anything I've seen before also.
181. SBKaren
8:17 AM PDT on August 12, 2007
Bug - the kind of lightning you are describing sounds like sheet/ or heat lightning to me, but I'm no expert. It's what we used to call it though...but to be that constant...must have been really, really weird!
180. Mophot
3:04 PM GMT on August 12, 2007
Good morning from Hotsville!

179. palmettobug53
2:37 PM GMT on August 12, 2007
Good morning, everyone!

A tad cooler here today. More like a normal August day than what we've been having.

Had a humdinger of a storm move through last night around 10:45. Heavy rain for about 30 minutes. Haven't check my gauge yet this am, so not sure just how much.

And LOTS of really strange lightning. Not sure what you call it. I noticed it about 9 last night, to my north and east. Not bolts; the whole sky would just light up like someone was using a strobe light. Reminds me of the light in the clouds in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind or kind of like the "lightning" at the beginning of that remake of War of the Worlds. Like aliens shooting phasers in the clouds at each other's ships. This went on until after midnight. The rain had stopped here at the house about 11:15 but the storm was moving south and the sky was still lighting up constantly. It would be so bright, it was almost like daylight. Weird. And scary! What was that? Sheet lightning? Kind of reminded me of what Dad used to call heat lightning but it was much, much brighter and it was almost constant.

Not much on the agenda today. Need to wash clothes and do a run to Wally World for gas, birdseed and a few other items. I'm running a bit behind this morning; slept in very late. I was up until about 12:30 last night. Thor was inside and I knew if I left him in, he'd wake us up after an hour or two, wanting out. So waited until the worst of the lightning moved on before letting him out and going on to bed.
178. aquak9
10:40 AM EDT on August 12, 2007
G'morning Bug. Hope you enjoy a peaceful Sunday. Thought I would dig this one out for you...let's hope it stays in the garage!

177. incogkneetoe
12:03 PM NDT on August 12, 2007
Bug

Hello to you and your family from rainy Newfoundland.
Take care and be safe

Gary
176. Raysfan70
7:05 AM EDT on August 12, 2007
Good Morning {{Bugg}}

Did you get any rain?
Recieved a little here last night.
175. PeaceRiverBP
2:19 PM EDT on August 11, 2007
Bug; Things cooling off at all? It's still plenty toasty here. But, at least the tropics are quiet- we have something to be thankful for.

Take care & try to stay cool!
174. SBKaren
8:45 AM PDT on August 11, 2007
Bug - glad you are experiencing a bit of cooler weather. My daughter and I have 3 web sites that have great info on all the 50 states. There isn't anything you can't find on these sites. I'll share later - you might learn something new about your own state (although I doubt that's true for you - you are a wealth of information, especially when it comes to history! I love your mind!

Heck - have them now!

50states.com

Fact Monster

Enchanted Learning
173. Gatorxgrrrl
2:07 PM GMT on August 11, 2007
Morning ! Have a great weekend!

lolcats funny cat pictures
172. sngalla
10:04 AM EDT on August 11, 2007
d

Morning Bug! Just following you around the blogs again. Lol! Have a great day and try to stay cool. That's my plan, too!
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
171. palmettobug53
12:40 PM GMT on August 11, 2007
Good morning! It's cloudy and COOL out there!
The temps on the personal weather stations in our area range from around 76║ to 82║, and the heat indices from 76║ to 90║. Compared to what it's been like the past week, that IS cool, let me tell ya!

Sandi, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Karen, yes, I have been drinking a lot and sucking on ice cubes. One of my coworkers told me that she and her hubby got in their pool after work Wed, thinking they would try to cool off. It didnt' work. The pool temp was 95║ and they felt like a couple of poached eggs. Have no idea if their pool was inground or not. Inground pools here are considered a bit of a luxery item. Most pools you see are the above ground types, which I imaging probably ARE much hotter.

LES! My goodness! Long time no see! How've ya been doin'?

Rays, Mia and Gary, Happy Saturday to you, too!
Hope ya'll have a great weekend.

GAMS! What are you doing out of bed?! You march yourself right back in there young lady and rest up! Pneumonia is nothing to fool around with and we want you in tip top shape when you go back to the doctor!

I know what you mean about the electric bill - our poor little window unit has really been straining to keep the temps inside down to a tolerable level, with varying degrees of success. Late afternoons and early evenings, it's rather warm in here. (OK, OK... It's gets HOT!) It's supposed to cut on and off, keeping the temps at a constant level. This past week, it's run continuously. I have been cutting it off for about an hour in the coolth of the early morning, to give it a bit of a rest.

Just noticed we are already back under an Excessive Heat Warning. Yech....

Some interesting trivia from the NWS:
Record high temperature tied at Charleston International
Airport...
... Record high minimum temperatures set at Charleston International
Airport and downtown Charleston...

A record high temperature of 99 degrees was reached at Charleston
International Airport yesterday. This ties the old record of 99 set
in 1987.

A record high minimum temperature of 80 degrees was set at
Charleston International Airport yesterday. This breaks the old
record of 79 degrees set in 1937. This is the 4th consecutive day
that a record high minimum temperature has been tied or broken at
Charleston International Airport.

A record high minimum temperature of 83 degrees was set at
Waterfront Park in downtown Charleston yesterday. This breaks the
old record of 80 degrees set in 1987. This is the 4th consecutive
day that a record high minimum temperature has been broken at
Waterfront Park in downtown Charleston.

170. incogkneetoe
9:44 AM NDT on August 11, 2007
Bug

Good Morning from Sunny Newfounfdand.
No matter what you have to do, have a great day.
Take care, relax and enjoy.

Gary
169. seflagamma
8:07 AM AST on August 11, 2007
bug,

good morning to you. Sure hope your area gets a little break from the heat. I tell you I dread getting our electric bill this next time. It already runs over $300 in summer but for past 3 weeks It has had to be on full blast all of the time, especially at night. We usually put it on 80 when we leave for work.

you take care and have a great weekend!
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
168. miawolf
11:33 AM BST on August 11, 2007
{{Bug}}

glitter-graphics.com
167. Raysfan70
6:30 AM EDT on August 11, 2007
{{Bugg}}

Have a Great Weekend. :-)
166. ofieldstream
2:12 AM EDT on August 11, 2007
Hi Bug! Just poppin' in after posting to my blog. Seeing who's 'on the board' and saying, "Hello!!.

Try to keep cool. I saw a couple of posts talking about how hot it is in your area. We're hot here in Hoosierville, too! Too hot.. WAY TOO HOT for me! I like cool weather!

Take care .. 'n see you on the WU!!

les O'fieldstream
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
165. SBKaren
3:00 PM PDT on August 10, 2007
Bug - I wish I could have you all over to go down to the beach to enjoy the ocean breezes. You have dealt with enough heat for a good long while! It would make me a raving lunatic!

I bet your drinking a lot more liquids (with ice) these days!!! Good way to cool down!
164. palmettobug53
9:56 PM GMT on August 10, 2007
Yeeesh.... the heat index at the Charleston AFB is 120║. It feels like it, too.

Tomorrow will be stifling again then the temps will drop (hopefully) to 92-94║. Still above average but not as high as they've been. Heat indices on those temps will most likely be under 110║

The house is hot. The poor window unit is set on 70║ but it can't get ahead of that sun baking down and the heat outside. Plus, it wasn't on all last night to kind of build up some coolth before the heat kicked back in after the sun rose.

I asked hubby when I got home, why did he wake me up to tell me the power was off? "I thought you might want to know, so you wouldn't oversleep in the morning.". I said, "Why? It was going to come back on when it came back on and I sure wasn't going to sit up awake and wait on it, just to reset the clocks. Best to just get what sleep I could and hope for the best." He got a little sheepish looking, when he heard that. Men!

I do have until 9:00 to get to work, without being considered late. I prefer to get in between 7:30 and 8:00 so that I can leave between 4:00 and 4:30.

Gonna grab a bite to eat, call my cousin and run my system scan. Hope to get back on for a bit, later.
163. sandiquiz
8:30 PM GMT on August 10, 2007
Men!!!! - That is the kind of thing my hubby would do!!

Bug - I just don't know how to say sorry about your heat, it sounds unbearable. It has dropped 10 degrees from 8:30pm to 66 degrees here, but with the back door and the conservatory door open (fitted with screen doors that I built and attached) - there has been a cooling breeze through the house. We have A/C upstairs - bought it last year when it was so, so hot - but only used it a couple of times this year so far - with June and July being so wet. They are usually the hottest months, autumn begins in September, so only, 21 days to go!

Heading north early in the morning - so have a wonderful weekend, and stay cool if you can!!
162. palmettobug53
4:42 PM GMT on August 10, 2007
TGIF!

Guess who lost power at their house last night? Guess who did not get much sleep and looks like a zombie today?

Yup.

You got it.

Bug.

Some idiot (I'm being polite, here) was running from the poh-leese and ran his car into a power pole. Not sure what time. Hubby wakes me up at 11:30 to tell me the power is off.

Hello?

What was the point of doing that? I could have swatted him.

He eventually got on up and went in to work early. I dozed off and on but don't think I ever really went back to sleep good. Woke up and fumbled for my watch and the flashlight a few times. Shed the nightie and added some more wet towels.

Couldn't have opened the windows, as hubby has them painted and caulked shut. Wouldn't have done much good; it was worse outside than it was inside. It was still hot but not unbearably so. And the humidy level was tolerable.

Came to about 4:45, with the fan blowing and all the clocks flashing. Not sure if it woke me up when it came back on or if it had been on a while.

And so much for expecting any relief. Seems like it's going to hang on through next week.
I have a few choice words for that nonsense but will refrain from sullying up the blogs with them.

You all know the words I mean.
161. OGal
6:19 AM EDT on August 10, 2007
Bug, thank so much for the birthday wishes. Heard it was 98║ in Charleston yesterday. We only got up to 97║. Really sick of this stuff. Looks like rain is on the way for the weekend. Have a terrific Friday!
160. Raysfan70
6:16 AM EDT on August 10, 2007
Good Morning {{Bugg}}.
159. incogkneetoe
6:39 AM NDT on August 10, 2007
Bug

Good morning, good afternoon or good evening,
Which ever the case may be.
I'm sending a virtual wave and a smile
And your choice of lemon aide coffee or tea.

Gary
158. sandiquiz
7:57 AM GMT on August 10, 2007
Morning Bug - a lovely day here today, so going for a long walk - well long by my standards, but it is uphill all the way .... puff, pant, collapse!! I do hope it is a little cooler for you today, I would melt in that heat as well!!

climb
157. Redhead
11:58 PM CDT on August 09, 2007
Glitter Graphics @ CommentHaven.com
Get Comments @ CommentHaven.com

Praying for a cool day for you, {{{{Bug}}}}!
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
156. Gatorxgrrrl
3:24 AM GMT on August 10, 2007
Have a great Friday!!

lolcats funny cat pictures
155. palmettobug53
1:40 AM GMT on August 10, 2007
That does look lovely, Mophot!
154. palmettobug53
1:37 AM GMT on August 10, 2007
Am crossing toes, too, Chas!

Have been cleaning out personal omail and thought I'd stop by for a few minutes before heading to bed. Am beat, again.....

Well, at least tomorrow is Friday, so maybe not much longer before the temps will drop back to normal summer heat. Not this blast furnace we've been living in all week. Hard to believe I'd think 90 or 91 would be comfortable. Just hope the heat indices come down with the temps.

I'm off to bed! Hope everyone has a great Friday!
153. charlestonlady
12:02 AM GMT on August 10, 2007
one more day bug! Hopefully the trend will break saturday. fingers crossed!
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
152. Mophot
11:38 PM GMT on August 09, 2007
Cool off in the falls, Bug!!
wf
151. SBKaren
11:28 AM PDT on August 09, 2007
Bug - I like your trick! We're even leaving the backdoor open at night, with the screen closed and put our little doggy with the big bite right in front of the door. Not really terribly worried, but she wouldn't let a soul in! Only a sheet on at night too! And that's with upper 60s at night!
150. palmettobug53
4:53 PM GMT on August 09, 2007
Well, it's Thursday... How much more of this can we take? Extreme heat advisories every single day.

Woke up this a.m. to find that we'd had a shower sometime before I woke up. It was still warm and sticky out there but much cooler than it has been. Haven't stuck my nose outside since I got to work at 7:30, so have no idea what the oven is like today.

Karen, I do drink water or iced tea/lemonade or juices pretty much from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. I have my morning hot tea or coffee but by mid-morning, I'm sipping the cold stuff.

We don't have central A/C at home. Our house is a little 2 bedroom, one bath house; square shaped with a central hall where the floor furnace is. We have a window unit in the dining room. Normally, it keeps us very comfy but with this extreme heat, the house has been a little hot in the afternoons and early evening. I've resorted to one of my pre-A/C tricks to help myself get to sleep. A quick shower, lots of talc, light weight cotton nightgown and then a wet washcloth folded up and placed around the neck or across the brow.
With the oscillating floor fan set right at mattress top height, it works pretty good.

Hopefully, in another 36-48 hours, we'll be sitting pretty at a cool 91-92║ and a heat index of only 100║ or so!

It's all relative...
149. Sheraqueenofthebeach
10:17 AM EDT on August 09, 2007
Mood Gorning Gub!
{{{}}}
Member Since: Posts: Comments:
148. SBKaren
7:13 AM PDT on August 09, 2007
Good Morning Bug -

Anyone would wilt in that kind of heat - even if you aren't directly in it! Make sure you stay hydrated - one of the first signs of dehydration is fatigue!!
147. Raysfan70
6:56 AM EDT on August 09, 2007
{{Bugg}}
146. miawolf
10:43 AM BST on August 09, 2007
{{Bug}}
ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more
145. incogkneetoe
7:12 AM NDT on August 09, 2007
Good Morning Bug

May -
All your problems are little ones.
Things go exactly as planned.
You have a great day.
You take care and be safe.

Gary

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5Blog Index

The Daily Bug

About palmettobug53

WU member since Oct. 2005. I enjoy reading, crafts, crosswords, puttering in the yard, old movies and hanging out with my friends on WU.