Childhood Memories

By: palmettobug53 , 8:33 PM GMT on December 04, 2005

Childhood memories of the holidays are some of the best and most cherished memories of all. Do you have a special memory of being in the kitchen with your mother, grandmother or aunts, making cookies during the holiday season? What about a trip to visit a relative you'd never seen before? Did you, your brother or sister do something hilarious one year, that has been laughed about ever since? Did you do something special with your father, grandfather or uncles? Was there something that you saw, or did, during the holidays that you'll never forget? This is not about your children or things that have happened in the recent past. This is about your childhood and what you remember, from when you were little. These are the stories we want to hear about. Have fun, and we're looking forward to hearing from you!
And, as always, have a safe and happy holiday, no matter which one you celebrate!

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

55. extrawarm78
7:32 PM GMT on December 11, 2005
Hi Palm: I have great memmories of My grandmother and I baking pies and cookies during the holiday seasons. wrapping gifts. bringing firewood in the house to stoke the fire.those were the happiest days of my life, I go on missing her daily, shes been gone since 1996, but I learned alot from her.
54. palmettobug53
3:30 PM GMT on December 11, 2005
Hmmmmm....It's Sunday. Time to start thinking about the new blog for the coming week. Guess all this mushy stuff tended to run off most of the guys. This week's blog will be much more "gender friendly". And a lot of fun, I hope. Need to find a good pic for the header...
53. palmettobug53
3:03 PM GMT on December 11, 2005
I don't know....maybe she mistyped "WUBA" which is Weather Underground Bloggers Anonymous....
Funny story, Snow! The 'rents got a bit looped, huh? lol
55 degree weather for Christmas isn't too unusual for us here in SC. Last year it was cold, or cold for us! 20's and 30's....and our furnace went on the fritz, of course!
52. Snowspotter1923
2:35 PM GMT on December 11, 2005
And now for a totally different Christmas Eve memory. I was about 9 or 10 when we had a thaw on Christmas Eve, which for us means the temperature went up to about 55 and we could play outside with only sweatshirts or a light jacket. It was such a rare occasion that we spent the afternoon and evening running through the back yards with other kids and almost forgetting that it was Christmas. In the meantime, my parents were invited next door to the neighbor's house for a Christmas drink. Our neighbor was an old Swede (this area was settled by a large Swedish population). He proceeded to serve my parents Tom and Jerrys, a swedish Christmas drink made with hot water, rum or brandy and this sweet batter mixed in. It tastes great, and knocks you right out if you are not careful. My parents were not big drinkers and they had about two of those drinks and they had trouble finding their way back to our house.

It was a really strange Christmas Eve, us out playing outside in the warm evening air and my parents missing in action due to our neighbor's overly-generous hospitality.

On another note, what does WMBA club mean? I like the Women Make Better Armwrestlers myself.

51. dallastornado1957
4:41 AM GMT on December 11, 2005
HillsBB and oneshot: No one down here steps on those bugs. Texas has a Concealed Weapons statutes and we're pretty sure they're armed.

OK. Here's the setup for the next punchline. What's the WMBA club?

Weather-Masters in Business Administration?
We May Be Adrift?
Women Make Better Armwrestlers?

Gullibly yours,
Dallas
50. seflagamma
3:56 AM GMT on December 11, 2005
We were both born in 1953 A Very Great Year for Women!! (isn't that right bug, I think we had that discussion in our very first email?) Anyway, I am off abit to see if any more of my photos were approved...
check back later...
49. seflagamma
3:55 AM GMT on December 11, 2005
Hey Hills and Dallas, I am blog surfing while working on my blog pics... You got it right.
I learned 26 years ago when I arrived in South Florida that a Palmetto Bug is a very large Cockroach that will have a conversation with you if you like..
But Our Palmettobug53 is a very delightful sweet and talented member of the WMBA club!
48. oneshotww
3:54 AM GMT on December 11, 2005
Hillsbb, don't forget to mention that when you squash them icky gook shoots out! What do you mean slow? They are fast as heck around here! Wanna trade?
47. HillsboroughBay
3:46 AM GMT on December 11, 2005
A VerySlow (look alike for) NY Cockroach (In Florida). But Bug is in Palmetto County In South Carolina!

Hense the name!
46. dallastornado1957
3:39 AM GMT on December 11, 2005
H'lo Bug.

Are you still up?

What exactly is a palmetto bug?

Dallas
45. seflagamma
2:05 AM GMT on December 11, 2005
Hello Bug,
I'm home now. Hope to be on line for a few hours. Rough afternoon/early evening at work since I last blogged!
Now off until Wednesday. Yeah!
I am checking into my blogs for now, will catch you later.
Still forgot to check my own!
43. palmettobug53
7:26 PM GMT on December 10, 2005
How marvelously descriptive, Dallas! Gracias, and feliz navidad to you, too.
Henscolasc, your communion story is so beautiful. And I would have loved to have been around for that "snap, crackle, pop" tree!
These are just great!
42. dallastornado1957
6:41 PM GMT on December 10, 2005
sorry, lost the thread.

We'd sing:

NOCHE DE PAZ, NOCHE DE AMOR
DUERMEN TODOS EN DERREDOR
ENTRE LOS ASTROS QUE ESPARCEN SU LUZ
GRACIAS Y GLORIAS EN GRAN PLENTITUDE
POR NUESTRO BUEN REDENTOR
POR NUESTRO BUEN REDENTOR.

Feliz navidad, y'all!
DallasTornado1957

41. dallastornado1957
6:38 PM GMT on December 10, 2005
From the standpoint of immediately discernable beauty of the landscape, "A Child's Christmas in North Texas" wouldn't hit the best-seller lists, yet... The pale dun color of the grass gleamed against the umber of the bare-limbed which tress shivered in stiff north winds which "came all the way from Alberta." The winter sky was pretty, vividly blue like a bowl overturned. The scant cirrus clouds ran like thin milk down the glazed edges of bowl. At night, Orion rose in a sky full of stars to watched as the patches of houses clumped together on the prairie glowed under strings of fat colored bulbs.

We'd take the bus to downtown on the night the town lights were to be lit. It was the one night of the year that my teen-aged big sister didn't mind being seen with me.

Sometimes we'd get to go up to Dallas just before Christmas. Titches, a department store, had a special arrangement with Santa, who took a break from toy building and route mapping to come to Dallas for a few days. His hung out in a special department with a child-sized toy train, and elves on closed circuit TV. The elves would ask if you'd been a good girl or boy, then would, with a flourish, enter a toy order you could see. At their customer service window, an elf would then hand over a wrapped present for you before you left the department. Of course, Santa himself would listen to your wishes... but because he was pretty busy with things worldwide, he kept hearing "doll" when I said "chemistry set." I did get a BB gun, and an Alamo tin playset with tiny cannon which really fired small, sharp projectiles. What a great toy that was! I played with it for 6 years, and would construct whole cities around it in the backyard. Forty-five years later, I have 1 plastic soldier left and I cherish him.

When I was older, I would go carolling with other teens from school. Our Spanish club sponsored a posada, and we would go door-to-door singing traditional Mexican Christmas carols to selected families. Inside the houses, we'd be met with mugs of hot chocolate with cinnamon, and homemade Christmas tamales. We'd sing

40. palmettobug53
2:36 PM GMT on December 10, 2005
Morning, Gamma!
39. seflagamma
2:32 PM GMT on December 10, 2005
good morning bug!
37. seflagamma
3:13 AM GMT on December 10, 2005
We Believe, We Believe!
Good night. talk to you all tomorrow.
36. palmettobug53
12:30 AM GMT on December 10, 2005
I KNEW he was real! LOL
35. hurigo
10:12 PM GMT on December 09, 2005
I do not remember how young we were, but my sister and I were in our room on Christmas eve. Funny, I don't remember a thing about what the room looked like, but I do remember hearing bells and looking out the window and watching reindeer dancing away. Very real, still makes me smile (and cry) with delight. Every Christmas there are miracles. The bells are especially magical.
34. seflagamma
9:48 PM GMT on December 09, 2005
One Christmas when I was in elementary school our family went to Little Rock for Christmas with my cousins (my Mother's Sister's family). Several of us gather there that Christmas; which was special because most of the time my Mother did not want to go anywhere to spend Christmas Eve night, rather we would get up early on Christmas Day, see what Santa left, the take a long drive to our Christmas Day destination. (Now that I know about all of the gifts you have to hide from 3 kids when you travel on Christmas Eve I understand why we did that!)

It was one of those nice warm Mid-South winter days; we were playing outside all day in just sweaters. After dinner on Christmas Eve, we were outside again, and Lo and Behold, we saw Santa and his Reindeer moving across the night sky.. No joke, real McCoy here. We saw the sleigh and the 8 regular reindeer with Rudolph and his red nose in the lead and Santa driving his team.
At this age, some of us older cousins were starting to have doubts about the whole thing, but upon seeing this, we were true belivers again. We ran into the house to get our parents and aunts and uncles and really older cousins to come outside and see.... Of course, they agreed, it was indeed Santa and he was already on the way. They also used this to their advantage to get us inside and ready for bed sooner than we probably would have normally gone! Because Santa was in our neighborhood and if we were still up when he passed over our house, he would not stop!!
Oh MY, you never saw us young kids get ready for bed so quickly!!!!!

To this day, I don't know if it was a small plane, or bright moving planet, or what, but in our young eyes it was Santa!!
33. seflagamma
9:38 PM GMT on December 09, 2005
Oh....I've got teary eyes...love these stories...
32. HENSCOLASC
9:04 PM GMT on December 09, 2005
One of the most personal memories Of Christmas, was on Christmas Eve. Our Church in Ky did things differently on Christmas Eve. Instead of having a service, the sanctuary was lighted in candlelight and was open for a few hours on Christmas Eve. Families would then take time out of their busy time to come to the church and go into the decorated sanctuary as a family and hold a private devotion at the alter. Then the Father of the family would serve communion to his family. Although this was a very simple devotion, it never ceased to impress me greatly to remember the real meaning of Christmas. The year after my Mother died was extremely hard on us and my Father, but it was one of the best memories of Christmas. A few years ago, my Grandmother passed away right before Christmas, so we were back up in Ky on Christmas Eve. For the first time in many years, I was back at the church doing the same devotion that my Father did, only with my family. I can't tell you what it felt like serving communion to your family like your Father did to you. Merry Christmas to all. I hope you all have many plesant memories. From a Kentucky hillbilly in the palmetto state.
31. HENSCOLASC
8:48 PM GMT on December 09, 2005
Well, I've got an interesting one for you, When I was about 7 or 8, growing up in the mountains of Southeast Kentucky. My Dad was a construction engineer for a company that built things that the Coal Mines needed. Well anyway, one Christmas, he was comming home from West Virginia and brought home a Christmas tree. This tree was unlike any I have seen before (or since). It had little baby pinecones still attached to the tree. Well, we brought it in and decorated the tree. This was before the time of miniature lights, so we had the C7 lights. After a couple of days, we found out that when we plugged in the lights, the tree started popping and crackeling!! At first we thought the lights had a short, because after we unplugged the lights it stopped. Later we found out that the heat from the lights were causing the pinecones to expand. That was the coolest tree we ever had. We called it our "Snap, Crackle, & Pop tree". We have searched, but have never been able to find another one like it.
28. oneshotww
3:08 AM GMT on December 09, 2005
I come from a big family - six kids - and not much money so we were grateful for whatever we received at Christmas.

We used to hang our stockings on the stair banisters as we didn't have a fireplace. Early on Christmas morning the first thing we did was go for the stockings. They were filled with nuts, oranges and candy canes. I thought everyone filled stockings with those items and it wasn't until I was older that I realized how little money my parents had. We always had presents and a big holiday meal so it seemed like a lot to me. I might get one toy - a doll maybe and then the rest of the presents were clothes. Imagine give that to a kid today!!! Times sure have changed!

When I had my own family we still emptied our stockings first and then went for the presents. As Snowspotter does - we always opened them one by one and tried to savor each gift. Wanda
27. Glyn
1:42 AM GMT on December 09, 2005
I was about 7 years old one Christmas Eve, my mum was boiling a ham for the feast the next day. I heard Santas bells ringing, a magical time in my life, he really existed, hard to let go of that memory,
26. seflagamma
12:57 AM GMT on December 09, 2005
Bug, I still have mine, pc at home working now but got to do something for awhile.
Will try to get back on line tonight and tell about the time I saw Santa in his Sled in the sky with all of his reindeer including Rudolph!
Me and my cousins, absolutely made belivers out of us because we were at that age that we were starting to wonder and doubt but that night we knew for sure Santa is Real!!!!
25. StormJunkie
12:27 AM GMT on December 09, 2005
Oh you gotta love Booth. Great artist.

You might find this useful Palmetto.

StormJunkie.com
23. palmettobug53
2:16 AM GMT on December 08, 2005
Come on, folks.....let's get some more childhood holiday memories posted in! Anyone remember getting that special gift on Christmas morn? Am I the only one that actually saw Santa in the living room in the wee hours?
Have to tell you about my Granny's Christmas tree. This was my Dad's family. Granny and PaPa lived on a farm and didn't feel the need to go out and buy a tree, when they had oodles of them there for the picking. So, every year they had a small longleaf pine in the front parlor, looking for all the world like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. LOL My dad's younger brother had a home movie camera, which he broke out at every family gathering, to catch those special moments. The lights completely blinded everyone while we opened gifts. (Kids, this was WAY before video cameras!)
22. palmettobug53
2:01 AM GMT on December 08, 2005
Don't remember going out to the pavilion to see Santa. Guess my parents didn't take me.
Deleted that last post/pic. This one is much better. And no, it isn't THAT warm here at Christmas! This is a summer scene. A Jim Booth painting:

20. Snowspotter1923
4:42 PM GMT on December 07, 2005
Thanks Carolinagal. As a pure northerner snow person all my life, I am trying to picture going out on a pier for a Christmas program - I always just associate Christmas with snow. So thanks for sharing that and giving me a glimpse into how other people live!
19. carolinagal
2:39 PM GMT on December 07, 2005
Snowspotter – I love your stories. The latest one has such a tender message. Thanks!

I said I had more stories ..here is another memory.
My hometown community still has an annual visit from Santa Claus and all the children that come that evening get a stocking of goodies (fruit, toys, candy – It is filled nicely!) I think that now it is at the firestation or civic center. I’m sure there isn’t a program or anything. But when I was a small child, it was held on THE Pavilion. (Bug, you may even be able to find a picture. It has been gone so long, do you think there are any pictures online?) It was a “dance hall” on a pier that sat out over the water. (I think. I was too young to know about dancing. To me it was just this huge green building that we went in at Christmas.)

I have some neat memories of those Christmas programs. A local church or girl scouts or such would do a traditional nativity reenactment. There would be lots of caroling from the crowd and THEN we’d start singing Santa Claus is coming to town (and hear the fire truck sirens approaching.) There was much excitement in the place cause we all knew that Santa was arriving. We would stand in line to see him and get out stocking. I just knew he was the real Santa because there was so much hoopla over his arrival.
18. Snowspotter1923
1:51 PM GMT on December 07, 2005
Another childhood memory:

When I was seven, my parents gave us a little puppy for Christmas about 4 days before Christmas. Come Christmas Eve, we had a lake effect snow storm and all of us kids (4,7,10 and 11) who were off school spent the whole day playing out in the snow. The puppy invariably followed us in and out of the house as we would go back out into the storm. It wasn't until after we came in for the last time in the late afternoon and were sitting around drinking hot chocolate that we realized the puppy wasn't anywhere to be found. We searched and searched all over the house and then my father got home and made us all get dressed back up and go out and search outside. We found her two yards away, her little black body shivering in a snow drift, bite marks from a bigger dog in her hind quarters. We brought her home and my dad treated her bites and we pampered her and felt very guilty.

The next morning at Christmas, we did our usual thing and ripped through all the presents and then ran off to play while my parents slowly opened theirs. My father gave my mother a watch that she opened early on, and after the frenzy of ripped paper and playing, no one could find the watch. My parents decided that from that point onward, we would open our presents slowly, one at a time and appreciate each one before moving on. It took a long time to open presents and deepened our sense of gratitude for people's generosity by a great degree.

To this day, even with a greatly diminished amount of presents, my family still opens them one at a time and appreciates each gift. And we still talk about the Christmas when my mother lost her watch and we almost lost the dog.
14. palmettobug53
5:34 PM GMT on December 06, 2005
LOL, Hills....maybe that's why I liked them so much...early lava lamps!
13. HillsboroughBay
4:30 PM GMT on December 06, 2005
Link to some bubble lamps
12. HillsboroughBay
4:28 PM GMT on December 06, 2005
I Miss the Bubbler lamps too! Precursor to the LavaLamp!

They are much expensive now!!!!
11. NOLAinNC
4:06 PM GMT on December 06, 2005
Carolinagal reminded me of my caroling days. When I was in school, we'd learn all of our Christmas carols in French (I still remember them that way, although I've forgotten the English versions!) I come from an old french speaking community and many of the older folks (when I was a kid) spoke very little English, or spoke French as their first language. So we'd go around to all the nursing homes and sing our carols in French. It was especially fun to go to the retired nuns home and sing to them. I would have a hard time getting through all the words because I would tear up and start to cry every single time!
9. palmettobug53
2:55 AM GMT on December 06, 2005
Something else my Gramma had on her little table top tree, were clear glass icicle ornaments. When I was little, I loved the way the lights reflected on them. Between the bubble lights and the icicles, I was mesmerized.

8. carolinagal
1:24 AM GMT on December 06, 2005
Ok, I said that I’d return… I do love the Christmas carols. I remember going caroling with my girls scout troop. For weeks, we worked on learning the words - and made a booklet, etc. – to learn all the verses. We worked really hard, but anticipated the fun time we’d have. I can actually recall (well, a little) some of those 2nd & 3rd verses now because of this.

And then, I remember going caroling in high school with the French Club. We learned and practiced singing some carols in French. Then we had a party at the teacher’s house (fondue party – anyone!) and went caroling in French through her neighborhood. I wonder if people could understand our songs!

Finally, (not MY childhood memory) I remember fondly when my own daughters were very young and we went caroling with a church group. They could barely talk, but were so enthusiastic with their voices. I’ll remember their very young version of Jingle Bells
7. seflagamma
12:26 AM GMT on December 06, 2005
Bug, haven't forgotten, just need a little more time to get my story (I do have one) together and time to type it out.
gamma
6. palmettobug53
5:54 PM GMT on December 05, 2005
I'm getting the warm fuzzies!
5. Snowspotter1923
1:48 PM GMT on December 05, 2005
After my family moved to western NY when I was seven, we would always spend the holidays with just our family, the other relatives were too far away to come for the day or evening so we were on our own. On Christmas Eve, we would light the fire in the fireplace and sit around the living room looking at the decorated tree and just being together. Then my mother would sit down at the piano and we would all gather around her and sing Christmas carols. As my two older brothers got old enough to play, they would take turns playing the music and we would sing. To this day, the sound of Christmas carols takes me back to our cozy family gatherings around the piano, and I still know the words to just about every carol too.

Thanks for this blog, it is great to read other people's memories and to share my own.

Kate

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

The Daily Bug

About palmettobug53

WU member since Oct. 2005. I enjoy reading, crafts, crosswords, puttering in the yard, old movies and hanging out with my friends on WU.