Gardeners are aware that an effective organic gardening will become feasible if there is a diverse mix of plants and food crops. Moreover, some people believe that combining plant species may have extraordinary skills in helping each species to grow and propagate. Several studies claim that some plant species combination provides synergistic effects in their growth, and it has already been placed to practice by various gardeners today.
How it works?
Companion planting works in various ways. Some of its benefits include the following: companion planting helps each plant species grow, prevent pest problems, use garden space efficiently, and attract beneficial insects.
Examples of Winning Plant Species Combinations
- Cabbage and tomatoes. Tomatoes can help maintain sustainable growth of the cabbages as it serves as a repellant to remove moth larvae.
- Corn and beans. Beans supplement the growth of the corns as it attracts favorable insects that prey on corn pests such as leaf beetles, leafhoppers and fall army worms.
- Cucumbers and nasturtiums. The Vining stems of the nasturtiums can be a great help among growing cucumbers, as they are capable of repelling cucumber beetles and spiders.
- Spinach and radishes. The growth of spinach will be enhanced when there are radishes planted around them. Radishes can lure the leaf miners away from the spinach. What’s quite interesting about this combination is that despite the damage of the radish leaves done by the pests, it doesn’t hamper the healthy growth of the radishes.
- Roses and chives. For gardeners who have been propagating roses, planting garlic near them is essential, as garlic is known to repel rose pests.
- Potatoes and sweet Alyssum. Sweet asylum propagates tiny flowers that serve to attract delicate advantageous insects like predatory wasps. Planting it along potatoes and broccoli ensures pest-free crops. Also, the sweet fragrance of Alyssumm provides a great scent in the garden.
- Collards and catnip. Researches reveal that planting catnip near the collards can help reduce the pestering of collards caused by flea beetles.
- Lettuce and tall flowers. Tall flowers like Nicotiana and Cleome can provide a great shade on the lettuce to have it grow at its best.
Indeed, companion planting can be an essential method in getting a higher yield of plant crops while maintaining the sustainability and biodiversity of the environment. Gardeners can apply some of the plant combinations in their organic gardens.
Comments will take a few seconds to appear.