Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil/Paraguay - Record Flood Levels

By: ofieldstream , 10:47 PM GMT on June 10, 2014

• Greeting WUmems! Long - L O N G - time no write.  I am alive ... and
doing relatively well.  Life has been just rolling along relatively
smooth. I am still dealing with MCS issues, improved, but still very
limiting.

It is immensely hard to believe that HALF of 2014 is NOW over. Un-freaking-REAL!

OK
.. so, have any of you seen the current state of affairs in Brazil and
Argentina with the flooding in the Iguazu River area?  The area of the
world famous Iquazu Falls. Over the last 24-36 hours?  If not, you are
missing the most massive flow over a falls EVER recorded.

Here's a link to background info on the Iguazu Falls - Wikipedia | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls

Here's
a video of a 'normal flow' at Iguazu Falls [ average flow rate of
1,746 m3/s (61,660 cu ft/s) ]  |  http://youtu.be/MtCBSx7TX_M

Here's
a link to a video from a guy in that region of Argentina [ where the
rates - just this month - have exceeded 43,000 m3/s or 1,518,530 ft3/s! ]
| https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1020388163250 1116

I have
not been able to find any background on the weather front that
triggered this massive flooding event.  If anyone knows where that
information is to be found, please send me an email :
lesofieldstream@gmail.com : thank you.

This is amazing.

Here's a link to a side-by-side photo comparison of Iguazu Falls  Flood 2014 vs Normal Flow. WOW!

Side-by-Side

5:04 AM GMT on October 11, 2014
ofieldstream has created a new entry.
4. clearlakemike
10:08 PM GMT on June 11, 2014
Hi Les, glad to hear you are doing relatively well. Yes, that is amazing regarding the falls. I have been interested in that part of the world recently. Mostly Uruguay but have been venturing out on Google maps and Wikipedia away from Montevideo/Punta del Este out towards the borders with Argentina and into Argentina near the inland border away from the La Plata and Buenos Aires. I saw mention of those falls but haven't gone up to that part of the bordering areas yet.

That is an interesting part of the world. I have read comments from Brit ex-pats that have compared it to some regions in Australia. I have heard comparisons of a climate similar to the Carolinas in the US. But instead of mountains closer like the Appalachians it appears to be more rain forest until one gets near the Andes. The Andes of course being much, much higher in elevation than the Appalachians. I wonder if the Andes might be responsible for such a wringing of water from a weather front. Somewhat similar to what happened on the windward side of Hawai'i this past rainy season with two feet of water dropping and flooding areas in a short time. These volcanoes really block the moisture from us on the southwest leeward side.
3. palmettobug53
4:58 PM GMT on June 11, 2014
LES! How ya doing?

Yeah, I saw something about that this morning on TWC. Mindboggling amounts of water.
2. ycd0108
2:42 AM GMT on June 11, 2014
GEOS 13 June 09 shows a moist system diving South East across the catchment for those falls. Had to be some prior soaking to cause that much overflow.
1. ycd0108
1:29 AM GMT on June 11, 2014
Seems to me those Falls were a recommended destination out of Buenos Aires but we went to Ushuaia instead.
I have looked for any system that could deliver that much water but will have to go on looking.
Very impressive!

les O'fieldstream WUblog

About ofieldstream

I am O'fieldstream, some say 'les O'fieldstream'. Either way, I am Outdoors, Photography and Technology, Writing, Travel and Friends. Love WUville.

Scattered Clouds