Rockfish Depot Webcam Down and UP!

By: nobyter , 10:33 PM GMT on August 26, 2012

The webcam is down... Didn't have time today to check the power fully. It is a connection to the solar panel that is loose. I will have to take off the cover of the breaker box because I think the break is in there (I hope). I guess you will know when the power is back on (webcam will work). All in all, the solar power has done a tremendous job over the years in powering the webcam. I guess I need to go and do some preventive maintenance more often.

10:11 PM GMT on October 27, 2012
nobyter has created a new entry.
2. nobyter
5:28 PM GMT on September 06, 2012
I was right... The batteries didn't have enough solar charge to run the whole night. Now the battery level is above 12 volts and charging at 4 watts even with cloud cover. That was the one thing that surprized me about solar. Even on cloudy days you get some charging and only at night or during a really dark cloud does it not.

The webcam is up and sending snapshots to wunderground. Should appear on their site in a little while.
1. nobyter
10:41 PM GMT on September 05, 2012
The webcam is up temporarily... The solar batteries probably don't have enough charge to make it through tonight. I will have to wait till we get some sun / solar radiation tomorrow to reset the inverter as it has an auto shut off in case the batteries go low. I need to add a LED lighting system to draw a little more current during the summer. The problem is that that after the batteries become fully charged repeatedly (summer), the positive line from the solar cells heats up a little and somehow loosens the wire from the 12v breaker to the solar controller.

Rockfish Depot, VA BLOG!

About nobyter

Single male, God, Dog, & Woman Lover, Garlic Farmer, River Kayaker, Gun Toter, Survivaler, Energy Saver, Weather Watcher, and Brother of Eight.

Overcast