MCILROY AND MAGGOTS

By: joealaska , 5:47 PM GMT on August 12, 2014

I spent most of the weekend watching The PGA tournament from Louisville. Rory Mcilroy (not ROY MCAVOY, who was in Tin Cup) proved he is the best in golf, winning 3 in a row including 2 majors. Still, Tiger got a lot of headlines. I cannot believe he is still a probable player in The Ryder Cup. OK, enough golf chat.

Almost. Yesterday I played The Mine Nine, AKA Pend Oreille Golf Course, for a second time. The first time I did not know how to handle the sand greens. Then it occurred to me I do not know how to handle the grassy ones either. So I relaxed and did better. Yes, they are slower than grass, but not that much. It was very hot yesterday, and nine holes was enough for me. Earlier in the day I drove 10 miles south to IONE and tried to play SERENDIPITY GOLF COURSE. I thought it would be wide open, after going by Saturday and seeing NOBODY playing. WRONG. Maybe 4 groups on the 9 hole layout, with a FIVESOME just going out. So I went back to Metaline Falls and hit the short 9. It costs two dollars. You put the cash in an envelope and put it in the slot. Honor system.

I think this is probably the best campground I have been to on this trip. The owners are very good, Tory and Bruce. While there are a few signs posted here and there, there are not the full page of fine print I have seen elsewhere. More laid back here. On Saturday, Bruce asked me if I wanted to take a ride on his weekly dump run. There is no garbage pick up here, so Bruce has a small trailer parked where we throw our bagged trash in for disposal. He drives down to Ione where there is a station he can get rid of the trash. I went with him, prepared to lend a hand unloading. But he did not need it, pulling out a big rake which he used to drag the junk out. I just sat back and watched, then we went by the local car wash where he power washed the whole trailer until it was maggotless.

I have taken both routes north that take you to the Canadian Border. The second route goes to Boundary Dam on The Pend Oreille River. South of Metaline is Box Canyon Dam, which I posted a photo recently. The river moves very slowly, and is pretty shallow. Perfect for lazy float trips.

Last night it actually rained. Later today, and on through the next few days, there is a good chance of thunderstorms coming through. Fire danger is HIGH now, with the lightning expected to start more fires. Washington has been burning for a while now. There is a big fire just south of Lewiston, Idaho along the Snake River. Then another fire north of Keller where I drove through a week ago continues to burn. There was smoke here a couple days.

Monday I head on out again, tentative plans are to find somewhere in Montana between Missoula and Kalispell. Needing to get back to wide open vistas.

Nanu Nanu.

12:52 AM GMT on August 15, 2014
joealaska has created a new entry.
8. joealaska
5:34 PM GMT on August 14, 2014
Would like to upload some more photos, but there are some changes made to that process and it still does not work. Will try again later.
7. dotmom
7:54 AM GMT on August 13, 2014
All I can say Dave is the description of the golf course in Monahans with the rattlesnake/jack rabbit rough would make you want to "hit 'em straight!"

Of course the weather here in Louisville has been beautiful the last couple of days - compared to Sunday's PGA final. Mother Nature - she is unpredictable and will have her way.
6. DHaupt
5:51 AM GMT on August 13, 2014
Naneau, Naneaux!
Yes, very sad about Robin Williams. Of course, living here in the Bay Area, it is almost all the news consists of today. Gaza? Gaza? Where's that? Anybody heard of it? I had a hard time recalling that Mork and Mindy was as recent as the late 70s. I remember some very funny episodes, but none too clearly anymore. As far as his movies went, I didn't see that many of them, but thought his more serious efforts were his best, especially Good Will Hunting.

We are having a pleasantly unusual Summer. It has only gotten to 83F today; gentle westerly breezes round the clock, so the house is pleasant; no rain even though if this were Kansas, the bands of clouds would have us chucking the centipedes out of the storm cellar.

Those sand greens bring back a few memories from my dad's golf days in West Texas. I suspect that how well they work depends a lot of the sand they are made with. It must have to be just the right degree of compaction otherwise chip shots onto the "green" would render it a lunar landscape. That old golf course in Monahans had grass greens, sand fairways and rattle snake/jackrabbit habitat for the rough.

5. dotmom
2:31 AM GMT on August 13, 2014
You know if you are not careful, you can learn something new every day!!! Who new - nanu!
4. Rotty3
12:40 AM GMT on August 13, 2014
Dotmom: Nanu = German exclamative expression of surprise. :) I'm sure Mork would have spelled it Ylee's way ;)
3. dotmom
11:46 PM GMT on August 12, 2014
Sorry. I remember the name of the show - Mork and Mindy but I think I was too busy minding kids to watch it. Robin Williams was a truly gifted person - such a talent. We will miss his fun. God bless him.
2. Ylee
11:15 PM GMT on August 12, 2014
I always thought it was spelled Nanoo, nanoo, but that was Mork's (Robin William's character in Mork and Mindy) greeting. (Informally, it was just nanoo)

What did you all think about the PGA's handling of the ending at Valhalla? Was it really that dark there? Orange balls, anyone?

From my Southeastern viewpoint, western Washington looks pretty wide open! :' )
1. dotmom
7:48 PM GMT on August 12, 2014
I give. Nanu Nanu?

THE LOST ALASKAN

About joealaska

I have just taken a new job in Great Falls, Montana. A new state and new areas to explore.