PHILIPSBURG, MONTANA FOR THE 4th OF JULY

By: joealaska , 7:15 PM GMT on July 02, 2014

Today I headed out of FAIRMONT RV PARK and went through Anaconda one more time. Just an hour west then north, I now sit in downtown Philipsburg, Montana. It is a small old west town where I have booked a week camping at Philipsburg Inn and RV Park. I am sure the town is typical tourist trap, but it has a lot of history and stuff to see nearby. Mining was the big thing. It started as gold, but then they started finding gems. Sapphires, rubies, and more.

There are many small ghost towns nearby, as well as old mine sites.

Last year I spent the 4th of July in Jamestown, ND. This year should be very interesting. There will be plenty of time to soak up the local color and enjoy the holiday.

I am now in the SLOW DOWN phase of the journey. Less driving, more camping.

I played 3 days of golf in a row in Anaconda, as there will be no courses near Philipsburg. The closest would probably still be Anaconda. Of course, I could always come back to Anaconda. That would probably not happen, given the forest roads and mines right in my back yard to explore.

Yesterday I took a ride up into the mountains near my camp. German Gulch was an old gold mine circa 1864. I took the road up to it, but it was closed before I was able to see anything. Although the scenery was pretty good!

It is pretty warm now. Looks like I will need to turn on the AC again. It has been a while since I used it. Here it is July, and I still have used the heat almost every night of the trip.

So I have just arrived. The RV is hooked up, now I have to unstrap the Toyota and take a little ride to see what is here and make a game plan.

I have a bunch of photos, will post later. The 4th of July will mark my one month of being on the road.

12:31 AM GMT on July 06, 2014
joealaska has created a new entry.
11. dotmom
10:53 AM GMT on July 05, 2014
I am following Miranda on FaceBook and she truly is an amazing little girl. Such a sweet little thing. May God be with her as she travels this next part of her journey.
10. DHaupt
7:13 AM GMT on July 05, 2014
Back in my Kennecott Exploration days, one of my field crew members, Jim Lorenz came from P'burg. Jim would be in his sixties now. He always spoke somewhat kindly of his home town. I think he missed it. We were working a job out of Wilcox, AZ where Jim fell madly in love with one of the towns prettiest maidens, Nellie Sanchez. They eventually got married, but not until Jim had whooped all of her brothers and most of her cousins. Wilcox got almost too hot for us during that time. On weekends, we all cleared out of town for safety reasons, except of course for Jim.

Miranda has finished up Round 8 of chemo and starts radiation treatments Monday -- daily for two months with more chemo during that. She's holding up amazingly. Miranda Star
9. dotmom
12:31 AM GMT on July 05, 2014
I read that book Joe and it was so good. Zamperini is a true hero.
8. Barefootontherocks
6:10 PM GMT on July 04, 2014
Thanks for the photos and enjoyable stories. have a fun 4th in Montana!

glitter-graphics.com
7. Ylee
4:46 PM GMT on July 04, 2014
I remember reading about Louis; a true hero, if there ever was one.

Happy 4th, everyone!
6. joealaska
4:42 PM GMT on July 04, 2014
Yesterday a true American Hero LOUIS ZAMPERINI passed away. 97 years old. He was a star runner at USC during college. Ran in the same Olympics as Jesse Owen (roomed with him). He got in a little trouble for stealing a German flag... In WW2 he was a pilot who had a bad crash at sea, which he survived, only to face 47 days at sea on a raft with no food or water. He was finally rescued, by the Japanese, who put him in a prison camp. He was tortured and subjected to unspeakable conditions. Yet he survived.

His life story is told in the best seller UNBROKEN, with a movie of the same name being released this coming Christmas.

RIP Louie. Worth remembering on this July 4th.
5. dotmom
2:52 AM GMT on July 03, 2014
Fireworks going off all around us - I guess it is a rehearsal night! They are quite pretty. Have a safe 4th whatever you do.
4. cybersuze
2:25 AM GMT on July 03, 2014
I'm with Osdianna, glad to know you're staying put through the holiday what with all the folks on the roads and stuff! Slow down and enjoy! Looks like a nice place. Happy 4th!
3. dotmom
12:54 AM GMT on July 03, 2014
Or hey Miyuki - a real life-sized gem!!! :)
2. miyuki
9:51 PM GMT on July 02, 2014
Thanks for the update. Was beginning to worry about you with this crazy weather and you 'camping'.
I hope you find a gem while you're exploring, a life changing sized gem! Happy hunting !
1. osdianna
9:00 PM GMT on July 02, 2014
I wondered where you would be spending the holiday's, given the summer RV camping traffic...would anything be left?

THE LOST ALASKAN

About joealaska

I have just taken a new job in Great Falls, Montana. A new state and new areas to explore.

joealaska's Recent Photos

#8734.  RANCHING 101, or RANCHING 911?
AFTER NINE YEARS, #8733.