Lemons, Lemons, Lemons

By: dragonflyF15 , 4:13 PM GMT on May 13, 2008

Nothing like freshly squeezed lemonade, or adding a dash of lemon when grilling fish, or fresh juice over a salad to lighten things up for those hot summer days. One of my favorites is Lemon Fettuccine with Smoked Salmon that takes only 20 minutes to prepare. Serves 4, but it's so tasty that I say after a second generous serving, it only serves 2 with a small bit for leftovers. Great recipe I tried on the back of a package that became a fave and involves a few of those fresh herbs from the garden too!

Lemon Fettuccine with Smoked Salmon
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and julienne cut
Zest and juice from 2 small lemons
1/3 cup cold butter/Smart Balance, cut into pieces
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 (3oz) pouch Chicken of the the Sea Premium Smoked Pacific Salmon, flaked into bite sized pieces
1/2 lbs fettuccine, cooked according to directions on package
1/4 cub toasted pine nuts
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Chopped fresh basil

In large skillet, in hot oil, saute garlic. Add tomatoes and lemon juice; saute 1 minute longer. Add cold butter, lemon zest, parsley and oregano. Stir until butter has melted and mixture has thickened slightly; remove from heat. Gently fold in the salmon bits. Pour salmon lemon mixture over fettuccine; gently toss until coated. Sprinkle with pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

13. Appalachiangypsy
3:40 PM GMT on May 14, 2008
I'll have to try it :)
12. meltemi
3:35 PM GMT on May 14, 2008
Gyp.. it's easier than pie;) 2c flour, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt. I usually do mine the day before to let them dry out (you can lay them over something to dry, I lay mine over skewers perched across a big bowl, so the noodles hang down into the basin), but you can cook them wet with no problem.

Froth your eggs, add them to the flour/salt, knead it all together until the dough is shiny. I let mine sit in plastic wrap for about 30 minutes, not sure what this does but it was passed on to me.

Then get out your rolling pin and go to town! They can be as thick as you want, I like mine pretty thin, so I work with 1/2 the dough at a time, keeping the rest in plastic so it doesn't get hard. Roll till it's all even and cut it into strips- again, as thin or as wide as you want them. Thicker, shorter, doughier strips are great for chicken noodle soup. The noodles I made for last night were super long and flat, and less than a dime's width wide.

To cook, just throw as many as you need into a pan of water and when they all float, they're done. I add a little bit of olive oil to the water, seems to keep them from sticking to each other.

Super easy to keep the ones you don't cook, just throw 'em in tupperware like regular noodles.
11. Appalachiangypsy
3:09 PM GMT on May 14, 2008
I think I might try this tonight... with the melt modifications... except for the homemade noodles 'cause I'm lazy ...and I don't know how to make them
10. Patrap
3:07 PM GMT on May 14, 2008

9. meltemi
2:57 PM GMT on May 14, 2008
shore... definitely a good one for slipping fish past people. I made this last night for a friend (with the modifications I listed below- no toms or pine nuts) and was asked, "Is this chicken?"

Turned out FABULOUS, by the way, it was SO good! I used homemade noodles instead of fettucini though, but either, way, YUM! Leftovers didn't happen!
8. shoreacres
12:04 PM GMT on May 14, 2008
Wonderful recipe! I might be able to get this one past my mom, who takes any sort of fish as a personal affront, but can be persuaded to do salmon from time to time.

Your recipe makes me think of another smoked salmon recipe I have - in a red sauce for use with pasta. I haven't made it in at least two years - if I can find the recipe I'll pass it on as well.

I'm off to try and get some work in myself before our thunderstorms arrive. Enjoy the day!
7. collinsfarm
11:53 AM GMT on May 14, 2008
We just recently planted two Meyers lemon trees. They have a multitude of little lemon buds coming on. Looking forward to harvesting them for our own lemonade and to try out your recipe.
6. sandiquiz
9:47 AM GMT on May 14, 2008
Good morning.......... You are probably sleeping soundly after all your exertion yesterday!!

I have copied out your recipe, and am going to try it at the weekend... I have some smoked salmon in the freezer, and wondered what to do with it:))So Thank you:)
5. GardenGrrl
9:15 AM GMT on May 14, 2008
So when life gives you lemons, make a lemon salmon fettuccine, after all fish is brain food and then you can think up even more uses for those lemons. Have a great day D and don't work too hard.
4. dragonflyF15
3:42 AM GMT on May 14, 2008
I didn't think I would like it with the smoked salmon. I love salmon, but don't usually dig the smoked stuff, but honestly somehow the combo of flavors make everything come out just right!

I'm exhausted. Been mulching and planting
since 6:30 am and dropped off my last flat to be planted tomorrow about an hour ago (9:30pm) Hot showers are on my good list for today. Along with making a quick steak on the grill.

More thunderboomers on the way!

Saw this cool pick in the news this evening:

Photobucket

Lightning bolts appear above and around the Chaiten volcano as seen from Chana, some 30 kms (19 miles) north of the volcano, as it began its first eruption in thousands of years, in southern Chile May 2, 2008. Cases of electrical storms breaking out directly above erupting volcanos are well documented, although scientists differ on what causes them.

G'night

3. meltemi
4:47 PM GMT on May 13, 2008
df... this is absolutely perfect. I'm going to make a slightly altered version of this tonight (can't do pine nuts, and not a fan of sun-dried toms) but I was looking for a fettucini recipe that called for "brain food" (salmon) and lemons to make. What a brilliant coincidence. God bless you, miss fly!
2. zetcat
4:29 PM GMT on May 13, 2008
sounds yummy! I will try it this week. Give me more delicious ideas.
1. palmettobug53
4:16 PM GMT on May 13, 2008
Well, yum...

I don't eat fish but I'll bet those little precooked chicken breast strips would substitute just fine.

dragonflyF15's WunderBlog

About dragonflyF15

40yrOld Horticulturist,which means I'm a plant/tree/shrub Geek.My work revolves around Mother N and weather.I love working,playing,resting outdoors!