December Do's and Quotes

By: dragonflyF15 , 5:20 PM GMT on December 01, 2011

Zone 4-6, this is your list!

Houseplants:

-Water houseplants with tepid water. Cold tap water may shock plants
-Be sure newly purchased indoor plants are well protected for the trip home. Exposure to icy temperatures for even a few moments may cause injury.
-Overwintering geraniums like bright light and cool temperatures. Keep soils on the dry side.
-On cold nights, move houseplants back from icy windows to prevent chilling injury.
-Holiday Poinsettia basics: - sun for at least half the day. - keep away from drafts, registers and radiators. - night temperatures in 50's or low 60's, days at 70 degrees. - the soil should dry only slightly between thorough waterings. Discard the drainage. - be sure to punch holes in decorative foil wraps to prevent soggy soil conditions.

Ornamentals:

-Hairspray works well to keep seed heads and dried flowers intact on wreaths and arrangements.
-Living Christmas tree basics: - dig the planting hole before the ground freezes. - mulch and cover the backfill soil and the planting hole to keep them dry and unfrozen. - don't allow the tree's roots to become dry. - spray with an anti-transpirant to reduce needle moisture loss. - store the tree outdoors in a cool, shady, windless area until the last minute. Mulch the roots to prevent cold injury. - set the tree up in your coolest room. - don't keep the tree indoors for more than one week. Plant outdoors promptly.
-Be sure the root zones of azaleas and rhododendrons are thoroughly mulched. Any organic material will do, but mulches made from oak leaves, shredded oak bark, or pine needles are preferred.
-Christmas trees hold needles longer if you make a clean, fresh cut at the base and always keep the trunk standing in water.
-Only female holly trees bear the colorful berries. There must be a male tree growing nearby for pollination, if fruits are desired.
-Hollies may be trimmed now and the prunings used in holiday decorations.

Miscellaneous:
-If you feed rabbits corn or alfalfa, they may leave fruit tree bark unharmed.
-Apply mulches to bulbs, perennials and other small plants once the ground freezes.
-All power equipment should be winterized before storage. Change the oil and lubricate moving parts. Either drain fuel systems or mix a gas stabilizing additive into the tank.
-Clean and oil all garden hand tools before storing for winter.
Photobucket

38. bionicdan
8:07 PM GMT on December 25, 2011
Joyfull Joyfull, Orpheus from a photo taken during 2010 -- but it is one of my favorites!
37. ycd0108
10:40 PM GMT on December 24, 2011
That was a surprise!
I was scrolling down to make my first comment and there was my picture and comment from way back. I often get carried away here and then forget exactly where I have been and what I have said. That is part of the fun for me. Someday I'll tell you my joke about Horticulture - you have probably heard it before anyway. For now: Have a Merry Christmas!
36. dragonflyF15
10:22 PM GMT on December 24, 2011
I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. ~Charles Dickens
35. Zachary Labe
5:05 PM GMT on December 24, 2011
dragonflyF15- Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
34. dragonflyF15
4:31 PM GMT on December 24, 2011
Thanks guys! Yes Go Cards! 12 in '12! Tomorrow they are going to air game 6 and 7...go crazy folks!

Merry Chanukah and Happy Christmas to everyone! Will try to get around to the blogs later...heading to the grocery store (did I really wait until the day before?)

Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. ~Norman Vincent Peale

33. juslivn
2:59 PM GMT on December 24, 2011
Photobucket">
32. Ylee
11:01 AM GMT on December 23, 2011
Hi, DF! Peace to you, and a very merry Christmas!

Oh, and go Cards! #12 in 2012! :)
31. GardenGrrl
6:48 AM GMT on December 23, 2011
30. sandiquiz
6:46 AM GMT on December 23, 2011
Hi Dragon,

Hope you have a wonderful time:)
29. GardenGrrl
6:34 PM GMT on December 22, 2011
Wooo-hooo a birthday!
(which I am late for)

Happy Birthday!!!
Hope you get everything you want.
28. seflagamma
2:25 PM GMT on December 22, 2011
Hello DF, The BIG 40!!!
I hope you had a big celebration!

From our Home to Yours
Merry Christmas and a Healthy & Happy New Year 2012!

"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons.
It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.
And he puzzled and puzzled, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn%u2019t before.
What if Christmas, he thought, doesn%u2019t come from a store.
What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

- Dr. Seuss

27. dragonflyF15
9:22 PM GMT on December 21, 2011
It is indeed the big 40 and I'm looking forward to my 40's actually, I think they are going to rock :)

26. airman45
8:17 PM GMT on December 21, 2011
Happy belated Birthday!

Sorry, I didn't realize it was upon us. Is this the big 4-0?

(Come on, you can say so.)

25. dragonflyF15
6:36 PM GMT on December 21, 2011
Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

Hey check this out Snowy Owls I may have a chance to see these guys next week if I go out to Kansas, too cool!

24. seflagamma
5:34 PM GMT on December 21, 2011
{{{{Dragonfly}}}}}
I had on my calendar that yesterday was your birthday.. the only problem was..
I never open my calendar to take a look yesterday.

So please accept my happy Belated Birthday Greetings!!!

Hope it was a good day for you.

img src="Birthday-Graphics
Birthday Graphics
",>

img src="Birthday-Graphics
Birthday Graphics
",>

23. dragonflyF15
3:53 PM GMT on December 21, 2011
Our prayers should be for blessings in general, for God knows best what is good for us. ~Socrates
22. dragonflyF15
3:53 PM GMT on December 21, 2011
No snow for my birthday yesterday, just alot of fog! If I took my glasses off and squinted into the night, it kinda looked like snow all around :) Had a wonderful birthday regardless!

Still above normal temps, and highly starting to doubt a white Christmas either...we can always hope :)

Thanks for the holiday wishes...man you guys are making the rounds early! :)
21. dragonflyF15
4:44 AM GMT on December 21, 2011
Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. ~Laura Ingalls Wilder
20. Alleyoops
7:38 PM GMT on December 19, 2011

Merry Christmas dear one.
19. Proserpina
8:26 PM GMT on December 18, 2011
Photobucket
18. GardenGrrl
5:54 PM GMT on December 18, 2011
Hi, my plant water is like a chemistry experiment. The well water is very alkaline so I mix 2/3 to 1/3 of bottled water. Then add pinch of citric acid and a couple drops of Super Thrive.
Seems to work.

My bird sends his greetings too;

17. dragonflyF15
8:40 PM GMT on December 17, 2011
He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree. ~Roy L. Smith
16. dragonflyF15
8:40 PM GMT on December 17, 2011
Thanks Gams, I hope they get better as well. I think if everyone I know, including myself could have good health for 2012, that will be enough of a Christmas gift in itself!

Sandi: I'll have to pop on over and see what you've done with the blog :) Next week will be cookie baking for me!

So today, I'm making chili, which almost seems out of place as my Christmas scarf I've been wearing out shopping. It's almost 50 today, with mid 50's expected tomorrow. I like my different seasons, so I'm missing my winter with warm fires, hot cocoas, spicy chili, snuggly blankets...yet, I know soon enough, when Mother Nature is ready, she will blow cold winds our way eventually.

15. sandiquiz
10:50 AM GMT on December 17, 2011
Hello, Dragon,
Thank you so much for dropping in to my blog to check I had arrived home.

I have managed to sort and edit a small percentage of the photos I took, and made a new blog this morning.... but now the kitchen and some baking awaits me:)
14. seflagamma
10:45 PM GMT on December 16, 2011
hello DF, Wow you got in a lot of work last weekend, it took me 3 long weekends to do what you got done in one!

It is hard when you are helping to take care of Parents that are not doing well; so hope yours get better soon.

I also love the quotes!
13. dragonflyF15
10:39 PM GMT on December 16, 2011
Shore: I usually water my plants with room temperature water cause I usually have to let it sit out a day usually allows for some of the chemicals from the tap water to dissipate. Funny, you name your plants also :)

50's at night is above average, we were about 7 degrees from yesterday's high record at 61 degrees. Today is a bit above average, but closer to normal. We should be 42/26 around now. Next week we have a few chances at snow, mainly at night, but will melt the next day kind of thing. My birthday is next week, and I kinda like it to snow on it, as well as a white Christmas :)
12. dragonflyF15
10:32 PM GMT on December 16, 2011
Life is not a search for happiness. Happiness is a by-product of living the right kind of a life, of doing the right thing.
11. shoreacres
11:49 PM GMT on December 15, 2011
dragonfly ~ Thanks for stopping by my last blog. With Santa Lucia gone, I thought a new entry would be good.

I've enjoyed your quotations - they're like little thought-pebbles to stick in a pocket and turn over through the day.

I appreciated your December notes, too - a good reminder to move the Africa violets away from the windows a bit. I've had to begin changing Dixie Rose's water 2 or 3 times a day in cold weather, too. The floors get so cold, the water does, too - and she really doesn't like it!

What a treat for you to have the 50s - but isn't that a little strange? I'd think you would have snow by this time. Perhaps not. In any event, I'm not surprised at your warmth. It still feels like summer here, despite a couple of cold blasts. It was shorts and a tee shirt for work today - I'd take colder to get rid of the fog and allow longer working days!
10. dragonflyF15
6:51 PM GMT on December 15, 2011
Great symphonies begin with just one note.
—Priscilla Young Pratt

Last evening we took a walk through the neighborhood to look at holiday lights and decorations. While it sprinkled off and on, it was a balmy 50 degrees and next thing you know, we had gotten in 5 miles of walking! Next week will try to get to the neighborhood across the street and perhaps this time we will have snow!

9. dragonflyF15
5:29 PM GMT on December 13, 2011
One kind word can warm three winter months. ~Japanese Proverb
8. dragonflyF15
5:27 PM GMT on December 13, 2011
Gams: No relaxing last weekend! Usually I start shopping for gifts after Halloween and decorate the place Thanksgiving weekend, but with two parents ill, it's been alot of spending the nights caring for one or the other or visiting the hospital with one or the other. Crossing fingers that they will get better, although Dad has a few more chemo treatments to get through. I am just blessed to have them around :)

So I spent last weekend cramming it all in with shopping, hanging up lights, decorating and cards. When I got done Sunday evening, my head was buzzing and my feet needed soaking! Thanks for the Christmas card, yours is in the mail :)

Sandiquiz: I collect quotes, put them all down in a journal. Especially in winter when I have some more down time, I like to get it out and randomly read through them :) Hope you are enjoying the holiday season on the other side of the pond :)

So we still haven't gotten any snow yet...if it's going to be cold and gray, it might as well have pretty snow to look at! It's cold and rainy today, however tomorrow is supposed to have a crazy warm front come through and be in the mid 60's! By Friday we will be back to normal 40/28. Our local forecaster is saying maybe the first snow next Tuesday the 20th...that would be nice cause that would be my birthday :)

7. sandiquiz
10:57 AM GMT on December 12, 2011
hi Dragon - wishing you a great week....
Love your little winter quotes, especially the Lewis C one:)
6. seflagamma
10:43 PM GMT on December 10, 2011
Hello DF,

Hope you are relaxing this weekend and enjoying December!

Happy Saturday!
5. dragonflyF15
7:40 PM GMT on December 05, 2011
Ycd: True. However I do enjoy animation and metaphors, so I can visualize a soft kiss :) Thanks for stopping in!

Gams: I know! Crazy isn't it? You guys also get to grow things we can't up here in the north. But at least we have baseball ;)

GardenGrrl: That sounds really neat! I've always wanted to make a living wall, not just to bring nature inside, but to filter out the air! Yay for your tree blooming! They are really cool shaped trees :)

Weather here is turning cold and we have our first chance at a little dusting of snow. Seems most is going to the south of us, so kids wanting a snow day will just have to wait :)

Quote for today:
There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you.... In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open season on each other; only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself. ~Ruth Stout
4. GardenGrrl
3:02 AM GMT on December 05, 2011
Hi Dragonfly,
Happy December!

My garden kind of took a hit with the drought so I made an indoor garden called "The Great Wall of Plants".

It uses T5 grow lights which are awesome. They are too bright for aloe vera (turns it brown), but my semi-tropical bonsais are really happy with those lights.

The Fukien Tea trees are actually flowering and making berries. Hooray!
3. seflagamma
8:56 PM GMT on December 03, 2011
Hello DF,

Good to see you here with a new blog full of helpful tips for gardening up north...
and good to see some of your posts out on some of the blogs!

So funny, your gardening season has pretty much ended and ours is getting started!

Take care this weekend.

2. ycd0108
6:52 PM GMT on December 03, 2011
Interesting question Carroll poses.
From my "rational" bit of mind still left (or is it "Right"?) I react: snow is just crystalized water so I doubt it has feelings. Somewhere way back I remember an author, maybe Uspenskii, mentioning "mineral consciousness".
"How to gently touch the lives and growing things around us. Times of anger and rain are necessary, but a soft snowfall brings peace to all humanity."
Amen
1. dragonflyF15
6:09 PM GMT on December 03, 2011
I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields that it kisses them so gently.
—Lewis Carroll

Like the snowflakes, each of us has a unique design. Perhaps what we can learn from the snowflakes is how to gently touch the lives and growing things around us. Times of anger and rain are necessary, but a soft snowfall brings peace to all humanity.

dragonflyF15's WunderBlog

About dragonflyF15

40yrOld Horticulturist,which means I'm a plant/tree/shrub Geek.My work revolves around Mother N and weather.I love working,playing,resting outdoors!