I provide a weather email service for people in MD. I am a storm chaser & Skywarn spotter. For daily weather tidbits follow me on Twitter: @wxmanMD.
By: cws6196 , 6:39 PM GMT on November 24, 2012
There is a bit more model consistency in reference to the storm this Tues / Wed but nothing definite just yet. More and more I see a low forming off the coast but the question is the precip type. Some of the models are showing snow but I'm not as yet convinced. The local NWS hasn't yet commented on this but to say there will be precip come Tues. Their official forecast calls for rain, but I do see the potential for snow mixed in. As I mentioned yesterday, my best guess at this point is rain on Tues mixed with snow overnight when the temps drop. How much? Too early to say, but the "potential" is 2-4 inches (this is NOT my forecast, just stating a potential scenario at the moment).
I do have concerns though:
1. The temps after this weekend will go back up, meaning the column of air will need to sufficiently cool for snow to fall to the ground. It is possible, though, especially when the sun goes down.
2. The bay temps are still in the 50s and the ground temps not yet that cold.
3. If the snow follows the rain the first layers will melt, reducing the overall accumulation.
I should know a bit more late Sunday into Monday. For now just know there is a potential for a couple inches of snow Tues into Wed even though the local forecasters aren't yet talking about it. I'm not yet saying it will happen, but be aware of the potential.
If you are on Google+ search for my page "Weather Man Maryland". Follow me on Twitter (@wxmanmd) for daily weather info. My Weather Phone will be updated as necessary: 443-470-9804
The views of the author are his/her own and do not necessarily represent the position of The Weather Company or its parent, IBM.