Day by Day in NW Montana - September 2010

By: bionicdan , 10:33 PM GMT on September 02, 2010

Thursday, September 30, 2010
Clear, warm, dry, light wind: Fall has become what summer was supposed to be! A perfect early Fall day in NW Montana was the result.

Afternoon Panorama as the Box Elder begins to Change Color
Afternoon Panorama as the Box Elder begins to Change Color

Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Mostly clear, warm, and dry today. Another great day for a rails to trails ride to the bales. And, further proof that the buck stops here!

Rails to Trails to Bales Ride
Rails to Trails to Bales Ride

The Buck Stops Here!
The Buck Stops Here!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Mostly sunny after clear overnight conditions. There was some fog in the valley this morning but not here at the ranch. The afternoon was sunny, windy, dry, and warm. Cloud formations in the evening formed as a result of the strong wind over the area this afternoon.

Changing Day (slide show)

Monday, September 27, 2010
Partly cloudy overnight and at sunrise. Periods of sun and then more clouds; so I will call it a variably cloudy/sunny morning. The afternoon became mostly sunny and quite warm. Another good Fall day in NW Montana.

Trees Along the Biking Trail
Trees Along the Biking Trail

Sunday, September 26, 2010
Partly cloudy conditions early today became mostly cloudy for most of the rest of the morning. Some periods of sun did take place during the afternoon, but not full-time like yesterday. The wind increased somewhat during the afternoon but it wasn't enough to blow the clouds away.

Harmony Stops by to Smell the Flowers ... And Eat One
Harmony Stops by to Smell the Flowers ... And Eat One

Saturday, September 25, 2010
Delightful ... beginning to end!

Delightful Day in a Sometimes Upside-Down World (Mullein: Verbascum Thapsus)
Mullein in pond reflection ... inverted

Friday, September 24, 2010
So, the forecast a couple of days ago was like: "Get Ready for Some Great Weather, NW Montana" ... then, it rained for most of the next day ... continuing, it rained a little bit overnight; and then again a little bit from time to time today. Finally, late in the day, the Red Sky at Night leads to my "update" to the forecast --> (Perhaps*) Delightful Weather -- starting tomorrow. (* Being a rancher, and not a sailor, I had to add a disclaimer)

Red Sky at Night
Red Sky at Night

Thursday, September 23, 2010
Mostly clear overnight again resulted in some frost and fog along the pastures this morning. A morning drive down into the valley was in thick fog for part of the way. Mostly cloudy conditions crept up the hill to the ranch by the time we returned. Those mostly cloudy conditions hung around for the rest of the day giving just some short shots of sunshine.

Morning Fog and Frosty Air
Morning Fog and Frosty Air

Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Mostly clear overnight and after the passing of some early day clouds, it was mostly sunny throughout the day. With the clear overnight conditions, frost covered the deck and the pastures for a short time this morning. The return of the sun after a few days with mostly cloudy and rainy conditions allowed the muddy paddocks to dry out a bit.

Sunny Afternoon Panorama
Sunny Afternoon Panorama

Tuesday, September 21, 2010
The count of remaining days of summer is getting small. Today had that transitional mix of weather; some rain, some hail pellets, some sun, some more rain, an evening rainbow, and finally, great clouds to end the day. Even after darkness, an almost full moon shown nicely through the broken clouds.

Evening Sky with Clouds
Evening Sky with Clouds

Monday, September 20, 2010
Today was another day that contained a full mix of weather conditions. There was rain overnight, mostly cloudy for most of the morning. A peek or two at the sun along with some additional showers in the afternoon. The evening continued the trend with sun and clouds mixed with showers passing along the hills.

Distorted Afternoon Sun and Cloud Mix
Distorted Afternoon Sun and Cloud Mix

Sunday, September 19, 2010
Mostly cloudy, cool, some fog, and rain. It was a great day for a day trip to Glacier National Park! (Last day that Going to the Sun Road is open for this season).

Glacier National Park Trip (Video at Youtube)

Saturday, September 18, 2010
Cloudy. Some fog around the edges. Cool. There was also a light rainfall during the afternoon. In keeping with the ability of each day to have a little of everything, the sun showed for a bit of time during the early evening.

Evening View East and South
Evening View East and South

Friday, September 17, 2010
Cloudy with rain overnight. Some scattered rain from time to time during the day. The clouds kept the temperatures fairly cool.

Overcast Panorama of the Pasture
Mid afternoon panorama in the pasture

Thursday, September 16, 2010
Clouds moved in overnight and the day began with a little light rain.

Morning Panorama
Morning Panorama

Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Mostly clear early today with some clouds developing during the afternoon. Even with the clouds, the day stayed dry and it was fairly warm.

Afternoon Clouds Over the Horses
Afternoon Clouds Over the Horses

Tuesday, September 14, 2010
It was mostly clear overnight with just some highlight clouds around early today. The day became a mix of clouds and some thunder was heard as heavier clouds moved along the south during the afternoon. As the day was ending, more clouds moved through and some light rain fell.

The Evening Sky and Clouds
The Evening Sky and Clouds

Monday, September 13, 2010
Mostly sunny with just clouds around the sky to add a little variety to an otherwise total blue sky day from the beginning to the end. Light wind allowed another bike ride during which I logged mile number 1,000 for the Bike Friday Pocket Llama for this year!

Sunrise Panorama
Sunrise Panorama

Pocket Llama Raised High after 1,000 Miles!
Daniel and Pocket Llama Raised High after 1,000 Miles!

Evening Panorama Northeast to Southeast
Evening Panorama Northeast to Southeast

Sunday, September 12, 2010
Clear overnight with some light frost on the roof. Sunny, clear and dry throughout the day. Warm temperatures for this date making it another great day in NW Montana.

Mid Day Trail Ride
Trail ride along the upper pasture fence line

Saturday, September 11, 2010
Mostly cloudy to partly sunny was the weather of the day.

Evening Sky before Sunset - Original
Evening sky and west trees

Evening Sky before Sunset - Solarized
Evening Sky before Sunset - Solarized

Ranch Flag at 9:11 AM on 09/11/2010
Ranch Flag at 9:11 AM on 09/11/2010

Friday, September 10, 2010
It was a day of mixed clouds and sun at the ranch. Cloudiness overnight kept the temperature from falling too far. During the day, the mix of clouds with the sun kept the maximum from going to high, too. It was a good day in NW Montana.

Afternoon Sun across the Ranch
Afternoon Sun across the Ranch

Thursday, September 9, 2010
The rain ended overnight but the clouds that brought it remained through the morning. In fact, mostly cloudy conditions dominated the day with just some brief glimpses at sunlight. The lack of sunshine did not keep the deer from making the daily rounds through the ranch pastures and woods areas.

Young Buck and Fawn
Young Buck and Fawn

Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Variably cloudy with some periods of sun. The clouds increased late in the day and rain was falling during the last animal check of the day around 10:00 PM. This rain continued through the end of the day and some filtered into the next day.

Partly Sunny Panorama from the Deck
Some sun through the clouds today

Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Mostly cloudy through the morning hours today. The afternoon managed to be partly sunny with an on-going high overcast filtering the sun through the evening. A few drops of rain fell, but not enough to wet a surface, just drops on the ground.

Morning Sky with Clouds
Morning Sky with Clouds

Monday, September 6, 2010
The cloudy conditions of yesterday were dissolved somewhat overnight to give partly cloudy sky this morning. A mix of sun and clouds stayed around for most of the morning and the early afternoon. However, by mid-afternoon, the clouds took over. Just a few drops of rain fell but the clouds stayed through the evening and into the darkness of the night.

Caterpillar on the Fence
Caterpillar on the fence

Sunday, September 5, 2010
Partly cloudy early in the day became mostly cloudy as the day continued. Rain, along with some ice pellets began to fall just as Patti and I returned from a short trail ride on the horses. The afternoon was mostly cloudy with periods of heavy rain at times. The evening stayed mostly cloudy and cooling temperatures are here again.

Sunrise Merge
Merge of three sunrise images

Saturday, September 4, 2010
Some cloudiness overnight and early today to keep the temperature from falling too far. Clouds seemed to move along the south and southeast during the late morning through early afternoon. Nothing here at the ranch though as the afternoon was mostly sunny, warm, and a bit breezy. I did a bike ride trails to bales this morning and finished the afternoon doing some wood cutting while Patti painted a horse shelter. As summer is winding down, it is important to do as many things as possible each day!

Biking Trails to Bales
Biking Trails to Bales

Painting the Horse Shelter
Painting

Making Wood
Making Wood

Evening Sky
Evening Sky

Friday, September 3, 2010
Mostly clear overnight. Cool, but not any frost this morning. Sunny and warmer day today than we have had all week. A good return to summer conditions.

Morning Sky before Sunrise
Morning Sky before Sunrise

Thursday, September 2, 2010
Mostly clear and frosty at the ranch this morning while clouds and fog could be seen in the valley to the east. The clouds rolled up the hill during the morning and mostly cloudy conditions persisted until mid-morning. After a break-up of the clouds during the middle of the day, it was sunny with a bit of warming through the afternoon.

"Sunny Pasture Panorama during Afternoon Walk
Sunny Pasture Panorama during Afternoon Walk

Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Today was quite a mix of conditions: periods of clouds, light showers from time to time, and followed by partly cloudy conditions cycling through about every two hours.

Evening Clouds Coming and Going
Evening Clouds Coming and Going

18. bionicdan
3:44 PM GMT on September 27, 2010
juslivn: Thank you for the Fall greeting!

Linda: I am glad you liked the evening cloud photograph. It was a quick rain event late in the day that left those clouds behind. The east sky had a rainbow and the rain that fell at the ranch was only enough to put drop dots on the deck.

Regarding the inverted image. I enjoyed the look it gave when tipping it over. The original image just asked for that to be done. Another photograph I took at the same time also proved to be more interesting as an upside-down image.

The Mullein: Verbascum Thapsus is an interesting plant. I have allowed them to grow freely for years (going back to some Minnesota days ... I'm not sure why I like them, but I do!

Sounds like you are getting some delightful weather, too. Just don't let it turn your world upside down!
17. shoreacres
2:56 AM GMT on September 27, 2010
Giggle - ever see someone stand on her head looking at a computer screen? That's quite some mirror image - even when I figured it out, and even after I read your caption, I still hardly could get my mind around it.

That's a great plant, too - never have seen that before.

I just can hardly bear the thought of going to bed tonight - we've had our first front, and the humidity's going downdowndown, the temp's only 77 and there's a nice north wind. Dixie Rose is on sniff patrol - she loves these open windows. Best of all, it's going to be 60/80 the whole week, with no rain. Maybe a little warmer, but it will do. And all of this frontal stuff is good for keeping hurricanes away, too!
16. shoreacres
2:28 AM GMT on September 23, 2010
Daniel - a quick note to say how much I like the new "Evening Sky with Clouds". We rarely see that color combination here - yellow's associated mostly with storm skies, it seems. It's just a lovely photo.
15. juslivn
2:17 AM GMT on September 23, 2010
To you and yours with the changing seasons,

Photobucket
14. bionicdan
12:10 AM GMT on September 23, 2010
Linda: I did check out Don Morton's website. He has certainly done some very interesting things. (Definitely keeps busy with all of the research work and the presentations and papers he has written).

We got a break from our mostly cloudy and wet conditions today, too. And, hopefully we'll have good conditions for a couple of days!
13. shoreacres
4:19 AM GMT on September 22, 2010
Ah-ha. It does fold. It certainly has a memorable name.

Have you ever peeked into Don Morton's blog here on WU? You might enjoy clicking on his personal and professional pages in the sidebar: science, computing, weather, Alaska and dogs. All good stuff! It never occured to me somebody'd be out there mushing their dogs along the pipeline! LOL

After four days of off and on rain we'd got a moon peeking through tonight. I hope we can get some dry weather now. It looks like someone's going to get sideswiped by the "M" storm, though. The name escapes me just now ;-)
12. bionicdan
7:00 PM GMT on September 18, 2010
Linda: I am glad to hear there has been some improvement in your vision.

The Pocket Llama is pretty sturdy. The rims are 20" (compared to 26" or 27" for a normal mountain or road bike). This particular model, by Bike Friday, is designed as a cross-bike. Sturdy enough to be used as a mountain bike (with tires up to 2.5" wide) and light enough to be used as a road bike (with tires as narrow as 1.25"). I have mine set up with 1.9" tires and use it both on tar surfaces and gravel roads. It has become my favorite bike! Also, if I were to ever travel again, it folds and fits in a suitcase that can fly as baggage.

Pocket Llama along Truman Creek Road
Bike Friday Pocket Llama
11. shoreacres
2:34 AM GMT on September 18, 2010
Evening, Daniel,

We're rainy and what passes for coolish here, and I've got my fingers crossed that what's left of Karl in the Gulf of Mexico doesn't decide to see if it can't spin up into something. I just don't have time for it ;-)

After a weeks' worth of medication meant to reduce pressure on my optic nerve, I've been feeling as though things are a little sharper. Sure enough - the puffy baby cumulus along the very top of "Evening Clouds Coming and Going" are visible now, as are the ones immediately above the box elder tree. Now, they aren't crisp and the colors are just as washed out, but I couldn't even see them before I started the medication. Forget eye charts! I have your photography. Much more pleasant to look at.

That pocket Llama looks like one tough bike. Is it as small as it looks in the photo? Cruisers always have those folding bicycles tucked away for use when they're in port - but I don't think they could be nearly as sturdy as yours. That really is one fine looking bike!
10. bionicdan
12:54 AM GMT on September 13, 2010
shore: Thanks! I rather like the caterpillar, too! I am glad you liked some of the other photos. Every once in a while I try changing a photo just a bit. The original looked almost totally black & white although it was taken with normal color settings. So, I decided to add the color myself to see what happened.
9. bionicdan
12:51 AM GMT on September 13, 2010
juslivn: I can understand the deer vs caterpillar. However; I like that particular kind of caterpillar. (Don't much care for spiders, though: house rule - spiders in the house must die). The bike on the bale was fun. I was afraid it might fall off before I finished my photos!

Yup - colors in the woods and frost from time to time. Each good day is used to the maximum!
8. shoreacres
11:31 PM GMT on September 12, 2010
Re: juslivn's comment - I've become rather a fan of the caterpillars since I've started seeing really good photos of them on WU. There are some beauties, that's for sure. (And apparently some poison ones, too. Never had a clue about that.)

The buck and fawn are lovely - and I really do like that solarized photo. To paraphrase River Rat from The Wind in the Willows, there's nothing half so much fun as just messing about with photography! LOL
7. juslivn
5:01 AM GMT on September 10, 2010
Love the deer a tad better then the caterpillar but that's just a preference of animals over bugs, lol. (I should not be a gardener or a sailor because I do not like bugs, and the wind freaks me out, but I torture myself w/both anyway????) Great pics! The bike on the bale is funny! Actually, really funny!

Trees and fields starting to turn here as I'm sure they are there, too. Amazing yellows all around, with some maple reds popping.

Hope you get sunshine tomorrow and for the weekend! Take care!
6. shoreacres
3:12 PM GMT on September 06, 2010
Daniel,

The sticky keys are related to the ease of access functions. You enable it by pressing the shift key five times in succession. A screen pops up asking if you really want to enable it, etc.

Now, if I make it happen by pressing the shift key five times, I can simply make it go away by clicking "no" and proceeding on. But somehow the shift key got depressed and stayed depressed - and that made my mouse non-functional and I got depressed!

I still don't understand the purpose of all this, but in messing around with it I also got my alt key to stay depressed. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Seems to me some programmer had too much time on his/her hands. It goes make me wonder what else is hidden inside this machine I know nothing about!

I have a friend with a Dell laptop who's got a suddenly wild cursor, too. It might be worth exploring the accessibility programs to see if they're involved. On the other hand, I'm running Vista, and the same nanny who keeps asking me if I'm SURE I want to do this or that may be the one who added the sticky keys!
5. bionicdan
2:57 PM GMT on September 06, 2010
Linda: Interesting about the Sticky Key function. Patti's computer has had strange jumping cursor actions; perhaps this is the problem.
4. shoreacres
3:53 AM GMT on September 06, 2010
Evening, Daniel,

Well, my goodness. Grandma used to tell me this or that was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick - guess she was right! I hope you're all healed up now - life's hard out there on the frontier!

It just looks lovely up your way. For some reason that little painting project put me in mind of Tom Sawyer ;-) If I were to wander by, I'll bet I could be persuaded to pick up a roller or brush! Tell Patti she's doing a fine job.

I'm happy as a clam - I got my computer back.
When I first got it home I still was having trouble with the mouse not functioning properly. Took it back and they couldn't replicate the problem. I brought it back home, and it started acting up again.

I decided it had to be one of my peripherals - I suspected the mouse, but it was the keyboard. Turns out there's a function called "sticky key" I didn't even know existed. I'd accidentally set it off, and it was happily wreaking havoc with my system. Sigh. But it's all better now, and I can't wait to tell the expert what the problem was!
3. juslivn
6:00 PM GMT on September 05, 2010
Photobucket
2. bionicdan
4:47 AM GMT on September 05, 2010
Linda: Sorry to hear about your eye problems. I hope it all turns out okay. I had a poke in the eye with a sharp stick event last month, and it looked pretty bad but did not cause much of a vision problem.

Eye after Stick Poke (Jul 22, 2010)
Daniels eye after stick poke

Yes. Good weather today. But, the forecast looks like the current (11:00 PM) temperature is expected to be the high temperature for tomorrow. Must be something going on that doesn't show on the radar!
1. shoreacres
4:14 AM GMT on September 05, 2010
I'm a little late to wish you a good change of month, but it's been a little crazy around here. On 9/2 my computer did a few spins around the room, tried a backflip or two and then just locked up tight. I'd shut it down for a restart to see if I could end the craziness and it wouldn't accept my password.

It informed me I could insert my password restoration disk and I said, "Huh?" It may have asked me if I wanted to make one two years ago when I got it, but I knew I'd never forget my password. And I haven't. It's just that the computer forgot it. ;-)

Anyway, it went directly to the computer hospital, where they plugged the d*#! thing in and it promptly rebooted itself. Sigh. Anyway, they're doing this and that and we'll give it another go when it comes back. Just weird.

I might have tried troubleshooting it myself, but I was in no frame of mind for that. I've been making the rounds of eye doctors, and after a mis-diagnosis of cataracts from doc #1, I went on to get a diagnosis of glaucoma from doc #2 and doc #3. What was that game show with the doors? "I'll take retina damage for $500...." Anyway, I'm on my way back to the good dr. on Tuesday for a couple more tests and then a treatment plan. One step at a time.

It was interesting to learn that the retina specialist I saw runs the NYC marathon every year. He's originally from CT, and is quite into boats, varnish and etc... they practically had to pry him away to see the next patient. He didn't want to see pts, he wanted to talk sailing! ;) Really a nice fellow.

Anyhow, that's my life right now. I'm going to try and get things put back together a bit over the next couple of days.

It's really sad and anxiety producing - when I look at the pic of evening clouds coming and going with my left eye, I can't even see the little clouds above the box elder. This business has come on fast - and I'm at the point where I can't get back into that office fast enough to start some treatment. Wouldn't you know I'd get the kind about 5% of folks get - it comes on fast and without the pressure rises that often give a signal. Sigh. But, they work all kinds of magic these days, so we'll see. (Now, there's a bad joke! LOL)

Looks like you've got fine weather for your chores - I know you'll make use of it!

bionicdan's Daily Notes and Ramblings

About bionicdan

Retired. Now a rancher and life observer. Speak softly and carry a camera with a big memory stick.

Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds

bionicdan's Recent Photos

Mountains Lake and Trees
Classic Glacier National Park
Mountain Reflections
Quiet Lake Panorama

Personal Weather Stations

Ranch west of Kalispell at 3317'
Kalispell, MT