Khao Lak

By: Ylee , 12:12 PM GMT on February 03, 2013

Click for Lewisport, Kentucky Forecast

Free Hit Counter
Free Hit Counter

Map

Khao Lak is roughly a 12 1/2 mile strip of seaside resorts in southern Thailand. It distinguishes itself by being surrounded by national parks and uncrowded beaches, and the residents live at a relatively slow pace. Tourism is the #1 industry here, as the main road through the area is lined with tourist-oriented businesses.

The Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004 officially claimed the lives of over 4000 residents and tourists, with another 3000 unaccounted for. Since then, the locals have done a remarkable job of rebuilding, albeit mostly on higher ground!

Above is a new tsunami storm shelter. The landscape is dotted with tsunami sirens to alert everyone to flee to higher ground.

From Khao Lak Land Discovery,, the Khao Lak cam!
Click for Phuket, Thailand Forecast

From Zafer, the Boca Raton beach cam! Full Size
Click for Boca Raton, Florida Forecast

From Jigokudani Yaenkoen, the Snow Monkey cam! Full Size
Click for Nagano, Japan Forecast

From kapstadt.de, the Table Mountain cam! Full Size
Click for Cape Town, South Africa Forecast

From TroyLeslie, the feeder cam!
Click for Dallas, North Carolina Forecast

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4Blog Index

162. plapman
1:54 PM GMT on April 22, 2013
Good day YLee
161. plapman
6:26 PM GMT on March 29, 2013
Good day Ylee.
I was trying to sort out some of the wires behind my pc. I guess I pulled on the webcam wire too hard.
Enjoy your day while we enjoy the melt.
8:57 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Ylee has created a new entry.
159. traumaboyy
8:06 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
So is this a new blog watch or warning??
158. Alleyoops
7:30 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Hi Ylee. Looking forward to the new blog. Will catch it in the AM. Right now I guess I should head to bed. It's 2:30 AM....LOL
157. Ylee
7:22 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Got all the cams! Now it's time to construct the new blog!
156. Ylee
6:42 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Since you live on high ground, I'd just be wary of severe stuff; there were some tornado warnings in La. earlier today!

Speaking of rain, looks like we're about to get hit, ourselves! :P
155. traumaboyy
6:12 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Thanks man....looks like we will be having some epic flooding of the Chatahoochee/Apalachicola river system this week. I am well out of the flood plain but it was at flood stage last thursday, which was the day before it started again.
154. Ylee
5:52 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Hey, Trauma! C'mon up! No river needed, lol!
153. traumaboyy
5:30 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Whatup Ylee!!!

May need to drive the boat up to your place and hold up a couple days if it keeps raining!!
152. Ylee
5:02 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Just waiting on the sun to come up in Italy....
151. Ylee
3:27 AM GMT on February 26, 2013
Hi,GG, oz, Sandi, and Tony, I have to get back to work on the new blog! I should have it done by the morn, as I only have two cams to find, and it's really dead here tonight!
150. plapman
1:50 PM GMT on February 25, 2013
Good morning YLee.
I'll try and do another chapter in the flood protection series today.
Have a good day.
149. GardenGrrl
10:43 AM GMT on February 25, 2013
Perhaps the four watchers were on a special field trip from the cooking school.
148. sandiquiz
6:45 AM GMT on February 25, 2013
Humidity of over 80% must be awfully sticky! Poor Oz :-(

Eighteen monkeys in the tub, with only four "watchers"! Bug where are you!!

Well, fiddle de de! After refreshing the blog to post my comment there's now four watchers and NOT one monkey! They were there, I counted them twice! I wonder what scared them?
147. ozgalah
6:23 AM GMT on February 25, 2013
Hi Guys, yes some parts of Adelaide have got rain we've just got a few spots and high humidity! Bring it on down Huey (thats Aussie for give us some rain)!
146. Ylee
12:49 AM GMT on February 25, 2013
Briar, I don't think ozgalah minds the rain one bit! :' )

Alley, Tony might know a thing or two about setting a cam up! Cheap, too!

Bug, it is early on a Monday there, so maybe most folks are at work!

Time to go home! Be Back tomorrow night!
145. calpoppy
12:45 AM GMT on February 25, 2013
I think they all arrived on a bus, Bug! Can't see the monkeys for the tourists!!

Hi Ylee!!!
144. palmettobug53
12:17 AM GMT on February 25, 2013
Yeah, Adelaide is really foggy.

Amazingly, there's only one tourist at the hot tub. I can actually see the monkeys!
143. Alleyoops
12:03 AM GMT on February 25, 2013
Wouldn't mind having a critter cam for my porch but I have no idea how about setting one up, what software I would need and how to get a long enough cable to reach from the cam to the computer. Cost wise, that is another thing. But it sure would be fun to see just who comes here to eat during the night and it would give me a chance to see what "little ones" venture out of the garage once they are brave enough.
142. BriarCraft
11:26 PM GMT on February 24, 2013
I see you're working on a new blog, but I can't help commenting on the one lone monkey sitting on the edge of the hot tub looking all lonely and dejected, like the others left him behind.

Other than the monkey and Boca Raton, everything else is pretty dark and boring right now. Even Adelaide is having a gray, rainy day.

Wonder what Ylee's got cookin' now?
141. Ylee
10:27 PM GMT on February 24, 2013
Hi, oz! You snuck in there! I hope you get rain soon, if nothing else but to break the heat! Outer Harbour's weathersticker says light rain showers, so maybe you'll get some soon!
140. Ylee
10:17 PM GMT on February 24, 2013
Three more cams to go, and the new blog will be set!

That's pretty close to what I saw, Sandi! Nice!

Bug, haven't you been working on the new software for about six months now? Has the ones who wrote the programming ever did anything like your job? It can't be very good software to give you this much trouble! :(
139. ozgalah
10:08 PM GMT on February 24, 2013
Hi Ylee, Adelaide is a bit hazy we have a 40% chance of rain but they have forecast showers over the last few days and we have had none so we wait and see! Many other parts of Oz are very wet I spoke to a friend yesterday in northern New South Wales and she has had enough of the rain. I was just playing ball with our five dogs and the first few throws are great but after about four the dust doesn't settle between throws and I come in from the dog run very, very dusty!!Enjoy your day!
138. palmettobug53
3:27 PM GMT on February 24, 2013
Fat Albert at the feeder cam. I see the time is current, so the glitch got fixed, whatever it was.

It's not my office management's decision re: OT; it's from higher up. Not much we can do about it. As our new software gets it's problems worked out and we can get it to do more of the work, things should smooth out some. That's been part of the problem recently. We had the old system tweaked just right; it will take time to tweak the new one.

137. sandiquiz
3:05 PM GMT on February 24, 2013
Kilimanjaro by Moonlight :)

136. Ylee
2:30 PM GMT on February 24, 2013
Good morning! Another chilly start, 21F as I left the house this morning! Should get into the 40s, though!

Let's see if I can make a dent in the new blog today!

Bug, your office screams "weak management"! A good office manager could've ramped up OT as needed, and kept the slackers busy until the work was caught up! Just hammering on people to get the work done on regular time increases burnout, turnover, and time off due to illness, IMO!

Sandi, you were up late! :' ) I'll be looking forward to your posting of the Kilamanjaro capture!

GG, did you see the blog Christopher Burt has on Japan's heavy snows? I didn't know they got that much, and I think the snow monkey cam is in one of the heavier areas, snow-wise!

Good morning, Alley! From all the varmits that stop by to dine at your place, I think you need to set up a critter cam! :' ) The only thing that the feeder cam has on you is deer, lol!
135. Alleyoops
11:10 AM GMT on February 24, 2013
Good morning Ylee. An early morning for me, just needed a jolt of coffee to get my day started. Fresh pot on brewing as I write this. Went to bed with the chickens last night so I am up with the bats as they make their way to their daytime beds. Soon I will be putting food out for the crew before they head off to their sleeping quarters too. My biggest problem are starlings who come and steal it all. I do have a helper though, MR Hawk. He hangs around here all the time catching himself a fat young starling...LOL Peanut, my black squirrel comes and partakes of the goodies out there too. Just wait until possum, Stinkie the skunk and ms raccoon starts their spring foraging. LOL

Anyway, have a great day. More snow melt for us today as temps rise over the freezing mark. Soon it will be all gone again.
134. GardenGrrl
10:49 AM GMT on February 24, 2013
Good Morning. Lots of new snow at the hot tub but no monkeys. I think the Boca Beach looks real good this morning.
133. sandiquiz
7:00 AM GMT on February 24, 2013
Hi there, Ylee,

More snow at the castle this morning, and only one lone photographer, with a long lens, at the monkey pool. SA stuck at midnight!

The Kamp Kanzi web page you posted in # 128 shows a wonderful morning. The top of Kilamanjaro has snow on it...that's what I could see when you posted it initially. I took a web shot of it in the moonlight, and will post it later :-)
132. palmettobug53
1:50 AM GMT on February 24, 2013
Back for a peek.

Moon is up over Milos. Too many tourists at the monkey cam. You can barely see the monkeys.

I wonder what they think about all those people snapping pictures as they bathe. No privacy, at all; very inconsiderate! lol

I think the feeder cam is down again. The image is frozen at 16:52 and it is currently 20:41.

Oh, they definitely want the work done; they just expect us to do increased workloads in the same amount of time. OT is strictly forbidden except on very rare occasions for, say, a special project with a short deadline.

OT used to be common in my office but it's been a good 5 years since they clamped down on it. The main reason back then was they found that people were abusing OT. Now, they're saying there's no money in the budget for OT.

I think I've worked OT maybe twice since then and that was only for a few hours.
131. Ylee
12:16 AM GMT on February 24, 2013
Hey, Rob, I'm goofing off, and get paid for it! What could be better? ;' )

Bug, I'm afraid this computer has a long way to go before I figuratively put a bullet in it, or throw it in a furnace! :' ) Like most equipment here, they'll keep band-aiding it until the motherboard is fried, then I'll get another one out of The Olde Computer's Home! Sadly enough, I'm used to this computer, and until they replace it with something built in say, 2010, I don't want another one.

Orders are down here from December until March; in some ways, that's a good thing, because stuff gets more extensive repair. April brings the beginnings of vacations, and call offs due to nice weather, and OT starts to spike, keeping me busy until October.

As for your place of work, I'm assuming they aren't too concerned about the amount of work done, or they'd schedule OT. I've always heard that a business that provides benefits to its' employees would rather give out OT, than hire new people.
130. palmettobug53
11:07 PM GMT on February 23, 2013
Well, it looks like I've been picking the wrong times to stop by lately. Haven't seen any activity, anywhere, other than the beach at Boca Raton. And those folks don't move around much. They just sit there! lol

It's either nighttime or simply nothing going on.

Rats...

Boy, Ylee, you've said the work computer is bad but it sure sounds like it's on it's last legs.

I can imagine it's hard to have a job that slows down right after the Christmas bills. I also know what you mean about liking to pay ahead on bills. Get them out of the way faster and with less interest.

My job is one of those regular Mon-Fri deals; a 40 hour week. No OT, though. The mere mention of anyone wanting OT throws Admin into a panic about $$$$. Which is nothing unusual. They're always in a panic about $$$$. They have good reason but it's still kinda hard when you're up to your eyeballs in work and can't get it done on regular time, no matter how hard you try. I'm perpetually behind.

I guess I should count my blessings, though. Some folks don't have jobs at all.

Still, I keep thinking about that saying, "When you're up to your #&$ in alligators, it's hard to remember that your objective is to drain the swamp."
129. RobDaHood
10:10 PM GMT on February 23, 2013
Soooo...you are goofing off today!
Well, good for you!

Have a really great weekend Ylee!
128. Ylee
10:02 PM GMT on February 23, 2013
Thought I'd post this "Kilamanjaro in moonlight" shot! Note: the image will change with time, so if you see it sunny or whatnot, just believe me when I say at 4PM CDT on Feb 23, you could see Kilamanjaro in the moonlight! :' )

127. Ylee
7:58 PM GMT on February 23, 2013
It's cold and breezy here today, Janet, temps are struggling to hit 40, with much colder wind chills! No frogs singing today!

As for my trip, although we spent the nights in KY, we managed to make it about halfway between me and you! ;' )
126. janetlee
7:50 PM GMT on February 23, 2013
And just where did you go galavanting off to to have driven over 900 miles! Or are you still going to keep that a secret.
Boca is looking very inviting today even if it is still full of all the snowbirds at this time of year.
We are getting rain & more rain today.
Take care
125. Ylee
4:39 PM GMT on February 23, 2013
Good morning! I'm back for at least four days! Didn't know if I was going to be able to log on here with Glitchy, as it was flashing an ominous-looking red light on the computer where a green light should be! Fortunately, I unplugged the computer for a few minutes, and everything righted itself, thank goodness!

Been a mixed bag here weather-wise! All we had from the big storm was some rain and enough sleet to put a little slush on the deck! Otherwise, it's been a mix of sun and clouds. Sunny and 42 forecast for today.

Will start working on the new blog as soon as I find out what mischief you all have been up to, lol!

Alley, sounds like you've had a mixed bag weather-wise, also! Hopefully you'll get another warm up, soon, and all the snow will go away for the winter this time!

Maybe once you start getting your pension, you can make it down to Boca! :' )

Thanks for the explanation, ogal! Neat that your hubby has interesting ancestors! Maybe one of my great-great grandchildren will name a dog afer me, lol!

Hiya, Todd! Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

Hi, GG! Thanks for the bump!

NIce reflection of the Moon over Milos, Sandi! Thanks for posting that!

That's cool, ycd! He's using his cam for a message board, I guess!

Bug, I'm sure the folks at the castle are as ready for spring as I am!

Oz, I reall, really, really hope your drought ends soon. I also hope you get some nice weather when you come to the States later!

Briar, FWIW, I did hone my solitaire skills while I was off! :' )
124. Alleyoops
7:38 PM GMT on February 22, 2013
Sure wish I was sitting on that Beach at Boca Raton rather than freezing my chooties off here in SW Ont. We got about 4 inches of the white stuff dumped on us from that system that blew through this morning. Not a happy camper but it does no use to complain as it is still Feb. Another month then we should not be seeing any more of this white crap.

Got my notice today that I was approved for old age pension that will start in Dec. Jeeze, boy does it make me feel old...but it should help my finances when everything all kicks in together.

Anyway, time for my afternoon nap. Old folks need their beauty snoozes...

Hope your having a great week.
123. GardenGrrl
2:51 PM GMT on February 22, 2013
Well, Happy Birthday Peter!
122. BriarCraft
10:19 PM GMT on February 20, 2013
Ack! Bad timing on my part, as far as the cams go. There's a lovely summer's morning happening in Adelaide and there are still some folks at the beach in Boca Raton, but no hot-tub monkeys, nobody at the feeder, the canoe shop is closed for the day. The palm trees and city lights in Cape Town are the highlight of the afternoon for me.

Cold and not-nice weather in your forecast. Hope you're snug and warm indoors, Ylee, working on a fun hobby or something.
121. ozgalah
10:01 PM GMT on February 20, 2013
You could be right Ylee, went to pick some basil to make H some tomato pasta sauce and it was crispy on the plant! Have lost a couple of big trees this year too but I think the drought a couple of years ago started it,Glad you enjoyed your break, we're starting to plan this years adventures USA later in the year to see daughter and maybe trip to Tassie (Tasmania)around Easter but also looking at Ularu which I would love to see!! Adelaide looks very still and quiet on the cams.
120. palmettobug53
4:37 PM GMT on February 20, 2013
Happy birthday, Peter, whoever you are! lol

The castle looks lovely with it's dusting of snow.
119. ycd0108
3:32 PM GMT on February 20, 2013
New note on the Canoeshop:
Happy Birthday Peter *32*.
118. sandiquiz
3:19 PM GMT on February 20, 2013
Moon over Milos - As Promised:)

117. GardenGrrl
10:54 AM GMT on February 20, 2013
Good Morning. Bumping the blog up until you are back Saturday.
116. toddluck
3:56 PM GMT on February 19, 2013
good morning
115. OGal
3:03 PM GMT on February 19, 2013

Henry Clay Whitney rode the circuit with Abraham Lincoln. He also was my husband's great, great grandfather. Hence the name of Henry Clay.
114. Alleyoops
1:24 PM GMT on February 19, 2013
Unfortunately, work always calls and yes, getting homesick for the kids is a big factor but it is good you got away for a bit. Just a change of scenery is good for the soul.

Don't know what you guys did last night, but all my snow is gone. That southernly flow certainly did melt it all. Nice to get up this morning and see green grass all over again.

Well dear one, sorry to hear that you are having a short week at work, I am sure things will pick up soon, Feb is a month when things have whined down to the point of just finishing production before the end of the fiscal year then everything comes on strong. Enjoy it while you can. Have a great day dear ones.
113. Ylee
12:33 PM GMT on February 19, 2013
Time to go home! Unfortunately, I won't be back until Saturday! :(

Everybody take care!
112. Ylee
11:44 AM GMT on February 19, 2013
That sucks, GG! Is it by design, or because a lot of people are off sick or on disability?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4Blog Index

Windows to the World

About Ylee

I live and work in metropolitan Lewisport, KY. I like webcams, through which I can see the whole world!