Monkey Fest

By: WatchinTheSky , 10:39 PM GMT on May 07, 2011

May 7 Saturday

Some of the plants blooming at the Park this morning, mostly monkey flowers - mimulus or diplacus depending on who you read.

A few from the backyard -
I often see a face with a bonnet in the penstamons

First blooms on the desert willow this year. One of my favorites when in full bloom

Diminutive but cool chia sage

One for calpoppy :)

6. SBKaren
2:58 AM GMT on May 10, 2011
Watchin' - I don't know what's up with our weather. I thought we were finally arriving in spring, but now it's getting cool again.

Saturday ended up being a nice day. I didn't expect to see any sun. I did drive up to the valley to visit with some friends, and we got to their house about noon - just as the sun came out. It was a glorious afternoon. Driving home about 5-5:30, I could see the marine layer come back in.

That said, I expected to wake up to rain on Sunday (nope) and today (Monday), nope. Wasn't terribly warm, but wasn't bad either. I wouldn't mind seeing temps in the 70s again, but I think we hit the high 60s. That can feel quite nice to me. As long as the sun in shining, I won't complain too badly - as it sounds like some cloudy weather up ahead of us.

Guess I'd better be sure to get my vitamin D while I can!!!
5. BriarCraft
4:54 PM GMT on May 09, 2011
You captured the face perfectly in that penstamen. Beautiful flowers, both at home and at the park. You sure do take beautiful close-ups.
4. calpoppy
8:20 PM GMT on May 08, 2011
Sticky monkey flowers! I have seen them other places hiking but not around here. Love the calpoppies :)

It is windy here and cooling off, with clouds trying to make it over the mountains. Right now there are two Scott's Orioles fighting over the feeder, they actually raise their back feathers at each other, getting fiesty!

Wish your wife a very Happy Mother's Day!
3. GardenGrrl
8:08 AM GMT on May 08, 2011
Pretty flowers. Like how the white poppies photographed.
2. WatchinTheSky
3:55 AM GMT on May 08, 2011
Hi Karen - What is happening to our weather? Maybe rain Monday!
I had not heard of monkey flowers before 'working' at the Park. Now I have lots of them in the backyard. They bloom almost all year round (at least in my yard) and are generally chaparral and coastal sage scrub plants and most put up well with warm (hot?) and dry summers. They reseed readily in exposed soil, not so much when leaf debris builds up.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there!!
1. SBKaren
2:53 AM GMT on May 08, 2011
Beautiful flowers!!! All of them. I've never heard of monkey flowers before.

Of course my all time favorite is the California poppy! Such a pretty, pretty orange!

WatchinTheSky's WunderBlog

About WatchinTheSky

Observations and occasional comments about San Diego county weather - nature - and the world around us.