Drying out

By: NEwxguy , 2:18 PM GMT on February 25, 2013

Feb.28th
Never thought I would be so glad to see a month come to an end,but Feb. is one of those month.Its the shortest month of the year,but it appeared to go on forever.Little sunshine,almost 5 inches of precip,one huge blizzard,over 1 inch of rain yesterday and not a whole lot of sun.March is not going to start off very sunny either,but right now no big storms in sight.We do have to watch a coastal storm mid next week,but right now looks to stay far enough south to have little or no effect."We have to watch it"
So meteorological spring begins tomorrow.This time of year it doesn't mean much.Won't see a lot warmer temps until at least mid month.Last year was an exception,it was exceptionally warm all month.

Feb.27th
So a rainy day for southern new england while our neighbors to the north get a pretty heavy snowfall.The heaviest precip will be this morning,but with blocking out in the Atlantic, clearing will be agonizingly slow. Don't expect to see too much sun right through the weekend and we will be below normal for temps.

Feb.26th
One more day of quiet weather and then that midwest storm starts effect us here in New England.
For the most part it will be rain in southern new england,but higher elevations and western portions on up into new hampshire and Vermont,Maine could see a sizable snowfall.The problem is things won't clear out quickly as blocking has established itself in the atlantic so storms will not be moving east very fast.It will stay unsettled right through the week with periods of showers gradually changing to snow showers by Thrusday night.Weekend looks dry,but we will be watching a coastal storm that should stay out to sea,but something to watch if the blocking continues out in the Atlantck

Feb.25th
Final four days of the month,and it has been a memorable month.We've had a lack of winter all last winter,and pretty easy for the first couple of months this year,and then Feb. decided to remind us it is winter.A couple more inches of snow last night.After periods of snow all yesterday afternoon that didn't amount to anything,it cooled enough last night to pick up a couple of inches although pavements only had a coating on it.
So we have a couple of quiet days ahead before another wintery mess moves in Tuesday night through Wednesday.It should be cold enough for snow to start tomorrow night and some areas especially higher elevations could get significant accumulations before a gradual changing over to mix and rain.

2:22 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
NEwxguy has created a new entry.
23. sheslookingUP
5:27 PM GMT on March 01, 2013
Thank you, NEw and Mass, for your kind words about my husband's dear brother. My sister-in-law has undertaken to care for him at home now for the last several years, since he was diagnosed, and I am in awe of her strength. In some ways the Alzheimer's is a kind of blessing, since he does not know he has leukemia and takes the monthly chemo in stride as just a day at the hospital; fortunately except for a great lack of energy he does not seem to have terrible side-effects from it. So we can be grateful for that at least.

Hope everybody's weekend is pleasant and quiet. Your online friendship is much appreciated.
22. masshysteria
4:45 PM GMT on March 01, 2013
Good Morning, NEw!

So sad to read She's post regarding her brother-in-law's serious illnesses. These days, it seems that many of us "Baby-Boomers" have known of a close relative or friend who has contracted either Alzheimers or Leukemia at a certain stage in their life ... but to get both at the same time?? How unbelievably tragic and cruel! I guess it's best to focus on whatever positive impact a current or once afflicted loved one has had on us during his or her lifetime and continue to appreciate those experiences for years to come. Hope that medical science will someday be able to find affordable cures for these and all other dreaded diseases!!

I gather you're quite busy this TGIF, March 1st, but hope that you'll be able to enjoy most of the first precipitation-free weekend we've had in weeks! Seems that the first half of this month could produce a few more snow flurries, but the latter half could very well be both sunny and warmer than usual, (p/ last night's local TV weathercaster). Fingers crossed we can hold out, at least, another 2-1/2 weeks!

Thought I'd leave you, and others here, with a pleasant springtime visual of hopefully those warmer, drier, sunnier days expected in a few weeks time! We can only hope!!!

21. NEwxguy
6:58 PM GMT on February 28, 2013
Hi,looking,wow robins huh,they'll have a little trouble finding worms in my neighborhood,but I guess there are enough open area,they might get lucky,but still a lot of snow covering yards.

sorry to hear about your B-in-law,yes the big A is a horrible disease,my son-in-law just passed away from complications with alzheimer's,she was in a nursing home and didn't know anyone.Your so right,you just don't know whats around the corner.
At least you won't have any weather worries on your trip.
20. sheslookingUP
5:36 PM GMT on February 28, 2013
I went for a little walk in the local park this morning, and it was packed with robins! Some of them seemed to be just hopping around, listening for something yummy stirring in the ground below, but others had found the "something" and were enthusiastically tugging on it: a nice fat worm I assume. It was great to be able to walk around without rain or snow. Lots of dogs walking their people. One dog had ventured into the flooded wetland at the edge of the park, and was having such a great time splashing around and sticking his nose into great smells. As I mentioned in another post, I've never been a dog owner (cats, around here), but we love their great enthusiasm and basic sweetness. Keep us posted on the dog news, won't you NEw?

We are going to CT this weekend to visit my brother-in-law, who is afflicted with both the Big A and leukemia--so it will not be a really happy time. But he is still the lovable person he always was, even though he does not know us now. You never know what life is going to deal out, do you.

Thank goodness no storms coming up soon--everything around here was very flooded yesterday for several hours. I have had about enough of this--bring on the Spring!
19. NEwxguy
4:12 PM GMT on February 28, 2013
GM,Mass,off to a busy day here,glad to hear you didn't have to mortgage your house for the muffler problem.
Im sure your neighbors are relieved to know they don't have to know when your leaving and arriving each day.
Im with you, I so need some sunshine,although the weekend is going to be mostly dry,it doesn't sound like we will have a lot of sunshine,but at this point any sunshine will do.
18. masshysteria
3:59 PM GMT on February 28, 2013
Good Morning, NEw!

Nice to have caught a glimpse of the sun just awhile ago after seemingly being stuck in such repeated weekends (with a few weekdays included) of either a snow/sleet/rain or mix cycle. Maybe there's hope for us yet?? LOL! Our local weather map seems to show a current break as well with, perhaps, a chance of rain to reach later on. Hopefully, our temps remain above freezing throughout the day and any overnight precipitation will occur as only slight flurries.

Boy, can't wait till my mental imagery of those once sunny, dry, warm spring/summer days, once again, become a reality!! Tired of having to be layered in so many heavy winter clothes indoors and out! Thin-skinned!

P.S. Great news regarding my needed auto repairs! I found the terrific custom exhaust garage nearby, who easily replaced our corroded cuppling or exhaust gasket and charged a mere trifle! It's also great that our car no longer sounds like a loud MAC truck while driving!! Ah, I can hear the usual sounds in my head again! Only kidding!!!! LOL!!!!!

17. NEwxguy
2:06 PM GMT on February 28, 2013
Mass,didn't get a chance to respond to you yesterday,but so good to see you back,I hope nothing too serious going on at your house.
Yes,it was a unsettling day on Friday with your brief ban,with all the trolls going on around here,we tend to suspect too quickly about someone,especially with what happened with Jus. It would be very lonely around here if both of you dropped off.
Thankfully we didn't see any snow out of this past storm,lets hope we are past the worst of the winter. Longer days,warmer temps and changing of the clocks in a couple of weeks,RedSox playing in spring training. Its starting to feel better. This past couple of days are really eaten away at the snow,starting to see a lot of bare ground,but still a lot of snow around in different areas and the huge snowbanks have a long way to go.
16. masshysteria
9:27 PM GMT on February 27, 2013
Good Afternoon, NEW!!

Thanks, again, for your kind words of support regarding last Friday's debacle. Nevertheless, I admit I may very well have let my emotions get in the way before all the facts were better seen and concluded. Sorry that I didn't have the time to remove my last response to the poster in question until it was too late. I don't regret discussing Jus's situation, though, as she seemed clearly wronged and dismissed. Live and learn.

In reviewing your recent posts below, concerning the possibility of your acquiring a new dog, I understand how important it is to check into the natural characteristics of each breed and how, sometimes, the dog can become uncharacteristically quieter or tamer than anticipated. I believe, as in your case, a knowledgeable owner can do wonders in the achievement of such, as your still beloved, Prince, was (as you mentioned) the perfect example. Hope when time and circumstances allow, a new dog will bring much added enjoyment, comfort or companionship to you, yours and your home.

Sounds like you, too, escaped all the snow or sleet found in western parts of Mass and further North in New Hampshire! Can't complain of today's heavy to moderate rainfall as long as it helps wash away more snow to uncover our yards! I think we could see a few more flurries ahead, but nothing too concerning for now. Can't wait to till white turns to brown and brown to green! Hubby and I are chomping at the bit for a return to warmer days and outdoor grilling. Those wintertime oven and microwaved cooked meals become so boring after awhile! LOL!

Have a great evening and will catch you soon! I have to take our car to a referred, highly reputable, custom exhaust shop, as a nearby franchised auto repair shop wanted to replace many other parts that don't need replacing!! My jaw hit the ground at their over-inflated estimate!! Glad there are some other decent specialists around who are willing to refer and understand one's small finances!
15. NEwxguy
8:57 PM GMT on February 27, 2013
About an inch of rain today and still coming down.At least I don't have to shovel it,
but Im sure the roads are going to be flooded making for a messy ride home tonight.
14. NEwxguy
5:19 PM GMT on February 27, 2013
Getting Heavy rains this morning,with wind gusts from the east over 30mph.Not a nice day out there.So far around a 3/4 of an inche.Probably end up with 1-2 inches of rain by the end of the day.
13. NEwxguy
2:44 PM GMT on February 27, 2013
Interesting to compare last year and this year.Talk about the phrase "What a difference a year makes"
Last February we were over 6 degrees above normal.Believe or not we are still running slightly above normal for the month,but only about .5 degees.
Last year I think we only had 3or4 inches of snow,this year we have over 30 inches of snow and some areas west of me are over 40 inches.
It will be interesting to see how March goes.Last year March was another month that was over 6 degrees above normal.
12. NEwxguy
2:22 PM GMT on February 27, 2013
THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN
CONNECTICUT...CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS...EASTERN
MASSACHUSETTS...NORTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...SOUTHEASTERN
MASSACHUSETTS...WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS...SOUTHERN NEW
HAMPSHIRE...NORTHERN RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHERN RHODE ISLAND.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

PERIODS OF HEAVY RAIN TODAY MAY CAUSE LOCALIZED STREET FLOODING.
11. NEwxguy
2:22 PM GMT on February 27, 2013
Alley,
Shelties are known for being rather yippy,and owners who got shelties from the same litter talked about how much they barked,Prince never barked at anything except when he was playing.So it really is the owners responsibility.Just out of respect for your neighbors around you.
10. Alleyoops
4:40 AM GMT on February 27, 2013
Yes NEW, a dog's behavior is all in the teaching from it's owner. Most people don't deserve to own dogs because once they get them, they don't give them any restrictions and bad behavior happens. The doxie that was next door was quiet and reserved, a real little gentleman whereas the other one, a different breed who was the wife's dog, was a real barker. So many times I just wanted to shut it up permanently...she would let it bark for more than 40 min at a time and think it was funny. Bylaws in the city say: No dog is allowed to bark for more than 5 min or you will be fined and have the dog removed. All I can say is, thank goodness they moved away once I had it out with them. The little Bishon will be an ideal dog for your wife. I know you will teach him to be a good dog.
9. NEwxguy
6:27 PM GMT on February 26, 2013
THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN
CONNECTICUT...CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS...EASTERN
MASSACHUSETTS...NORTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...SOUTHEASTERN
MASSACHUSETTS...WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS...NORTHERN RHODE ISLAND AND
SOUTHERN RHODE ISLAND.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MAY EVENTUALLY BE NEEDED FOR LATE
TONIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHERN CONNECTICUT AND CENTRAL AND
WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

THERE IS LOW PROBABILITY OF MINOR COASTAL FLOODING DURING THE
WEDNESDAY HIGH TIDE ALONG THE EAST AND SOUTH COASTS.
8. NEwxguy
5:36 PM GMT on February 26, 2013
Hi,Looking and Alley,
I'm not so excited about getting a dog,but my wife would like a companion and a lap dog to keep her company.The Bichon is a very calm and quiet dog,so that would fit into our lives perfectly,not so sure my cat will like,since he's been the center of attention since Prince died,but he'll have to get use to it.
Alley,the little hot dogs aren't one of my favourites a neighbor down the street had 3 of them,and all they did was bark and be aggressive,but a lot of that is training by the owner and they did not train these dogs at all.
The Min Pincher is a cute dog,but very high energy,we need a dog to fit into our quieter life style.And your right all dogs need to be excercised,which is something I will be doing.
7. Alleyoops
1:48 PM GMT on February 26, 2013
Doxie photo 265546373_1929dacf09_zps4a4073c7.jpg
A wee Doxie.

min pin photo Miniature-Pinscher_zpsca1e7370.jpg

A MinPin...
6. Alleyoops
1:33 PM GMT on February 26, 2013
Well NEW, I see you are looking to add a new member to your family. Bichon Friese are cute little dogs. But I must admit I am rather taken with wonderful "weenies" too. They are such calm little fellows, not big barkers like some small dogs tend to be and not as excitable as some. They tend to be low maintenance too with their short hair. Cute little buggers. Yes I know, coming from a "cat lady" but hey I do love dogs as long as they are not the kind that bark at their damn shadows....You also may want to take a look at "min pins" miniature pinchers. They are very clever little stinkers and sweet too.

5. sheslookingUP
10:43 PM GMT on February 25, 2013
Well, I am not a dog owner, but I did go online and look up the Bichon Frise. What a cute animal! The info online says that they are smart and friendly and playful and want a lot of attention, and, like all dogs I think, need their daily exercise. It also mentioned that they should be brushed every day and professionally groomed about every six weeks since apparently their coats keep growing and they don't shed.

I'm happy to hear you are thinking of a dog--it's so hard when you lose your good friend, as Prince was, but I am sure you and your dear wife have lots of love to give to whatever good doggie you bring into your lives.
4. NEwxguy
8:52 PM GMT on February 25, 2013
So as my close friends here know,I lost my sheltie in August.Had no desire get another dog at least for a while,but the wife would like a little lap dog so with winter coming to an end we've starting shopping around,she seems to want a Bichon Friese,if anyone has had any experience with these dogs would love to hear your opinion.
3. NEwxguy
5:21 PM GMT on February 25, 2013
Hi,alley,yeh,glad he threw that in,or that would have been embarassing,since Canada a little roll in the whole thing?
Anyway,I still get amazed at when they accept,they have to roll off every name that remotely is connected to the film.Enough already.
Got a chuckle out of the jaws music when they wanted people to wrap it up.
2. Alleyoops
4:44 PM GMT on February 25, 2013
Good morning NEW. I know what you mean about boring Oscars last night. I watched the first 10 min then switched over to The Mentalist, when that finished I then took a quick peek to see who was winning what, then switched over the movie, X-Men II. Got my fix of Hugh Jackman without having to watch the crummy Oscars. Only highlight was at the end when Michelle Obama gave us the winning Picture. She is such a cool lady. Love her. Great charm, wit and of course, so personable. Glad to see Daniel Day Lewis, (an Irishmen) won best actor for his interpretation of Lincoln. Had to chuckle at Ben Affleck when he finally acknowledged and thanked Canada in his speech even if it was an aforethought. LOL

1. NEwxguy
2:34 PM GMT on February 25, 2013
Some ramblings this morning.
1. Watched the Oscars a little last night,but find most of it boring.
I suspect the number one fear of the winners is tripping on your way up to the microphone.Jennifer Lawrence experienced that last night,but she was very cool about it.Good for her.
Always nice to see our local boy Ben win an oscar.Saw the movie and loved it.Very exciting,eventhough you knew the ending.
2.Curt Schilling bloody sock=$96,000
Mike Eruzione's jersy from the olympics win over Russia=$657,000
Can't help but think,that money could have gone to better use.
3.With all the complaining about this months weather,when you think about it,this is normal weather for February,except for the exceptional blizzard.Folks spring is just around the corner.It won't belong before were complaining about all the humidity.

NEwxguy's WunderBlog

About NEwxguy

This blog is for anyone about anything,as long as you are respectful to others.Weather will be the theme,but topics of interest will show up.