First Snowstorm?

By: Levi32 , 5:47 PM GMT on October 28, 2006

Well, I have finally got a chance to write a blog for once! The tropics are winding down, and I don't think any more storms are in the cards for us this year. What a nice break it has been! So, lets turn our attention to my back yard, if you don't mind. :) After our first measurable snow of 1 inch 3 days ago, the temperature stayed cold enough for it to stick, a rare occurance with our first snow. Also, this was the first time we have even seen flakes fly in October for 5 years! For the last 5 years all the seasons have been exceptionally warm, breaking all records, and minimizing snowfall greatly. The last two years we've had no snow for Thanksgiving, and even worried about not having a white Christmas! This year, however, I predicted back in September would be different. Just as I thought our first snow came and stuck in October, and our first real snowstorm is knocking on the west coast of the state as I type. A strong cold front pumping up warm air is bringing rain to the SW part of the state, and that rain will advance eastward throughout the day. The cold air in place at the surface in southcentral will start the precipitation off as snow late tonight, and then possibly changing over to rain tomorrow afternoon. It is different for my house, being 1000 ft up, so our period of rain, if any, will be much shorter. As the low stalls and moves southeastward into the western gulf, cold air on the backside will change any rain back into snow on Monday. Snow advisories are already out for the Sustitna Valley, with 6-12 inches of snow expected. Precipitation is expected to be rain in southcentral, but I have my doubts. If most of the precip does fall in the form of snow, this could be a pretty heavy dump. How much snow will fall? Stay tuned and I shall tell you what happens.

We shall see what happens!

Click for Loop

Alaska/North Pacific Water Vapor Loop

Alaska Visible Satellite Loop

Alaska Visible Loop

Alaska Region Headquarters

North Pacific Surface Analysis

Alaska Surface Obs

Latest South-Central Alaska Weather Discussion

AOOS Alaska Interactive Data Portal

9. aquak9
5:26 AM GMT on October 29, 2006
Levi? are you back with us? So good to see you! Hope you are staying warm!

big hugs from Florida!
8. Levi32
10:18 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
Hi Wansuy, weaver, snowboy, great to see you guys!

Wansuy, want some snow? I could send some down on the polar express lol.

Weaver yes I'm with you there I love snow, and really hope that this winter is truly "Alaskan".

Snow, glad you're expecting some flakes. About time this North American continent gets a break to "cool off".

Thanks for dropping in! Have a great afternoon :)
7. snowboy
9:29 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
greetings Levi32, we are much cooler than normal over here in Canada as well - expecting a few flakes overnight or tomorrow..
6. akweaver
7:44 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
Greetings from Palmer. Ditto on the snow (but no ice) and the temps. Love it! We are so over due for a "normal" winter. Bring on a dump and I shall be one happy Alaskan. Just hope this winter doesn't go wishy-washy like the last few winters. I hate when in rains in the middle of winter!

Keep up the good work on the blog. I appreciate your input.
5. wansuyou
6:18 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
Welcome back Levi. Hmmm...snowstorm...one thing we don't have in florida. lol
4. whitewabit
6:11 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
good to see you back...
3. Levi32
5:56 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
Oh, gosh, my manners are rusty after such a long time lol. Hello wabit nice to see you again! Boy I've been gone a long time.
2. Levi32
5:55 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
They were warm until late September, then they went down hill in a hurry during October. It's 20 degrees right now here! Usually that wouldn't be surprising, but after the last 5 years, it's amazing to have anything near "normal" Alaskan weather lol.
1. whitewabit
5:51 PM GMT on October 28, 2006
what have the temperatures been like this fall???

Tropical Tidbits from the Tundra

About Levi32

Masters student in tropical meteorology at FSU. Raised in Alaskan blizzards, but drawn toward tropical cyclones by their superior PGF.