Weather Underground Takes Over The Weather Channel in New Weeknight Series

By: Jeff Masters , 1:25 PM GMT on July 22, 2015

It's been three years since Weather Underground (WU) became part of The Weather Company (AKA The Weather Channel, TWC). A key goal of mine for the merger--to make both Weather Underground and The Weather Channel better--has shown steady progress over the past few years, and takes an even larger step in that direction beginning on August 24, with the launch of the "Weather Underground" live cable TV show airing weekdays from 6-8 p.m. ET on The Weather Channel. The new show will appeal to everyone’s inner weather geek, featuring unique insights into the science behind weather and forecasting. I flew down to Atlanta last week to tape some segments for the new show, including what should be a pretty amusing series of promos (Part 1 embedded below). TWC is really making an impressive effort on this, complete with a custom set built to look like an underground bar, an original theme song of Seattle-grunge type music, and state-of-the art 3D visual presentations. Both Bob Henson and I will be appearing via Skype (and occasionally live in the studio) during some of the shows, but the show will also tap into the expertise of other severe weather experts, through forecast debates, deep dives into atmospheric science and live storm coverage. Each show will aim to promote a unique feature of the Weather Underground web site, like the latest blog post by Bob or myself, WunderPhotos, or personal weather stations. Breaking weather events will be the main focus, but climate change stories will also be featured.

WU’s unique community of personal weather station owners and fans will play an integral role in the show’s live, interactive experience--fans will be able to submit questions via #WUTV across social media, report current conditions in their area, contribute to the creation of show segments, access behind-the-scenes live-stream video via wunderground.com and participate in weather roundtables live on air.

Video 1. I give Mike Bettes a tough grilling during his interview for host of the new Weather Underground TV show. This is Part 1 of what may be up to an 8-part series.

After a lengthy interview process last week, it was decided that the show would be hosted by Mike Bettes, an Emmy Award-winning meteorologist and storm tracker. You can see part of the interview in the video clip above. Not shown is the part that almost blew it for him (which will be aired in a later installment of this series.) You see, Weather Underground's origin came as an educational project at the University of Michigan, where I was a Ph.D. student in the early 1990s. It turns out that Michigan has a pretty notorious rivalry with a certain Big Ten school based in Columbus, Ohio. Here's the transcript of this portion of the interview:

Me: "Mike, when we launch the show, we want to make sure we've selected a host that's fully qualified for the role. Do you mind if we go over your resume?"

Mike: "Not a problem!"

Me: "It says here that you graduated from Ohio State University."

Mike: "Yes sir. I got my degree in Atmospheric Science from the Ohio State University. Go Bucks!"

Me (skeptically): "Hmmm…and that's an accredited university??"

Mike (incredulously): "Well…yeah, of course!"

Mr. Bettes really did graduate from Ohio State, and has gone on to do some excellent coverage of landfalling hurricanes and severe weather outbreaks since he began working at TWC in 2003--including such events as the 2011 Joplin tornado and the 2013 El Reno tornado. I am very excited to see this new Weather Underground show launch, and think it will be a great dive deep into the science of meteorology for all weather enthusiasts.

Jeff Masters

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9Blog Index

404. Campdoctor
12:53 PM GMT on October 31, 2015
I saw a short snippit of the show for the first time this week ... the topic of "No more calling it an 'Indian' Summer!" was on the Political Correctness hotseat. I would have hoped the origin of the phrase has been researched with a little more depth. Within my family - Mohawk Nation, Bear Clan - the term was used by the very early European settlers to describe a time when the weather allowed continued raiding of settlements into the late fall, before everyone's hunkering down for the winter.
403. biff4ugo
3:05 PM GMT on July 27, 2015
YEA! Don't lose the humor.
402. andycapt
1:26 AM GMT on July 27, 2015
I think it would be a great segment to show the fans like me, who have been talking to you(William) about personal weather stations how exactly to set up and erect a quality weather station and link up to your network. Since I'm broke disabled and can't afford one even a little and I spend my whole day tracking weather for folks to pass my time now, I think it would be super great if you came here to do it. Cape may New Jersey . I would be forever grateful and it would be a great show. Lol I really want one but alas I am unfounded. Thanks for all you do and I had no idea that you had merged with T.W.C.
STANDING BYE!
Capt. Andy
401. intampa
3:56 PM GMT on July 24, 2015
Quoting 395. Jedkins01:

Especially here on the west coast, I've had rain 9 out of the last 11 days, I had 4.01 last Friday from a similar pattern that is predicted here, and 6.98 over the last 10 days. But this is the rainy season, and for much of this rainy season, it was drier than average for a lot of the state, so the rainier pattern over the last week and now into this weekend is more beneficial than harmful.

Yes it may cause some flooding, but Florida is the land of water, whether it be salt water or fresh water from heavy rains. It's quite common to see events with several inches of rain near the gulf coast here, these type of training rain band events off the gulf happen at least a couple times every year I can remember here.
Friends reporting streets in south Tampa starting to flood like they do. Doesn't take much there
400. PCCfan
9:49 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
399. PCCfan
9:45 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
398. PCCfan
9:36 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
397. bdkennedy
9:24 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Anyone remember when the Weather Channel used to report on the weather? Now they have Fat Guys in the Woods.
396. Jesant13
9:12 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
The show sounds interesting to me. I plan on checking it out.
395. Jedkins01
7:18 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 372. fmbill:

Wow! With the ground already saturated in Central Florida from recent rains, this could require some preemptive planning by local officials.

394. griffinm9
5:35 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
I was reading over the "The Discovery of Global Warming" article and I just had a question. I had noticed in the charts also that the climate cooled some from the 40's until the 70's. Is it possible that nuclear testing during this time would be at least a partial explanation? I've heard the term "nuclear winter" bandied about previously and I was just curious of others' thoughts.
393. cRRKampen
4:40 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 384. hydrus:

Good morning Kamp. Your post is interesting. I read that even if we stopped all co2 emissions today it would take decades for noticeable changes in the atmosphere. That is certainly arguable, because we cannot actually pin down just how much the oceans and weather can absorb and scrub out. Regardless of how all this works out, pulling fossil fuels off the grid as much as possible will be beneficial in many ways, even if the steps are small, but the fact is, if we set an example as some countries have done already, more will follow. There is a lot to gain from moving to alternatives. One thing that did occur to me was that if we make strides to do this, we here on Earth may have a surprise, and things could improve faster than expected. I have said here many times, during my travels as a merchant marine, I saw pollution and toxic waste so terrible, i wondered if it was even humanly possible to clean it. This is an abbreviated comment, i wanted to add more but i am swamped.

Thank you. Just... Thank you.
Solar.
392. DCSwithunderscores
3:57 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
New record all-time hottest temperatures are being reported at a few obscure European locations including Schaerding, Austria at 38.2 C / 100.8 F, Ronchi dei Legionari, Italy at 39.2 / 102.6, and Gradisca d'Isonzo, Italy at at least 40.0 C / 104.0 F.
391. AreadersinceWilma
3:48 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 383. Neapolitan:

I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a "scientific high horse", so can't comment on that. But I'll say this: I think it's illogical to cease teaching science to a group of people simply because it's been determined that they don't know enough. And it's silly to claim that people you don't think are doing enough to combat climate change therefore have no right to talk about it. A doctor who smokes, overeats, and drinks too much is still a doctor...

" I think it's illogical to cease teaching science to a group of people simply because it's been determined that they don't know enough."

Of course it's illogical. The key in your statement is that "they don't know enough". The answer and possible solution is "how do you change that?"

"And it's silly to claim that people you don't think are doing enough to combat climate change therefore have no right to talk about it"

I am amazed as to how you reached the conclusion of not having the right to talk about it.
390. AdamReith
3:42 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 317. Naga5000:
Dissenting opinion is good as it provides a learning opportunity. Purposeful misinformation is another story.

Quoting 328. AreadersinceWilma:
How would I know the difference between a "dissenting opinion" and "purposeful misinformation" unless I had the opportunity to read it, research it and understand it ????
Great question.

"Read, research and understand" are requirements if you are going to involve yourself intellectually in climate discussions. If I may, I'd like to offer a good place for any interested reader to begin: The Discovery of Global Warming

When reading the comments of AGW "skeptics," though, you should know that the "Gish Gallop" is a favorite tactic of theirs. They will overload the discussion with spurious assertions requiring detailed, nuanced rebuttals, but move on to some other cherry-picked fact or half-truth while their opponent is still assembling a reply to the first one. It's better if you have seen all their arguments before, since they constantly recycle even the old ones that have been long debunked. Skeptical Science keeps a running list of this stuff.

People have various reasons for reaching an "Aha!" moment about AGW. Mine came when I realized the entire contrarian argument rests on the belief that virtually the entire world of science is working to perpetrate a hoax. Since the data and research are all against them, their last resort is to believe the data is cooked and the research is "pencil whipped," as we say Down South. That implies a conspiracy at least as large as the "Moon landing was fake" one.

It's ridiculous on the face of it, but you will see "skeptics" howling that the data is fraudulently adjusted every time it goes against them, as we see now with the global surface temperature climbing out of the so-called "pause." When the global temperature record looked like it was going flat, they loved it. Now, according to them, it's being faked. That kind of thing is what makes them "deniers."
3:36 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
JeffMasters has created a new entry.
388. kastigar
3:35 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Congratulations! I've been a user of the Weather Underground (starting when it was an .edu text page!) and I'm glad to see it advancing. I don't get to see the show with my off-air rabbit ears but I'm sure it will be worthwhile.
387. JRRP
3:35 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
386. LargoFl
3:32 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
385. nrtiwlnvragn
3:30 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 378. bobbyscruggs1:

will you be selling the Thunder Cloud shirt he was wearing in the ad?

From WU Facebook

For those of you interested in the t-shirts, we'll be launching a new WU store in coming weeks. Stay tuned for details!

So Brutus will be available
384. hydrus
3:29 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 374. cRRKampen:

Great. Well, let's threaten them with description of future reality. As if the average man on the street could fathom that.
Everything's been tried. 'An Inconvenient Truth' was a great job, but in the end the title is kind of a continuously self fulfilling prophecy.
383. Neapolitan
3:27 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 368. AreadersinceWilma:

Bottom line.....people need to get off their scientific high horse because the average man on the street that is effectively contributing to AGW does not speak scientific.
382. ProphetessofDoom
3:23 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 368. AreadersinceWilma:

I agree wholeheartedly that AGW is a scientific issue but I am not a scientist and of necessity I need to maximize my knowledge in layman's terms. Perhaps you should read some of my previous posts and you would know that I, as a husband, father, grandfather and recently a great grandfather am fanatical about climate change. Add to this that I have family that lives in areas that at one point will be underwater, the Florida Keys, Miami Beach, Corpus Christi, TX and we own a house in Biscayne Gardens, FL.

I want to be able to pass on as much information in easy to understand and absorb as much as I can possibly research. This is not for me, I am 72 and given the best available health information in all likelihood I won't be around for the big show. For instance, I have accomplished getting one son in law out of a 12 mpg vehicle into a Hybrid and working on many other possibilities. I want plain and easy language to pass around.

To be even more candid in addressing your comment about the scientific scope....I posted this before...what are you and others that want to deal in "scientific language" doing to change the ways of the average man on the street? Hyperbole about AGW works well to impress some of the other posters on this blog but how about this...tell us about one, just one fine example of what you personally have done to ameliorate, postpone, delay, prevent...whatever word you prefer that would best apply in this situation re" AGW.

Good morning (or afternoon or evening depending upon your locale) all! I do believe that at least one reason why some people question the accuracy of AGW is a lack of understanding of the vocabulary used. As a teacher, I tried to apply the maxim "keep it simple..." (leaving the last part out in case people get offended!) to any type of teaching situation. Sometimes I think a better way to explain AGW is to explain a situation to which people can better relate. I think of what happens when I use the oven to prepare something. When I turn the oven on, eventually the kitchen will become warmer as well, a result of the heat that is radiating from the oven. The longer I keep the oven on, the larger the effect, as the heat will spread throughout the house. Luckily, once I turn the oven off, the heat will dissipate. Then I take the scenario and apply it on a larger scale. If we consider every single factory and every form of fossil fuel-dependent transportation source as it's own individual oven, and then realize that each source is always on in one part of the world or another, we have to ask ourselves where all of the heat produced by these "ovens" will go. Follow that up with our knowledge that the one function of the Earth's atmosphere is to trap heat in, then, to me, it seems logical that the overall temperature has to increase, and that increase is at least partially human created (a large partial!). Of course, as someone whose field of study in graduate school was research-based, albeit in the field of history, I do find it hard to believe that 97% of any scientific community is that easily corruptible and functions on that high of a level of amorality as well! But that's just me!
381. fmbill
3:13 PM GMT on July 23, 2015

380. Patrap
3:12 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Climate Change Denials That Sound More Like ‘Sharknado 3’ Reviews

Aaron Nemo

If anything makes less sense than the nonsensical collective plots of the 'Sharknado' trilogy, it's the denial of scientific evidence pointing to climate change.

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate change is real and man made (a much higher percentage than 'Sharknado 3' is likely to earn on Rotten Tomatoes). To put the absurdity of these deniers' views into perspective, here are some dissenting elected officials' comments on climate change framed as 'Sharknado 3' movie reviews.

379. fmbill
3:11 PM GMT on July 23, 2015

378. bobbyscruggs1
3:08 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
will you be selling the Thunder Cloud shirt he was wearing in the ad?
377. fmbill
3:08 PM GMT on July 23, 2015

376. Gearsts
3:06 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Even 2013 had something in the MDR
375. Neapolitan
3:06 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 366. JeffMasters:

I expect the new WU show's content will be 99% about weather and 1% about climate change.

Dr. M.
That's about what I both hoped for and expected. After all, the 'W' in TWC stands for weather, not climate, and, fascinating as they subject is, they're not going to lure casual TV viewers with lengthy, deep discussions about climate science.

I look forward to the program...
374. cRRKampen
3:02 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 368. AreadersinceWilma:

373. ncstorm
3:02 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
InTampa,

that particular NAM model only goes out 84 hours..so it isnt showing anything in the Gulf during that timeframe
372. fmbill
3:00 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
371. barbamz
3:00 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 366. JeffMasters:
Dr. M.

Well, those two subjects are merging anyway, I guess. "Weather on steroids" will provide enough "good" stuff for the daily show, I'm sure.
370. ncstorm
2:59 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Last frame..moving north..

369. Gearsts
2:58 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 337. Tazmanian:

look else were if you want activity your not going too see it in the MDR this year
You can't say never when you are talking about the weather.
368. AreadersinceWilma
2:57 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 354. ACSeattle:

AGW is a scientific issue. In order to "understand it" in the deepest sense, one would need a strong background in atmospheric science, which most of us don't have. For those of us who are not atmospheric scientists, the wisest approach is to listen to those who are, and these people are getting hoarse from trying to warn us about what is happening and what is going to happen. Questioning the overwhelming consensus of
atmospheric scientists about AGW makes as much sense as questioning the consensus of medical professionals concerning vaccinations. Contrary to what some who post on here suggest, climate scientists are not a pack of money grubbing, wild-eyed leftists trying to score
gub'mint grants.

367. ncstorm
2:49 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
I will definitely watch then!!

366. Dr. Jeff Masters , Director of Meteorology (Admin)
2:46 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 338. K8eCane:

And for those looking forward to the new WC show, as I am, I didnt see Dr Masters say that the whole show will be on global warming. There is always room for some plain old weather without the political spins. Go ahead and vote me off the blog bloggers. If you do, then i dont need to be here because thats what i have to say about it and i AM entitled to my opinion.

Dr. M.
365. intampa
2:45 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 363. ncstorm:

57 hours
does this mean the gulf low is a nogo
364. Torito
2:45 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
I expected that this system was a tropical storm this morning when I woke up to go to college.. Nice to see that it is one. It seems to be holding up fairly well despite the shear messing with the system from the north west.. Good for now, but how long will it last? Water temperatures are going to get too cold to allow the system to hold together fairly soon...

(Yes, I know this SST chart is 2 days old. Should still be "accurate enough" to get a general idea of temperatures..)

363. ncstorm
2:42 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
57 hours
362. Torito
2:38 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
At 900 AM MDT (1500 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Felicia was
located near latitude 19.1 North, longitude 114.9 West. Felicia is
moving toward the northwest near 13 mph (20 km/h). A turn toward
the west-northwest is forecast by Friday night.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 40 mph (65 km/h) with
higher gusts. Little change in strength is expected during the
next 24 hours. Weakening is forecast to commence Friday night, and
Felicia is likely to become a remnant low on Saturday.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km)
from the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1004 mb (29.65 inches).

Conventional satellite imagery and a couple of recent microwave
overpasses show that spiral banding has improved during the past
several hours, particularly over the eastern and southern portions
of the cyclone. Dvorak intensity estimates from both TAFB and SAB
are T2.5/35 kt, supporting an upgrade of the system to a tropical
storm. Although Felicia has about 24 hours or so before
moving over cooler water and into a more stable environment,
persistent northerly shear should impede any significant
strengthening. The statistical-dynamical intensity guidance all
show Felicia weakening to a remnant low in 48 hours, and this is
reflected in the official forecast. Global models subsequently
indicate the cyclone dissipating or opening up into a trough in 4
days or less.

The initial motion is estimated to be 320/11. Felicia is forecast
to continue moving northwestward within the mid-level flow on the
southwestern side of the subtropical ridge during the next 24-36
hours. Afterward, the dynamical models show Felicia gradually
turning westward as the system degenerates into a remnant low and is
steered by the low-level tradewind flow. The NHC forecast is
basically an update of the first advisory, and closely follows the
GFEX and TVCN multi-model consensus forecasts.
361. ncstorm
2:37 PM GMT on July 23, 2015

360. HurricaneAndre
2:34 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
We got Felicia
EAST PACIFIC SHIPS INTENSITY FORECAST *
* IR SAT DATA AVAILABLE, OHC AVAILABLE *
* SEVEN EP072015 07/23/15 12 UTC *

TIME (HR) 0 6 12 18 24 36 48 60 72 84 96 108 120
V (KT) NO LAND 35 35 34 33 32 26 20 DIS DIS DIS DIS DIS DIS
359. CaribBoy
2:32 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 302. rmbjoe1954:

It is apparent that the ITZ is all lit up but nothing of consequence to form. Hopefully it will give the islands much needed rain.

Trinidad and Tobago, and soutern Windwards only...
358. Climate175
2:31 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
357. Climate175
2:30 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
356. tampabaymatt
2:25 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
355. WaterWitch11
2:24 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
great video...thanks for the smile dr masters
354. ACSeattle
2:22 PM GMT on July 23, 2015
Quoting 328. AreadersinceWilma:

gub'mint grants.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9Blog Index

Category 6™

About

Cat 6 lead authors: WU cofounder Dr. Jeff Masters (right), who flew w/NOAA Hurricane Hunters 1986-1990, & WU meteorologist Bob Henson, @bhensonweather

JeffMasters's Recent Photos