Australia has its warmest summer on record

By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 3:34 PM GMT on March 01, 2013

The historic summer of 2012 - 2013 is now in the books in Australia as the hottest summer on record, beating the previous mark set in 1997 - 1998 by more than 0.1°C. Australia also roasted through its hottest month on record this summer, with January 2013 topping out as Australia's warmest month since record keeping began in 1910. The oceans surrounding Australia were at their second warmest levels on record during January, contributing to the exceptional heat over the nation. The summer heat peaked during a remarkably long and widespread heatwave in late December and the first half of January, when fourteen of the 112 sites used by the Bureau of Meteorology for long-term monitoring had their hottest day on record. Sydney's 45.8°C (114.4°F) on January 18 and Hobart's 41.8°C (107.2°F) on January 4 were among the places which set new records. The highest temperature during the heatwave was 49.6°C (121.3°F) at Moomba in the far northeast of South Australia--Australia’s highest temperature since 1998. The extreme Australian heat helped push the average land temperature over the entire Southern Hemisphere to its warmest value on record during both December 2012 and January 2013. Many parts of southern Africa also had their warmest January on record.

Figure 1. Devastating wildfires swept through many areas of Australia during January 2013, the nation's hottest month on record. In this photo provided by the New South Wales Rural Fire Service, a wildfire near Deans Gap, Australia, crosses the Princes Highway Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013. (AP Photo/NSW Rural Fire Service, James Morris)

Record heat without an El Niño: an unusual occurrence
What's notable about the new summer heat record is that is occurred during a “neutral” period in the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (there was neither a La Niña nor El Niño event present.) El Niño conditions add an extra natural bump to temperatures over Australia, and it is difficult to set all-time heat records unless there's an El Niño present. Before 2013, the hottest three summers on record in Australia occurred during El Niño years. Breaking an all-time hottest month and hottest summer record during a non-El Niño year is the type of event that would be difficult to have in Australia without a warming climate.

Figure 2. The departure of temperature from average for Australia from 1910 - 2013 shows that summer temperatures have warmed by about 0.8°C (1.4°F.) Most of this warming has occurred since 1950. Image credit: Australian Bureau of Meteorology.

Global warming expected to make the summer of 2012 - 2013 seem cool by late this century
According to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, "the most significant thing about all of these extremes is they fit with a well established trend in Australia--it’s getting hotter, and record heat is happening more often. Six of Australia’s ten hottest summers on record have come in the last eleven years, meaning that very hot summers have been occurring at about five times the rate you would expect without a warming trend. In the last decade, record high temperatures have outnumbered record low temperatures in Australia by a ratio of about three to one. About a third of the all-time record high temperatures at the Bureau’s long-term stations have occurred since 2000…Australia has warmed by nearly a degree Celsius since 1910. This is consistent with warming observed in the global atmosphere and oceans. And it’s going to keep getting hotter. Over the next century, the world will likely warm by a further 2 to 5 degrees, depending on the amount of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere. Under mid-to-high emissions scenarios, summers like this one will likely become average in 40 years time. By the end of the 21st century, the record summer of 2013 will likely sit at the very cooler end of normal."

Jeff Masters

Fire About to go Out (kgb007)
After Adelaides fourth hottest day on record reached a scorching 45c, 113F! We were treated to this fiery sunset, rather appropriate!
Fire About to go Out

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19Blog Index

944. Andrebrooks
6:27 PM GMT on March 29, 2013
That last comment that I sent was for the hurricane season.
943. Andrebrooks
6:25 PM GMT on March 29, 2013
What do you think this season going to be like follow my blog or go to my website Link
942. Andrebrooks
6:24 PM GMT on March 29, 2013
I this going to be an active hurricane season.
941. VR46L
4:19 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting PedleyCA:

Goldilocks Temps.

New Blog Ped ....Maybe you want the last word...
940. PedleyCA
4:17 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting GeoffreyWPB:
Nice week coming up for West Palm Beach...

Goldilocks Temps.
939. TropicalAnalystwx13
4:14 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting GeorgiaStormz:

Nope, some residents are mad winter wont go away.....
Crying that it wont stop snowing now.

Potentially, but those residents don't live in Chicago.
938. MahFL
4:10 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
It was 31 F in Orange Park when I left the house at 5:25 am.
937. GeorgiaStormz
4:04 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
GFS is still set on boston snow...even bigger than DC snow, although most snow is west of DC, they still get a ton.

We'll have to see if the ECMWF agrees.
936. PedleyCA
4:03 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting pcola57:
Good Morning All..
Chilly 34 right now..
Frost all around me..

"The Sun, the Sun is a-rising,
Most Definitely".. :)

GROOVEY
935. Neapolitan
3:55 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting GeorgiaStormz:
A brief statement on Global climate

By Kirk Mellish

It was I think 2007 that I gave my first public views on "Global warming, climate and greenhouse gases". We at WSB Radio and Neal Boortz gave it a lot of attention on the radio and in my blog here at wsbradio.com. Unfortunately, when the station migrated to new servers they did not transfer my report over. Ah, the corporate world. Anyway, that full report became some 28 pages long. Ya see the real world is more complicated than talking heads want you to think. Certainly atmospheric physics does not lend itself to bumper sticker slogans, talking points or sound bytes by politicians or talk show hosts.
I have neither the time nor resources to start over, and my job is daily weather forecasting 24/7, not climate or politics. So if you missed the full report when I posted it or my short version on the radio I am sorry. My thoughts are informed by my degree in meteorology and 37 years of reading actual published and vetted science journals.

Here is a "down and dirty" version of my thoughts, remember this is distilled from the 28 page report so it is over simplified and I leave out the hard science specifics to make it easy on the laymen.
Know this...there are scientists I know and respect with better credentials than mine, on both sides of this issue. There are some good people on both sides. This is part of the reason I keep and open mind, I think all smart people do that about everything, and the scientific method... in which I've been trained... demands it!

In view of the warm US 2012 and the recent record warm January Thaw I've been getting asked a lot about it again, so here%u2019s my SEVERELY shortened view:

First. the globe has warmed in the period referenced. And we cannot blame bad instruments or sites or many of the other excuses offered, because the evidence of warming is NOT restricted to temperature data from ground instruments or satellites. For example, data comes from corals, mountain tops, tree rings, ice cores, deep ocean cores, air chemistry, rock chemistry, deep earth cores etc. all over the globe, and notably birds, animals, plants, diseases, insects etc. planet wide, ALL have changed consistent with a warming planet.

2. This does not mean the warming has to or will continue forever or is entirely our fault.

3. The planet has warmed and cooled in the past hot periods and ice ages before industrialization and all scientists are aware of that and take it into account.

4. No there never was a scientific consensus in the 60s or 70s that the globe was cooling and the next ice age started; those were typical misleading mainstream media headlines.

5. I do not think we have all the answers with regard to the cause.

6. It could be man, or natural or both. There is an overwhelming scientific consensus that the planet is warming and anthropogenic CO2 based, but consensus does not equal guaranteed correct or certainty, and consensus in science does not mean settled.

7. There are alarmists, extremists and hucksters pushing agendas on both sides. Both sides have funding and political agendas. Yet there are plenty of good and honest people on both sides.

8. There is big money to be made OR lost by advocating both sides not just one, hence point 7 above.

9. I don't think we have enough knowledge or understanding to correctly project the long-term future of it, the amount or timing of warming or its affects/impacts on other things. Even the many IPCC reports give wide ranges on all these not absolutes.

10. Greenhouses gases are real and do warm the planet, without them the planet would be uninhabitable so UP TO A POINT they are good and necessary.

11. There are things we can and should do that will slow or reverse it, IF it is unnatural CO2 based, that are GOOD to do for other reasons/benefits EVEN if it is NOT man-made.

12. Because of the uncertainty I only support these and not more expensive and elaborate ideas proposed by some, there are risks of the law of unintended consequences.

13. And likewise because of the uncertainty and the potential threat I don't support doing nothing, wishing it away or crossing our fingers.

14. For the same reason I don't support going all in or all out to stop or reverse it, especially not unilaterally and not with risky and costly schemes like geo-engineering.

15. The efforts that are made MUST be global, the US cannot do it alone because among other reasons it would not work since the warming and CO2 is global not just U.S.

16. We've worked through difficult and complex things before and we can do so again, because this is America and we are Americans dammit.

Again, this is out of 28 pages so understand I am not even trying to cover all pro and con points here.
1) Good.

2) No, it doesn't. But then again, it doesn't need to; there are mountains of other evidence that do that.

3) And...?

4) Correct.

5) No one says we do. But that doesn't mean "we" know nothing.

6) Consensus in science doesn't mean "settled". But what it does mean is "the overwhelming preponderance of evidence says that the planet is warming due to man's activities. And there remains not a single viable alternative theory."

7) Possibly. But only the "alarmists, extremists and hucksters" on one side have science backing them up; the other has nothing but ideological wishful thinking.

8) The top 5 oil companies alone earn over $100 billion dollars in profit each year. That amount dwarfs any and every bit of money to be made or lost by the supporters side.

9) He's entitles to his opinion, but, again, it carries no scientific weight, and he is derinitely swimming again the tide of evidence in staking such a claim.

10) Sure. And UP TO A POINT, water is good and necessary. But that doesn't mean people don't drown in it.

11) This is a point of view shared by many.

12) He's free to support what he wishes, but even should the climate change at the low end of "uncertainty", doing only the inexpensive and easy ideas will prove futile.

13) I'll buy that.

14) Half-measures do no good.

15) Of course. But we can only control our own behaviors; avoiding doing the right thing just because others choose not to do so is a behavior most people outgrow during high school.

16) We Americans have worked through complex issues. But otehr complex and difficult issues are swept under the rug, and left to fester for decades.
3:44 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
JeffMasters has created a new entry.
933. wunderkidcayman
3:37 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Good Morning
932. Jedkins01
3:34 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting StormTrackerScott:
I remember growing up and we wouldn't hit 80 until February but over the last 10 to 15 years it does seem that overall our winters in FL are becoming obsolete.

Not entirely? Need I remind us of our tendency to have short memories of such things. We didn't even hit 60 for weeks at one point in the winter of 2010 and had nights below freezing for near a week. The winter ended up being as cold as an average winter in Kentucky.

There have been other winters with plenty of cold air as well. This is probably the warmest winter I've seen since living here in the mid 90's.

However, climate change in the long term would tend to mean more extremes for us but overall warmer averages globally including Florida. We'll see what happens with Florida the next 30 years. This winter seems indicative of that actually. Mostly warm but then a period of very cold weather misplaced as we head into spring.

Also, I've spent my life studying Florida climate and mesoscale meteorology meteorology of Florida. Based on current expectation of climate change, I would expect Florida's dry seasons to become warmer and drier while our summers should favor an increase in hot, humid days along with more extreme rain events and overall more significant rainy seasons.

Essentially, more in the direction of a monsoon tropical climate, extremely wet periods and extremely dry periods.

Of course, I could be wrong, time will tell, but that's my take on it.

931. VR46L
3:31 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting WunderGirl12:
Check this out

That is actually very Cool... Thanks !!
930. WunderGirl12
3:28 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Check this out
929. WxGeekVA
3:27 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
I like this SREF mean at IAD!

928. washingtonian115
3:27 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
The January 2011 storm is still fresh in the minds of people here.Luckily the real trouble won't begin until about 1:00 am Wenseday morning.I don't think no one is going anywhere by 8:00.lol.D.C was voted the number one place for rude/bad drivers.And if you lived here daily then you'll see why.
927. WunderGirl12
3:26 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting AussieStorm:
Is the blog dead, no one has commented for 6 minutes. Where is everyone.
LOL I kids
Goodnight all, Stay warm, Stay safe.

Night Aussie!! :-)

I know why no one is commenting...
WE ARE ALL BUSY....
LOL
926. Grothar
3:24 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
925. GeorgiaStormz
3:22 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
American Red Cross Tornado App

Get your family and home ready for a tornado with the official Tornado App from the American Red Cross. The Tornado app puts everything you need to know prepare for a tornado – and all that comes with it – in the palm of your hand. With interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to be ready.

From your mobile phone, call "**REDCROSS" (**73327677) and we will send you a link to download the app to your phone or you can download them directly from the iTunes or Google Play app stores.
924. AussieStorm
3:19 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Is the blog dead, no one has commented for 6 minutes. Where is everyone.
LOL I kids
Goodnight all, Stay warm, Stay safe.
923. Grothar
3:19 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
922. GeorgiaStormz
3:17 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
The moment of truth:
921. GeorgiaStormz
3:13 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
A brief statement on Global climate

By Kirk Mellish

5. I do not think we have all the answers with regard to the cause.

920. AussieStorm
3:12 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting Tazmanian:

they are all off at work or takeing there kids to school we have a life we all can this stay on the blog this for you we are all off doing other things in life has there is other things in life then this old blog if your looking for some one too talk too 24hrs a day 7 days a week why not you go find other blog or fourm too go on

i find it vary annyouing when you say where is evere one you no vary well this is a monday and evere one is off too work or takeing there kids too school right now or off takeing care of other things like bills

Dude.... get a life. LOL
919. washingtonian115
3:05 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting Luisport:
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

12z GFS will be out in hour for storm period. Total liquid QPF for 00z, 06z runs consistently around 2'' max for DC Link
I'm not liking this.It's not like the temps will be in it's upper 30's to near 40's to allow slow melting.Instead they will jump and continue to rise almost hitting 60.As I mentioned before the ground is saturated already.I hope this isn't no january 1996 repeat!.
918. washingtonian115
2:59 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting Tazmanian:

Calm down Taz.How is aksing "Where is everyone"? annoying.And how am I on this blog looking for someone to talk to 24 hours a day?.The only reason why I'm on here now is because a life threatning storm is coming to my area.You seriously need to chill.

You are right people DO have other things to do just as well as I do to.I have a life outside of this blog.So for you to come at me like that is very childish and immature.Stop policing the blog and find somethign else to do since you and everyone else have a life outisde the blog.

917. Luisport
2:55 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

916. Luisport
2:52 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Ryan Maue‏@RyanMaue

NAM 12z actual snow depth gradient very close to DC meaning the 0'' line isn't much further south.
Link
915. Tazmanian
2:50 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting washingtonian115:
Where is everyone?.Gorgiastormz is barely keeping the blog alive?.

914. 1900hurricane
2:43 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
The GFS shows currently that the upcoming storm for the northeast will be more of a traditional occlusion rather than a warm seclusion with a core that never quite gets warm

913. pcola57
2:38 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Coldest I cold find in the state (Florida) from NWS @ 5am..

OCALA CLEAR 27 23 86 CALM 30.16S
TALLAHASSEE CLEAR 28 24 85 CALM 30.17S
PERRY N/A 29 25 85 CALM 30.17F
CROSS CITY N/A 28 24 85 CALM 30.17S
GAINESVILLE CLEAR 29 25 85 W5
CRYSTAL RIVER FAIR 28 27 93 CALM 30.17S
INVERNESS FAIR 28 28 100 CALM 30.17S
912. washingtonian115
2:32 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting pcola57:
Alot of dry air presently in the Mid Atlantic and New England states right now..
Precipitable moisture may play a big part in snowfall accumulations..
Doesn't look like the storm will have a whole lot of moisture to play with at this time..
Yes.I put lotion on my face and stood outsie for about 10 minutes.It felt like all the moisture was zapped from my face.The cold + wind really isn't helping wither.
911. lilElla
2:32 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting FunnelVortex:
Im under a winter weather advisory.

Just hope it doesn't become a winter storm warning, I think I've had enough for this year.

And 130 miles to your south, we are under a winter storm warning, expecting 9 - 12 inches wet, heavy snow. I would rather see it now, than in late March/April..... The Sandhill Cranes and Turkey Vultures that have returned are going to have a rough few days until it starts warming back up toward the end of the week.
910. GeorgiaStormz
2:31 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting pcola57:
Precipitable moisture may play a big part in snowfall accumulations..

that could lead to synoptic cooling.
But im not really sure if the dry air stays...

a noreaster should pull tons of moisture off the sea.
909. washingtonian115
2:29 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Just so you know it is really windy outside today.
I give today a 10/10 for bad hair day.lol.
908. pcola57
2:29 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Precipitable moisture may play a big part in snowfall accumulations..
907. ozelloslim
2:28 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
We were 25 to 26 for over 6 hours last night. I'm convinced we are the coldest area in Fla. just west of Ocala. Anybody seen any colder in Fl.?
906. pcola57
2:24 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
NAM 00Z 5 panel Ananylsis..

905. pcola57
2:22 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
GFS 00Z 5 panel Anaylisis..

904. washingtonian115
2:20 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Where is everyone?.Gorgiastormz is barely keeping the blog alive?.
903. GeorgiaStormz
2:18 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
GFS also says cold shot for mid march:

902. GeorgiaStormz
2:13 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
No surface warmth:
901. GeorgiaStormz
2:12 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
NAM clips MA as well, but brings much less snow to DC and boston. 4" for DC and maybe 4-6 for boston but the run ends.
900. washingtonian115
2:12 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Strange..as some forecast are showing D.C with 1-3 inches of snow while others are showing 6-9" on snow in the city is possible.
899. kwgirl
2:11 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Good morning everyone. I awoke to a cool crisp sunny morning here in the Keys. The temp at the top of the page says we are 59 degrees. Almost cool enough to put on socks. I saw an interesting tidbit in our local newspaper this weekend. Someone had mentioned, in the voice, that the mangoe trees are already blossoming, in fact some have fruit. Way out of season. Then someone commented a day or two later that we need to ask anyone who lived in 1935 about early fruiting mangoes and the incidence of the 1935 Hurricane. I don't know if there is a correlation or just a superstition. The Conch's always look to nature for storm predictions. We do keep a weather eye out to the south each year. We look forward to the hurricane season with a dab of anticipation and a large serving of dread. Everyone have a good day.
898. StormTrackerScott
2:10 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting GeorgiaStormz:

Nope, some residents are mad winter wont go away.....
Crying that it wont stop snowing now.

Yup, and long range forecast keep the core of the cold air across the upper midwest as a trough sets up acrosss the Plains and just sits in place for 7 to 10 days.
897. pcola57
2:10 PM GMT on March 04, 2013

896. GeorgiaStormz
2:09 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
I see the GFS is set on boston not escaping this now....

8-12 inches for DC, and 8-20 inches for MA/CT/RI...

go GFS....verify.
895. MahFL
2:08 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting yonzabam:

I seriously doubt the citizens of Chicago will be happy about getting 6"-9" of snow. They're not Florida Wunderbloggers.

That said, Illinois farmers and others affected by the drought, will be glad of it.

9 inches of snow is a light dusting for Chicago.
894. GeorgiaStormz
2:04 PM GMT on March 04, 2013
Quoting TropicalAnalystwx13:
Chicago, Illinois was placed under a Winter Storm Warning a while ago. The city is expecting 6-9", with locally higher amounts. Residents there should be happy to get a big accumulating event.

Nope, some residents are mad winter wont go away.....
Crying that it wont stop snowing now.

Category 6™

About

Cat 6 lead authors: WU cofounder Dr. Jeff Masters (right), who flew w/NOAA Hurricane Hunters 1986-1990, & WU meteorologist Bob Henson, @bhensonweather