Beta is gone

By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 2:57 PM GMT on October 31, 2005

The heavy rains have ended in Nicaragua and Honduras. Hurricane Beta is no more, reduced by Nicaragua's high mountains to a remnant swirl of low clouds over El Salvador.
Beta's passage over Nicaragua dropped rains of up to ten inches in some areas; the highest precipitation amounts reported by official measuring sites were 9.5 inches at Chinandega in western Nicaragua and 6 inches at Rio Sulaco in the mountains of Honduras. Up to 120 houses were reported destroyed in coastal Nicaragua where Beta made landfall, and flooding in the Honduran fishing town of Iriona caused residents climbed to climb onto the roofs of their homes to escape the high waters. No deaths have been reported in either country, and it appears that Beta was too small to trigger the heavy rains required to cause a major disaster. The National Hurricane Center will probably not have to retire Beta's name from the list of Atlantic hurricanes.

Beta's remains will emerge out over the Pacific today, and may re-intensify into a tropical storm. However, any storm that might form is expected to move quickly away from Central America, and no heavy rains or high winds will affect land areas from this system.

Elsewhere in the tropics
A tropical disturbance located about 200 miles south of Puerto Rico is suffering significant wind shear from an upper-level low pressure system near Haiti. This shear will prevent any development from occurring today. On Tuesday, this upper-level low is expected to weaken, and some development of the disturbance is possible as it continues west towards Hispanolia and Cuba.

Some remnants of Hurricane Beta's moisture remain in the southwest Caribbean just north of Honduras, and this area may have to be watched later in week for possible development.

I'll be back with an update Tuesday morning.

Jeff Masters

Hurricane Wilma in Stuart (Scorbic)
Want to go for a swim?
Hurricane Wilma in Stuart
Hurricane Wilma, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (jorick)
Roof debris on Oakland Park Blvd.
Hurricane Wilma, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

77. OGal
1:12 PM GMT on November 02, 2005
Ya know it amazes me. I lived in Sarasota for nineteen years. People are still buying beach properties for 1-10 million dollars. Siesta Key and Longboat ,if hit by a Cat 2 storm would be almost totaled. People are still coming from all over the world. Maybe they have not heard the message from the hurricanes that have hit Florida in the past two years. Let's hope we are at the end of a very long season. So what do we do for next year?? I guess we just wait.
76. oriondarkwood
2:15 PM GMT on November 01, 2005
Mousey,

Sorry about the mobile homes, as far as Hurricane Wilma she defied all normal conventions about hurricanes from beginning to end. In short the experts where stumped.

But yea I think people are going to start really rethinking coming or staying in Florida or the Gulf Coast after this year and last
75. Hecker
1:57 PM GMT on November 01, 2005
A hint of surface circulation north of Panama?
74. jorick
1:34 PM GMT on November 01, 2005
Mousey, sorry to hear what happened to your mobile home.

I have the ultimate in mobile homes, a 15 foot travel trailer. My latest contract is in Ft. Lauderdale, so I took my trailer down from my permanent home in NH and parked it in an RV park. Every time a hurricane comes my way I evacuate to relatives in Orlando. However, for Wilma, I went back home to NH to see the wife and kids because the RV park has no power, water, or sewer (pictures of what's left of the RV park are featured in this blog post above). Every day I call the company and see if I get someone on the other end. When I do, I'll head back down to Florida.

2005 is a really messed up year for hurricanes. Into the Greek alphabet already and still the chance for more storms. Sheesh!
73. jorick
1:24 PM GMT on November 01, 2005
...I had President Bush come to the door today in a very appropriate hurricane costume...he's always blowin' hot air and he's an expert in spin...
72. OGal
12:00 PM GMT on November 01, 2005
Have you guys discovered rolled roofing. This is what we counted on until we finally got our roof fixed last November. Our major roof damage was done by Charley August 13th. We finally got our new roof in November two days before Thanksgiving. My husband and a couple of our neighbors put the rolled roofing on our roof and we stayed almost dry. The roofing held through Frances and Jeanne.
71. billsfaninsofla
2:06 AM GMT on November 01, 2005
yep, no news from Coconut, Turtkle, Sngalla.. and others... no power here in Fort Lauderdale..and dealing with majjor roof damage.... supposed to rain tomorrow and Wednesday, this may be my last post depending on what happens to roof
70. Trouper415
1:59 AM GMT on November 01, 2005
Does the disturbance off Hispaniola have a chance at hitting the US? Please let me know, thanks.
69. mouseybabe
1:34 AM GMT on November 01, 2005
Well, I did something really stupid. I took the advice of the experts who said Wilma wouldn't be too bad. That means I stayed in my mobile home in Boynton Beach, where we got slammed with the eye. I will never make that mistake again. I plan to be outta this place before next hurricane season, and I will ALWAYS leave when a storm of any size or strength is headed my way. Mobile home is now sliding off its blocks, both cars are damaged (one not drivable) and we are eating Red Cross meals. Thank God the power came back on last night! Sorry to put a damper on the Halloween chat, but we here are just glad to be alive. We are grabbing kids in the neighborhood (most of whom have no costumes) and forcing candy on them ... LOL.

Warily and wearily watching that thing off Hispaniola and praying for a break...

mouseybabe
68. tripleb
11:56 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Halloween Werid and Wacky Questions

1. What halloween costume would you like to be in real life?
A. A mirror in the Playboy Mansion.

2. Have you ever seen a costume (or a wearer of a costume) that was just wrong?
A. Rosanne Barr wearing her "everyday" costume.

3. Ever OD'ed on candy?
A. They just don't make enough to OD on.

4. Would you rather be a vampire with dentures or a werewolf with fleas?
A. Werewolf ..... being a Vampire just plain sucks!

5. Are you a tricker or a treater?
A. A little of both.
67. TampaSteve
11:43 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
lol dcw
66. dcw
10:58 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
BLOBS OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE CAT 5

In a stunning sequel from Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp, our swashbuckling heroes find themselves sucked into the only place their swords cannot save them: the inner eyewall of Wilma at peak intensity. The two heroes must use the cannons onboard ship to seed the clouds and cause an eyewall replacement, but is there time? A story of action, suspence, and unrealistic science, don't miss it for the world. 9/10
65. ProgressivePulse
9:59 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Where do I join the fight caneman? Ha Ha.
64. caneman
9:57 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Death to all Carribean blobs. This year, its not "Pirates of the Carribean" but rather "Blobs of the Carribean".
63. weatherspirit
8:02 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
4. (cont. again...) eh, maybe a vampyre would be more fun, would hate to clean the dentures though...
62. weatherspirit
7:56 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
4. (cont.) or a flea collar...
61. weatherspirit
7:54 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Oh yeah, answers...

1. would love to be darth Vader, (OHHH, BERRRR)
2. None that I can remember
3. Never had that much of a sweet tooth. Would always get a tummyache...
4. Sorry, werewolf with fleas. Would like to be free like that forever... Hopefully I'll find someone with FleaGuard or something;-)
5. I'd rather treat...
60. oriondarkwood
7:49 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
1. What halloween costume would you like to be in real life?
Bill Gates

2. Have you ever seen a costume (or a wearer of a costume) that was just wrong?
Yes it was a preacher with a alter boy plastered to the crotch area..

3. Ever OD'ed on candy?
One Day I will

4. Would you rather be a vampire with dentures or a werewolf with fleas?
Vampire, vamps seem to get more women than werewolves

5. Are you a tricker or a treater? Both
59. Skyepony
7:49 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
This is weather technoligy fun here. Scoll all the way down then second from top "AMSU product #4 cloud liquid water" ~hit that~ once you take in that, make the loop faster.
58. weatherspirit
7:48 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
hey Skyepony,

Looks like it's spinning into the ULL and acquiring tropical characteristics. Vince did the same all the way near Portugal. It's already bigger than Beta was, so whatever it becomes, it'll be a monster. Also, look to the SE a few thousand miles. The tropics are not done yet, unfortunately... Link

As for Beta, looks like two centers of rotation in its remnants. Beta itself looks like its over Honduras moving to the NW. Link Assuming it remains steady, we might see an eventual turn to the north due to the stationary front lifting Northward, and possible regeneration where Wilma blew up at, or it could just dissipate in the mountains. The other circulation is off the coast of Mexico in the Pacific, so not a threat to land. Some of the models are seeing a slght regeneration of the energy with Beta, but nothing to worry about now.
a href="Link" target="_blank">Link
57. mendomama
7:46 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
orion, anwsers to your questions

1. a super villian, at first i thought suer hero but they are too goody tooshoes.Being a villian would be more fun.
2.Not that I can think of.
3.oh yeah.
4.a vampire with dentures,fleas just suck
5.a little bit of both
56. weatherdude65
7:41 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
1. I would love to wear for real the costume of a millionare

2. Yes I have seen a wearer of a costume that was just wrong.....I am still in counceling over it.

3. Not since I was a kid....thankfully

4. Vampire with dentures.....hate to scratch all the time, plus those coffins look pretty comfy lol

5. A little bit of a tricker and a little bit of a treater.
55. Skyepony
7:23 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
I hadn't heard any from Coconutcreek, storm can play havic on your computer. Last year not only lack of power, some how Jeanne crashed a hard drive. I was down 6 weeks or so.

Checked out a wind map
54. oriondarkwood
7:23 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Halloween Werid and Wacky Questions

1. What halloween costume would you like to be in real life?

2. Have you ever seen a costume (or a wearer of a costume) that was just wrong?

3. Ever OD'ed on candy?

4. Would you rather be a vampire with dentures or a werewolf with fleas?

5. Are you a tricker or a treater?
53. oriondarkwood
7:12 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
I am back, I am not dead just suddenly my boss decided that I need to transfer my projects and aquired knowledge to someone (something I been bugging him to do for the last 2 weeks, no way in hell I can transfer 10 months of knowledge to someone in 2 days)
52. weatherdude65
7:03 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
21, not much going on today, just working. I have not heard any think about coconutcreek
51. Skyepony
6:58 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Afternoon all:) ~ Checkin out the weather~ Is this what i think it could be? Over the last 24 hrs the blob has caught up to the ull (24hr WV) The covection is really going off as its approachin the center on the ull. I wonder if it warming it's core? (floater) Any thoughts?
50. Pensacola21
6:53 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
I was just looking at the blogs from earlier and I see Palmbeacher is OK, I am so glad... Has anyone heard from CoconutCreek??
49. Pensacola21
6:51 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Not much... Busy this morning - eating lunch now =)

How are ya?
48. weatherdude65
6:48 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
hey 21...what's up?
47. Pensacola21
6:42 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Hey all =)
46. weatherdude65
6:23 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
have a good night stormy! :-)
45. stormydee
6:21 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
cool, you can see who's blogging on their own Link....that must be where everyone is at today....
Anyway, I gotta go cause I have to go get a cleaning at the dentist...and won't have time to blog when I get back.
Have a great night everyone...see ya in here tomorrow!
44. stormydee
6:18 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
2 miles...its actually nice in the morning...but I tried twice this summer and too hot going home, plus theres always the chance of the PM tstorms that we get...now the weather will be more reliable...it is easier to ride my bike; we have a very small parking lot so the customers can't park here...I figure one less vehicle is one more spot for them!
43. weatherdude65
6:14 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
how far do you live from work stormy?
42. stormydee
6:13 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
ya 65, gonna try to ride my bike to work in the morning....hopefully it will hold off till evening
41. ProgressivePulse
6:08 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Lefty is back now stormy, just updated. Nothing to update on right now so all the pics are gone.
40. weatherdude65
6:06 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
stormy....supposed to be wet Tuesday night and Wednesday, rain chance sitting at 80% Wednesday
39. stormydee
5:59 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
bye cg :-)
38. weatherdude65
5:57 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
talk later cg....
37. weatherdude65
5:55 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
up until this month I have not had much time to goof off, but this month our loan volume has dropped, so we have not been as busy
36. cgableshurrycanegal
5:54 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
going back out to clean up the last of the yard debris, b4 it rains... later all!!!
35. cgableshurrycanegal
5:53 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
wish he'd come back. shouldn't have let a couple of trolls run him off.
34. stormydee
5:52 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
I get caught, but then I hurry up and do lots and lots of work so it looks like I was goofing for 5 minutes instead of most of the day....amazing what 6-8 cups of coffee can do to your work load!
33. stormydee
5:50 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
Lefty lurks, he runs his own blog now Link is his link, but he hasn't updated since 10/28.
32. weatherdude65
5:48 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
stormy lol.....I try to do that, but they always catch me lol
31. cgableshurrycanegal
5:48 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
stormy, too funny!!!
has lefty ever come back? I know he started his own blog
30. stormydee
5:47 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
I know if it was my last hours, goofing is what I would do...heck I do that without it being my last hours. LOL
29. cgableshurrycanegal
5:46 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
damn, a post went missing, now what the hay did I say?
28. stormydee
5:46 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
hey cg, ya Orion is unemployed today, so maybe he's acting like his electricity is out now cause he couldn't pay the bill?! LOL (j/k orion :-))
27. cgableshurrycanegal
5:45 PM GMT on October 31, 2005
65, mebbe he's putting in quality time as his last hours???

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

Category 6™

About

Cat 6 lead authors: WU cofounder Dr. Jeff Masters (right), who flew w/NOAA Hurricane Hunters 1986-1990, & WU meteorologist Bob Henson, @bhensonweather