Hurricane season begins

Atlantic Hurricane season officially begins today, Wednesday, June 1, and runs through November 30. This year's season is expected to continue the trend of above-normal activity seen since 1995. Both NOAA and Colorado State Professor Bill Gray's team predict a much more active than usual season. NOAA expects a 70% chance of an above-normal hurricane season, a 20% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. Long-term averages for the number of named storms and hurricanes are 10 and 6, respectively. Bill Gray's team predicts 15 named storms and 8 hurricanes, with a 77% chance of at least one major hurricane (Category 3 or higher) hitting the U.S.

Among the factors expected to cause a more active hurricane season are:

1) The absence of El Niño. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, last year's weak El Niño conditions ended in April 2005, and El Niño conditions are not expected to recur during this year's hurricane season. There is a well-known link between El Niño and Atlantic hurricane activity, with El Niño favoring fewer hurricanes and La Niña favoring more hurricanes.

2) Much warmer than average sea surface temperatures (SSTs). Atlantic SSTs are at their highest in over 50 years, and are close to being the highest on record. This means plenty of high-octane "fuel" for hurricanes.

3) We are in the middle of a multi-decadal period of high Atlantic hurricane activity. Atlantic hurricane seasons have decades-long periods of generally above-normal or below-normal activity. These fluctuations are tied to a complicated set of natural cycles that occur in the winds and ocean currents over the Atlantic. Beginning with 1995 all of the Atlantic hurricane seasons have been above normal, with the exception of two El Niño years (1997 and 2002). This contrasts sharply with the generally below-normal activity observed during the previous 25-year period 1970-1994.

If you live in Florida, it's going to be tough to match last year's hurricane season, though. I compute the odds of at least four hurricances hitting Florida (3 of them major hurricanes) as happened in 2004 as a once in 300 year event. Two years back-to-back like that would happen once every 90,000 years.

Reader Comments

Comments will take a few seconds to appear.

Post Your Comments

Please sign in to post comments.

Sign In or Register Sign In or Register

Not only will you be able to leave comments on this blog, but you'll also have the ability to upload and share your photos in our Wunder Photos section.

Display: 0, 50, 100, 200 Sort: Newest First - Order Posted

Viewing: 6 - 1

Page: 1 — Blog Index

6. littlepaleangel
11:14 PM GMT on July 01, 2005
If you had to give an guess, where would you expect to see hurricanes coming in contact with the USA coastline?

do you think we will see more in the gulf this year or will GA and the Carolinas be seeing some action?

I know you cant say for sure, just curious as to what areas you think might see some problems this year.
5. DiverDan93003
1:19 PM GMT on June 30, 2005
Dr Masters; Would you buy a house anywhere near Pensacola Florida? Or anywhere else on the coast for that matter?
4. fredank
2:59 AM GMT on June 08, 2005
Living here in Central Florida, we hear all the media outlets talking about this year's hurricane season. The impression being left is that we will be facing the same kind of year as we did last year. This is the first I have seen where the odds are put out there for a repeat. Of course, this could be year 89,999.
Has anybody, or can anybody, make a projection as to the placement of the Bermuda High?
3. Dr. Jeff Masters , Director of Meteorology (Admin)
4:00 PM GMT on June 03, 2005
Yes, large areas of higher or lower than normals SSTs can affect the path of the jet stream, and lead to altered storm tracks.
2. kritikal
12:03 AM GMT on June 03, 2005
While it's plain to see how the SST affects the hurricane season, does it at all affect the weather more inland? For instance, does the surface temperature cause irregular or different fronts to move across the mainland?
Member Since: July 8, 2003 Posts: 34 Comments: 15
1. photolet
4:46 PM GMT on June 01, 2005
Very informative. No one leaves comments anywhere very often. Just waiting for my written weather opportunity. Good start!
Member Since: January 17, 2005 Posts: 13 Comments: 0

Viewing: 6 - 1

Page: 1 — Blog Index

Top of Page
Ad Blocker Enabled

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog


Dr. Masters co-founded wunderground in 1995. He flew with the NOAA Hurricane Hunters 1986-1990. Co-blogging with him: Bob Henson, @bhensonweather

JeffMasters's Recent Photos

Grizzlies in Lake Clark National Park
Mount Redoubt Lava Dome
Matanuska Glacier
Icebergs From Columbia Glacier