Spring Equinox

By: JanesVacation , 11:48 AM GMT on March 20, 2009

April 15, 2009

I went walking yesterday afternoon wearing my winter coat, 2 long sleeved shirts and a hooded sweatshirt. Oh yes, I forgot to mention the two pair of gloves - my knit ones under a warmer pair. Hahaha=so this is spring? I guess the "springy" part was that I was carrying my umbrella to shield me from the raindrops.

Warmer, sunnier weather is predicted for the rest of the week. My tulips and daffodils are up 4-5 inches and I saw a few purple violets blooming in a very warm location. Lake Michigan has been calm with this persistent east wind. I still haven't started my fence staining that I intended to begin in March. It is too cold for the stain to dry properly. The garden centers have their brick and board shelves up for garden plants that will be arriving soon. The seed displays and bags of potting soil are ready.

I'm impressed by all of the celestial goings on during the past 12 hours. I was awakened this morning by the lovely crescent moon in the clear skies to the south. It was a beautiful sight to greet us this first day of springtime.

Last night we looked for the Space Station and shuttle orbiting overhead at 8:35PM ESDT. It was magnificent as it arrived right on time in the northwest sky and lasted 3 minutes overhead on its way to the northeast. It was 39 degrees over the horizon which made it very easy to see. We have viewed it several times before. Here is the link to the sightings page:

Link

The shuttle is quite impressive to us space junkies from the 70's. I wanted to be an astronaut when I saw Neil Armstrong land on the moon! I loved science and star gazing at an early age ... too bad I am not so fond of flying.

First day of spring, beautiful crescent moon and an orbiting space shuttle...I am enjoying springtime already! 20F here this morning. I guess the thermometer doesn't know that spring has arrived.

April 05, 2009

This is a big deal for not only MSU, but for the state of Michigan. We haven't had anything to celebrate in a long time!

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

67. shoreacres
12:05 PM GMT on April 17, 2009
No WORK here! Just lovely motel coffee, sunshine, and no rain forecast until tomorrow. That fence painting project sounds pretty good - if I weren't here, I'd be happy to stop by there and give you a hand!
66. 0084PenguinLover
9:43 AM GMT on April 17, 2009
words of warning:

Subject: Medical alert from CDC

The Center for Disease Control has issued a medical alert about a highly contagious, potentially dangerous virus that is transmitted orally, by hand, and even electronically.
This virus is called Weekly Overload Recreational Killer (WORK).
If you receive WORK from your boss, any of your colleagues or anyone else via any means whatsoever - DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! This virus will wipe out your private life entirely. If you should come into contact with WORK you should immediately leave the premises.

Take two good friends to the nearest liquor store and purchase one or both of the antidotes - Work Isolating Neutralizer Extract (WINE) and Bothersome Employer Elimination Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system.

You should immediately forward this medical alert to five friends. If you do not have five friends, you have already been infected and WORK is, sadly, controlling your life.
65. JanesVacation
5:08 PM GMT on April 16, 2009
Spring is trying to come! It is noon and 60F here with a completely blue sky. Michigan is like this...one day 30 and the next it will be 60 or more.

We bought the stain for our pool fence. We will begin today and see how far we get. It feels good to be working outdoors again. We will trim the trees and grass away from the fence and then begin to roll on the stain. I hope we like it! (We decided to start on the back side just in case we don't!)

I had a chance to apply for 2 part time additional jobs the past 2 days! When opportunity knocks...I feel like I should answer. One job would be a library type job at my school. I would be checking out books and reading to the students in grades k-5. sounds like fun, and I am in the building anyway! The current librarian has accepted a new position at the local library and she will be leaving in a week. I'll let you know if I get the job! The other job is for 4 weeks of summer school. I have done it before, but I decided to apply again this year. It is just mornings and 4 days a week. I likely won't know for awhile if I will be needed or not.
64. SBKaren
9:37 PM GMT on April 15, 2009
Janes - sounds like you had a lovely Easter with your family all together! I bet the kids do love being home - ahh the joys of sleeping in - I bet they LOVE that! We have a few sets of twins at our school. Matter of fact I've been tricked at least twice this year by two sets of them. I didn't realize these boys were twins and they arrive at two different times with their classes. I kept calling one by his brothers name and he would always correct me. So then when his brother came in I'd use that name, and then he would correct me. Took me a while but I finally realized they were twin brothers!

My oldest daughter's class (she graduated HS 1994) had at least 8 sets of twins....it was an amazing year! When I was an aide, we had one of 3 triplets. Those kids are in 10th grade now. Oh my, make time stop!

Now I have to agree with you about this week. It was hard getting back into the swing of things, and we have our Pageant production week on top of it. I feel asleep on the couch at 8:30 on Monday night! I was tuckered! I'm tired now too - but at least I'm just sitting. Hopefully the boys will take a good sleep and not wear me out too much later on! My daughter tries to get home about 4ish. We had gorgeous weekend weather and then last night it turned very windy and downright chilly! BUT - expecting summer type weather this weekend....I can't wait!

If it makes you feel better....we have 10 weeks left!
63. sandiquiz
9:01 PM GMT on April 15, 2009
Hi Jane,
Eight weeks of school isn't that long, it will soon go ... here in the UK the poor teachers have to go back until the third week of July which is 14 weeks !!
I am so glad I don't have to do it any more.. life is far more interesting now!! LOL
62. shoreacres
12:17 PM GMT on April 15, 2009
Morning, Jane,

That 46 degrees you have looks a little more springish. I guess it's about time - halfway through April ought to be spring, even for Michigan! Eight weeks of school sounds long, but it'll go in a flash. I can't believe the year is going so fast - almost to hurricane season again!

Have a great day - I'm going to feed everything around here that moves and get on with the day myself.
61. oakland
9:42 PM GMT on April 14, 2009
Jane, thanks for stopping by my place today. The weather station nearest my house says I got 1.33" of rain today. I can believe it. My pond looks really good again.
60. JanesVacation
12:07 PM GMT on April 14, 2009
Cloudy, brisk wind and light rain here this morning. The morning temperature is in the mid 30's with a daytime high of only 45F. Last week we had 5 beautiful, sunny days in a row so I won't complain!

Back to school now. A downward slide to the end of the school year. 8 more short weeks. Lots to be done during this time. The students will be more on task as long as the weather continues like this!
59. oakland
11:39 AM GMT on April 12, 2009

Christian Glitter by www.christianglitter.com

Happy Easter dear friend. May your day be filled with blessings.
58. seflagamma
4:19 PM GMT on April 11, 2009
Hello Jane,

Wishing you and yours...

Easter Glitter Graphics

57. shoreacres
3:21 PM GMT on April 11, 2009
56. PeaceRiverBP
3:19 PM GMT on April 11, 2009
Happy Easter!

~ Beth & Lorne and Sammy & Triton
55. OGal
2:25 PM GMT on April 11, 2009

Jane, hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter weekend. Looks like it will be warm here, with maybe,mybe showers. Son is flying inorder to earn extra money. He hopes to be home the end of the month for the big Sun N Fun Fly In. This is a big deal held every year in Lakeland, Fl.
54. Proserpina
1:23 PM GMT on April 11, 2009

MySpace Graphics
53. JanesVacation
1:09 PM GMT on April 11, 2009

Happy Easter Weekend everyone!

We are enjoying bright sunshine and 50F here this weekend! No snow for the egg hunts this year!
52. sandiquiz
12:32 PM GMT on April 11, 2009

Hi Jane, not seen you around for a few days, hope you are OK...
Just dropping by to wish you and your family a very Happy Easter:)
51. JanesVacation
1:37 PM GMT on April 08, 2009
April 8, 2009
Sunny and 40F already this morning. There is hope that this week's weather will improve!
I had a phone call from my daughter and she has found a last minute flight to come and visit us for the weekend! I am thrilled since I haven't seen her since Christmas. Last Easter she came in a terrible snowstorm and I promised her there will NOT be a repeat of that this year! (It helps that Easter falls considerably later.) Yeay!
50. JanesVacation
12:51 PM GMT on April 07, 2009
April 7, 2009
Cold, windy and dark. It seems like winter. (Minus the snow, thankfully)
49. OGal
11:41 AM GMT on April 07, 2009
So sorry Jane. I guess it was just not MSU's night. North Carolina was a strong, strong team and deserved to win. You made it to the finals, what a great honor. Tonight the women.. UC and Louisville. I think UC will win really big. Oh well great college basketball season. We love tennis, so on to tennis.
48. SBKaren
11:26 PM GMT on April 06, 2009
Jane - our kids like to do a lot of the same things we do - I guess that's from doing it together for so long. They both are very active (running/jogging/exercising), both love to be outside, both love camping, etc. We did do a lot of that while they were growing up so I guess they think that's just what you do! I do so love my grandsons - they are so much fun to be with. I'm heading over to their house tomorrow. They are visiting a local nature center with their Twins Club and it's been so long since I have been that I invited myself along! LOL

I spent the morning with my mom and even went in the pool and jacuzzi - oh that felt so good. I got home and cleaned all three bathrooms, planted some green onions and just finished vacuuming and figured it was time to check email, etc. I think when hubby gets home (pretty soon now) we'll head out for a walk - our weather is in for a change so I like to take advantage of it while it is so nice!

If we really get the rain that's expected, I'll get to more of my chores - I've got quite a list! Some include plans for work, but a lot is house cleaning :(
47. shoreacres
1:47 PM GMT on April 06, 2009
Jane,

Good morning and happy spring break! It's cold and windy here this morning (well, cold... relatively. I think it's about 50). But, it's windy enough I've given myself until about 10 to hit the docks. With these longer days, I can still get a full 8-9 hours in that way, and be a lot more comfortable.

I saw your note about the tulip bulbs somewhere - over at bug's, maybe. Anyway, those danged squirrels will indeed dig up tulip bulbs and cart them away whole. When I was growing up in Iowa, that was the annual battle with the critters. I'll ask mom today what she finally used to protect her "crop". We did have tulips, so she found some way around it. But there was nothing quite like going out in the morning and discovering a whole row of neat little holes where the bulbs had been. Eventually, we caught one in the act, so there's no question that's who was responsible!
46. OGal
1:03 PM GMT on April 06, 2009
Jane, you can be sure that we will be watching. Best of luck to our Big Ten friends!

glitter-graphics.com
45. JanesVacation
12:56 PM GMT on April 06, 2009
Hooray...no snow overnight!! My Mom and Dad live 60 miles away and they had 5 inches. I am so glad that we didn't get it!! (Sorry Mom and Dad!)

Karen, We are very much alike! I plan to do spring cleaning this week. I began on Saturday and since the weather is cold and cloudy...I will continue today. I do the walls, windows, floors and ceilings (with a dust mop). I move the furniture and do underneath. I have some rooms with draperies and I take them down and hang them to blow in the breeze from my deck railing.

I will definitely save time to bundle up and walk each day. I have been walking about 2 miles each day and it feels great! The path is clear and dry, so it is so much better than in the winter! I should take my camera, but it is so cloudy and dreary still. I wished I'd had it with me yesterday when I saw 25 or 30 wild turkeys in the field staring at me!

Oh yes...Go Michigan State!!! We Michiganders need some good news!!! 9PM EST tonight on CBS.
44. SBKaren
2:30 AM GMT on April 06, 2009
Janes - one of the many things on my 'to do' list for spring break is a thorough house cleaning. Way, way overdue - WAY! Every room, every floor, every window....we'll see how much I get done. The surface, for sure, how deep I go depends on the weather! LOL I hope you get enough warm weather to get out for more walks - I'd still love more pictures!
42. OGal
10:59 AM GMT on April 05, 2009
Way to go Michigan State. Now you have to win the Big Dance. So proud that you beat UConn.
41. OGal
1:11 PM GMT on April 04, 2009
Jane, I know Michigan State plays UConn today. UConn beat Purdue, ending our chances at the Big Dance. We will be watching today. Good Luck MSU!! from another Big Tenner.
40. SBKaren
8:46 PM GMT on April 03, 2009
Hi Janes,

Well, now I can join your ranks - officially on spring break! Yaahhhoooo! We were predicted to have sprinkles this morning, and one of the workmen told me that it did quite early this morning - but I think it was more sprinkles from our heavy marine layer. They said that the beaches might not see any clearing today, but guess what? It's clear! That means sun, which always makes me happy :)))

We are also predicted to have some showers Tuesday morning, but I always like to wait and see. I'm hoping to get more pictures on Sunday - that should prove to be a somewhat quiet day!
39. sandiquiz
4:47 PM GMT on April 03, 2009
What a wonderful photo of your butterfly... I run a group on flickr called Birds and wildlife UK, so I have bought a couple of good books to help me identify the photos if the memebrs don't know what they have photographed.

My book says it is a Viceroy, the black line on the bottom wing is missing in the Monarch.

I wish we had them here... I have only seen them in a butterfly sanctuary.

Hope you have a great weekend planned, I am going to be busy, out on Saturday and then visiting Sunday :))

38. OGal
2:02 PM GMT on April 03, 2009
Happy Friday Jane, I really just replaced my old fridg. Same size just black on black instead of white. I also replaced the dishwasher which I think may be 24 years old. Got what I think was a good deal on both. We are emply nesters too and I don't buy alot of stuff in advance. Learned that after losing so much food during the 2004 hurricane season.

Hope spring comes to Michigan real soon. Get ready for lots of sunshine and those oh so cherrished and hunted morels. (My mom's life revolved around the mushroom seasons, fall and spring) I got to know all the wild flowers by name. Have you ever heard of Fairy Shrimp found in woods ponds??)
37. seflagamma
1:38 PM GMT on April 03, 2009
Good morning Jane,

What a nice picture of the butterfly you got yesterday! glad you had a lovely walk.

Just wanted to stop by and say Thanks for the posts and wish you a wonderful Friday!
36. JanesVacation
11:51 PM GMT on April 02, 2009
I saw my first butterfly today! I went for a 2 mile walk in the sunshine on my first day of Spring Break. It was 55 and sunny, a perfect day for just jeans and a sweater. (I had to ditch my coat!) The clouds came in by afternoon and rain is expected overnight and into tomorrow.

My first thought was the butterfly was a monarch, but it is much too early in the season. It wasn't flying like a monarch. I know that a viceroy mimics the monarch. It was fluttering very fast - not the soaring and gliding of a monarch. Whatever it was - it was a welcome sign of spring!
35. SBKaren
8:48 PM GMT on April 01, 2009
Hi Janes - The 5/10K Run is fun, and I only wish we had more time to hang around when we are done (it ends at the pier - with booths and other things to see), but we're going to have to high tail it out of there to get to our other commitments. Weather should be good. It's nice today, expecting about the same tomorrow, and then a slight chance of rain on Friday. Gone by Saturday and just a bit cooler - which is good for a walk/run. Don't want it too hot.

We are predicted to have some possible rain showers our first two days of spring break - so it sure won't be beach weather. Too far out to know what will happen after that, but I'm just hoping for some sun so I can get out in the yard and watch my flowers and veggies grow! LOL

I meant to respond to your earlier comment about Open House. We have a Back to School night in September - when the teachers talk about the year - just for parents, then Open House is in May. Students can invite anyone they want - and just about every classroom has 100% participation. They also host a Taste of Seal Beach right before....restaurants from the area have food portions to try. We went to that first last year and the food was so good. It's actually a fund raiser - but it's nice because it's usually a rushed afternoon for families - getting home - having dinner - heading to school by 6:30. So this way no one has to worry about dinner!

What kind of a PowerPoint Presentation do you show? I want something that the kids can operate - I want the parents to see the value of all this new technology we're obtaining. The school's Wiki is really coming along. Today was the last day for students to input their facts. After spring break I'll show them how to upload graphic images - all under proper copyright law!

I got tricked TWICE!
34. sandiquiz
9:18 AM GMT on April 01, 2009

The White Rabbit is wishing you a a Very Happy April the First!!
33. JanesVacation
11:11 PM GMT on March 31, 2009

32. SBKaren
8:57 PM GMT on March 31, 2009
Hi Janes - I love having grandchildren. I've said many times if I knew how much fun they would be, I would have encouraged her to start much sooner!!! LOL (no - not really - I really tried to refrain from asking her every month...pregnant? are we pregnant?). Our daughter was married nearly 5 years before they had their first. Not sure if our youngest daughter will ever have children, but I've always said....you'd better want them!

We don't have Friday off, but one year we took our spring break the week after Easter and we did get Good Friday off. Smart move because you are right, so many pull their kids out anyway!
31. JanesVacation
12:21 PM GMT on March 31, 2009
Windy, 40F and a bit dreary on this Tuesday morning. Chance of some light rain this afternoon. I walked 2 miles yesterday and it was great! I still need the winter coat, but I wasn't cold while walking.

30. SBKaren
1:57 AM GMT on March 30, 2009
He is just too cute! And I gather about 6 months older than my grandsons! Hope the snow stops and your warm weather returns. Do you guys get Friday off?
29. JanesVacation
7:35 PM GMT on March 29, 2009
28. JanesVacation
7:33 PM GMT on March 29, 2009

I had a fun time with my sister and her little boy this weekend. The sun was out and we could walk without boots.
27. sandiquiz
7:19 PM GMT on March 29, 2009
Glad you have managed to see the ISS and the shuttle. I have now seen them several times.... It gives me a buzz, but I am a child of the 60's and remember staying awake all night to see the first moon launch!!!

Hope the next week is a little warmer for you :))
26. JanesVacation
7:17 PM GMT on March 29, 2009

My nephew is 3 and a half and we had fun walking in the woods on Saturday. There was a bit of snow left, but the sunshine made it nice!
25. GardenGrrl
10:00 AM GMT on March 29, 2009
Hi, great pic of the "deer peeper" :)
24. seflagamma
1:12 PM GMT on March 28, 2009
good morning to you!

I see you have clear sunny skies but still a little too cold! Maybe spring will hurry up and come to stay this year in your area.

Have a great weekend!

Myspace Comments @ 123glitter.com

23. SBKaren
8:51 PM GMT on March 27, 2009
Janes- I hope you have a wonderful weekend visit with your sister. My niece attended Interlochen Arts Academy for four years and now she's a freshman in the Theater Arts Dept. at USC. Her mom LOVED living there- said it was so pretty. I hope you'll share what you did with your sister! I also hope you continue to have good weather so you can get out and walk!
22. seflagamma
1:23 PM GMT on March 27, 2009
Oh my goodness, I think I would freak out with a deer staring into my window at me! What a picture. LOL

and like Karen, when I first saw your beach pictures I thought it was foam; had no idea it was ice until I read the caption closer.

Hope all is well and you are getting ready for weekend!
21. shoreacres
1:45 AM GMT on March 27, 2009
Hi, Jane,

I just saw you're off for a trip tomorrow. I hope the weather holds, and it's just lovely. I spent all day writing and messing with taxes while it rained. Once the sun comes out, it's going to be all work, all the time, as I have two boats that are going to be in the blessing of the fleet at the Yacht Club on the 5th and there's no time to waste!

Apparently we're going to be sharing in the out-like-a-lion weather, too. They're saying we may break a record from 1894 (???) for lows this weekend. Surely that can't be, but I've not paid much attention. I didn't even turn on the tv this morning and didn't know about the MS tornadoes until tonight.

I'm quite excited - I think some gerbera daisy seeds I planted are sprouting. Either that or the birds are knocking their seed into my pots again. The only other action around here is the new goldfish bowl. I always get mom a fun toy for her Easter basket. This year I picked up a tiny little goldfish bowl in Walgreen's. You put some plastic gravel and two plastic fish in it, fill it with water and two drops of dish soap, stick a couple of double A batteries in the bottom and turn it on. Those fish swim like crazy! It must be the electrical current, huh? I'm not sure how it gets through the plastic base the thing sits on... Anyway, the cat's entranced and I keep forgetting they aren't real. I may be closer to the edge than I think!

Have a great weekend!
20. 0084PenguinLover
9:00 AM GMT on March 26, 2009
Jane: I was thinking yesterday that you never got back to me on the c-rolls. How'd they turn out for you??

PL
19. sandiquiz
7:57 AM GMT on March 26, 2009
Morning Jane -
"Cloudy and chilly today. Everyone had to wear their winter coats again this morning. "
I saw this comment from you and it is similar here in the UK. We have been promised snow and frost again this weekend!!
So it looks like March came in like a lamb and will go out like a lion!!

Hope you have a Great Thursday :)
18. SBKaren
9:44 PM GMT on March 25, 2009
When I first saw this picture:

I though it was foam! But then I realized it's ice rocks! Wow - that's amazing! Hope you warm up - we are still having some chilly mornings, getting down to mid 40s, but it warms up nicely. Should start seeing our temperatures climb. In the summer we sometimes have about a 6┬║ variance between morning and night!
17. JanesVacation
8:30 PM GMT on March 23, 2009
Cloudy and chilly today. Everyone had to wear their winter coats again this morning. The thermometer says 51 this afternoon, but with winds over 25MPH and no sunshine, it feels a lot colder! Brrrr. Hoping for some rain tonight. I had one crocus that was brave enough to appear. (It made a big mistake!)

Page: 1 | 2Blog Index

Life Along Lake Michigan

About JanesVacation

I am a teacher and I enjoy living along Lake Michigan. It is a beautiful place that makes me feel like I am on vacation all year long!