Wisconsin Weather Update for December 1, 2008.

By: HaleStorm , 12:58 PM GMT on December 01, 2008

Good Monday morning!

Weather Synopsis
Well there it is, our first significant snowfall of the season for parts of central and southern Wisconsin. And while many of us have to decide whether the snowfall is worth bringing out the snowblower or just hand-shovelling it, for parts of southeastern Wisconsin, that's not really a question, as Waukesha got 6+" of snow and a whopping 10" fell in far southern Sheboygan County. Most of the rest of us got between 2-5".
As for this first day of December, more light snow is expected this morning in far eastern Wisconsin, otherwise we'll just have to deal with the back end of the low pressure system, which is now off to our east. That means a strong, cold wind will be blowing around the existing snow, with a few additional light snow showers or flurries possible, topping off what we've already gotten. Tomorrow looks a little better, then another Alberta Clipper moves through on Wednesday, bringing more snow as well as the coldest air of the season thus far behind it.
Snowfall Map:
Storm Reports:
Surface Map:

Important Weather Statement: (Source: National Weather Service)
Fox Cities:
... Winter Storm Warning now in effect until noon CST today...
A Winter Storm Warning is now in effect until noon CST today. At
400 am... latest snow fall totals ranged from 4 to 6 inches from
the east half of Brown County to Calumet County... with locally
higher amounts toward the Lake Shore counties. For the west half
of Brown County to the Fox Valley... snow fall amounts ranged from
2 to 3 inches. An additional inch or two snow accumulation is
expected this morning. Northwest winds of 15 to 30 mph with
higher gusts along the Lakeshore are producing blowing and
drifting of this new snow fall. Many sheriffs departments are
reporting hazardous roads this morning.

A Winter Storm Warning for snow and blowing snow means
very hazardous winter weather conditions are expected or
occurring. The combination of snow and strong winds will make
travel very difficult. The latest Wisconsin Road conditions can be
obtained by calling 800-762-3947.

Southeastern Wisconsin:
... Winter Weather Advisory in effect until noon CST today...
... Winter Storm Warning is cancelled...
The National Weather Service in Milwaukee/Sullivan has issued a
Winter Weather Advisory for snow and blowing snow... which is in
effect until noon CST today. The Winter Storm Warning has been

Light snow will continue this morning across the advisory area.
Additional snowfall of up to an inch is expected. Widespread
snowfall of 4 to 10 inches has been reported. In addition... blustery
north winds of 15 to 30 mph will cause blowing and drifting snow.

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow and blowing snow means that
visibilities will be limited due to a combination of falling and
blowing snow. Use caution when traveling... especially in open
areas. West to east roads will experience the greatest threat of
reduced visibility and snow drifts.

Today’s Forecast Grade: D

Wisconsin Forecast:
Today: Light snow showers gradually ending later this morning in eastern Wisconsin. Otherwise cloudy and windy with blowing snow and new flurries. High of 29.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy and breezy, lows mid- teens.

Tomorrow: Morning sunshine with increasing clouds later in the day. Still windy with highs in the lower 30s central, mid- 30s south. Light snow developing tomorrow night (50% chance).

Wednesday: Cloudy and breezy with snow, and heavier totals are again expected in eastern WI. According to the NWS Hydrometeorological Prediction Center (HPC), there's a 40% chance of at least 4" of snow in eastern Wisconsin, with just a 10% chance elsewhere in the state. Highs 30-35. Chance of measurable snow 50% central, 60% south-central, 75% southeast.
Thursday: Cloudy, breezy and colder. Highs only 21-26.
Friday: Partly sunny, breezy and cold. Highs 24-29. Light snow possible Friday night (30% chance).

This Weekend:
Saturday: Partly sunny, highs 29-34.
Sunday: Becoming cloudy and colder with snow developing late. Perhaps another whopper? Highs 24-29. Chance of snow 30%.

Other City Forecasts:

Today and Tomorrow in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota: Partly cloudy today, light snow developing late in the day tomorrow. Highs 30-35.

Today and Tomorrow in Anna, Illinois: Scattered snow showers and upper 30s today, partly sunny and mid- 40s tomorrow.
For Monday morning through 7 am...skies will remain overcast with a wintry mix of drizzle...rain and snow persisting. Much of the precipitation is very light...and with temperatures holding firm in the mid 30s across the quad state area...little to no snow accumulation is expected during the next couple of hours. Motorist should use caution this morning due to wet roadways...especially when children are returning to school after the long Holiday weekend. Later this morning...the wintry mix should change over to all snow.

Today and Tomorrow in League City and Pearland, Texas: Partly cloudy and breezy, highs mid- 60s today and lower 70s tomorrow.

Today and Tomorrow in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina: Partly cloudy and breezy, highs mid- to upper 50s.

Today and Tomorrow in Las Vegas, Nevada: Sunshine and mild for this time of the year, highs near or just above 70.
Near record high temperatures today...
... Las Vegas sets the second warmest November on record...

The average temperature for November 2008 was 60.8 degrees which
fell just shy of the all-time November record of 60.9 degrees set in

The average low temperature for the month was 50.7 degrees which was
the warmest on record beating the previous record of 50.6 degrees
set in 2007.

This was also the 4th time on record that high temperatures in
November remained in the 60s or above. This last occurred in 1986.

On a side note... Las Vegas is only two days shy of breaking the
all-time consecutive days streak of low temperatures 40 degrees or
above. The current streak is 288 days and the record is 290 days
which occurred in 2005.

Today and Tomorrow in Davenport, Florida: Partly sunny, isolated showers today, highs 65-70.

Weather in the News:

Snowfall totals differ widely around area
Overnight snow totals from the first major snowstorm of the season differ greatly around the Milwaukee area. Hardest hit appears to be Random Lake, in far southern Sheboygan County, where a total of 10 inches was reported. West Bend reported 8 inches, Slinger 7 and Waukesha 6.3.

Storm disrupts holiday travel
Accidents, some canceled flights and cold temps signaled the arrival of winter Sunday.
The storm caused traffic problems Sunday evening, and with the possibility of more snow and freezing temperatures for the next few days, driving could remain dangerous.

Winter returns: Snow, winds hit Fox Valley
Wintry storm brings hazardous driving conditions
Shoppers came out in droves Saturday and Sunday, but not everyone rushed to the malls to buy Christmas gifts.
Many instead made a beeline for local hardware stores in search of shovels, snow blowers and other equipment to battle the first significant snowstorm of the season.

An unusually destructive hurricane season ends
* Damage caused by 2008's Atlantic hurricanes is estimated at $54 billion
* That's second in recorded history only to 2005, the year Hurricane Katrina hit
* Gustav was responsible for much of 2008 devastation from Haiti to Louisiana

The views of the author are his/her own and do not necessarily represent the position of The Weather Company or its parent, IBM.

Reader Comments

Comments will take a few seconds to appear.

Post Your Comments

Please sign in to post comments.

Log In or Join

Not only will you be able to leave comments on this blog, but you'll also have the ability to upload and share your photos in our Wunder Photos section.

No reader comments have been posted for this blog entry yet.

Ad Blocker Enabled

Wisconsin Weather Update

About HaleStorm

Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences degree from UW-Madison: 1998. Former broadcast Meteorologist for NewsRadio 1310 WIBA in Madison. NWS Storm Spotter.

Local Weather

Mostly Cloudy
48 °F
Mostly Cloudy

HaleStorm's Recent Photos

My Portrait
Ice Storm
Portrait Image
Storm During Rush Hour

Recommended Links

Personal Weather Stations

N9OEQ - Darboy USA
Appleton, WI
Elevation: 735 ft
Temperature: 51.3 °F
Dew Point: 38.0 °F
Humidity: 61%
Wind: 3.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: -
Updated: 8:24 PM CST on February 21, 2017

About Personal Weather Stations