Notes about station status, measurements, local happenings and random inconvenient observations.
By: BruceMac , 4:38 PM GMT on October 29, 2012
The latest (noon) Special Weather Statement highlights:
* Peak winds have increased from 85 to 90 mph. Further strengthening is likely before landfall.
* Rain forecast has increased to 3-6 inches for the valley and 8-12 inches for DC area.
The latest projected track has it moving from York (8am Tue) toward State College (8pm Tue) before turning northeast. That means it will linger in our area longer than previously predicted. And the winds at York have been increased to 70 sustained, gusting 85 - almost hurricane strength.
The local wind forecast has not changed, but I'm dubious. If it's 10+ mph faster at landfall ...
Sandy has now set a record for the lowest central pressure of any storm at this latitude. That's an indication of it's power.
Our friends Lynn and Rich are doing fine on Roanoke Island. They still have power.
For the rest of us here's the latest precautions from NWS:
* BE PREPARED FOR EXTENDED POWER AND COMMUNICATIONS OUTAGES.
* IF YOU LIVE NEAR LARGE TREES...REMAIN IN THE LOWER LEVEL OF YOUR
HOME OR SEEK SHELTER ELSEWHERE IF POSSIBLE AND RIDE SANDY OUT.
* REFRAIN FROM ANY UNNECESSARY TRAVEL.
* ENSURE LOOSE ITEMS ON YOUR PROPERTY ARE SECURED.
* IF POWER LINES ARE DOWN...STAY AWAY FROM THEM AND REPORT IT TO YOUR
LOCAL ELECTRICAL UTILITY COMPANY.
* IF YOU SHOULD HAVE EMERGENCY TRAVEL...IF YOU COME UPON FLOODED
ROADWAYS DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS SUBMERGED ROADWAYS. TURN AROUND
AND DON`T DROWN.
* IF YOU USE A PORTABLE POWER GENERATOR...PLEASE FOLLOW
MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS AND ENSURE THAT IT IS PROPERLY
* DO NOT USE CHARCOAL GRILLS IN ENCLOSED AREAS.
* MARINERS SHOULD ENSURE THAT THERE IS ENOUGH SLACK LINE IN THEIR
BOAT`S MOORINGS TO ACCEPT A BLOW OUT TIDE TODAY AND HIGH TIDES
* PERIODICALLY CHECK ON YOUR ELDERLY NEIGHBORS AND FAMILY MEMBERS
TO ENSURE THEY ARE SAFE.
The views of the author are his/her own and do not necessarily represent the position of The Weather Company or its parent, IBM.