Observation Blog July 10-12...

By: Zachary Labe , 12:46 AM GMT on July 10, 2008

Well I am off to Mt. Washington, NH. I am taking the cog railway up on Thursday to the summit. And then Friday I am driving up on the autoroad to the summit. Looks to be some nice weather with partly cloudy skies and potentially clear skies on Friday. Winds should be pretty gusty also as a low pressure pulls away to the northeast along with a cold front. I will be sure to take lots of pictures and write a full blog on my experience when I return. Here is an observation blog that I use when I am away.

"Current Temperature"

"Current Dewpoint"

"Current Surface Map and Weekly History of Jet Stream Position"

"Regional Radar"

"Regional Satellite"

"Regional Advisories"

"Soil Moisture Anomalies and 5-day Precipitation Amounts from Hydro Prediction Center"

"Severe Weather Outlooks from Storm Prediction Center Days 1, 2, and 3"

"12hr Estimated Precipitation"

"Forecast Max Temperatures"

"Forecast Min Temperature"

"Forecast Weather at 2pm"

"Current Storm Reports"

"Fire Outlooks from Storm Prediction Center Days 1, 2, and 3"

(All maps courtesy of NOAA and Penn State Meteo.)

"Forecast Model Links"

-Severe Weather Parameter Definitions...Link

"Flooding Links"
-Automated Pennsylvania Rainfall Recording Stations...Link
-Flash Flooding Guidance...Link
-HPC Forecasts for Excessive Rainfall...Link
-Hydrology Predictions for Lakes, Rivers, and Streams...Link

I will be away from July 10-12. This is an observation blog where there are automatically updating maps. Feel free to leave comments below and daily observations are welcomed. Back to regular blogging a few days after I return. Have a wonderful Thursday, Friday, and Saturday!!!

19. seflagamma
9:40 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
Hi Bliz,

Looks like you are enjoying your weekend get away! Have a great time!!!
18. Zachary Labe
7:53 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
shoreacres- I changed my settings. It went through.
17. shoreacres
7:49 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
Hi, Bliz,

Just tried sending you another email - looks like it went through. If it didn't arrive with a message that says "Just testing the system" you might want to check your settings or contact the nice WU gurus.

Linda
16. Zachary Labe
7:39 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
jthal57- Thanks. Grass here is very green, especially considering we are getting in the heart of summer.

cchamp6- A moose, wow, how lucky. For some reason I can never see one. I have been in Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park, Acadia National Park, etc. and for some reason I can never see a moose.

shoreacres- I am not sure why I am not accepting mail? Anyway I will stop by and delete the quote.

TheRasberryPatch- It really is an amazing place.
15. TheRasberryPatch
6:21 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
sounds like a great trip Blizz.

cc - wow there is moose in connecticut? that is amazing.
14. shoreacres
5:23 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
Blizzard ~ Just found out you're not accepting mail. Could you do me a favor and pop over to my blog and do a "delete" on the whole block quote that went up when you hit the "quote function"? Leave yours, sure! But there's no reason for that whole post to be there - just eats bandwidth and makes it harder to follow the discussion.

I think the developers didn't quite think this through when they put the quote function in without allowing selectivity. Even if you copy a bit of text and then hit quote, you get the whole thing - unless there's a trick I'm not finding, which may be.

Anyhow - no biggie. It just doesn't seem necessary to repeat everything! LOL!

Sounds like you had a terrific trip. I'll look forward to reading about it.
13. cchamp6
5:06 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
I am really glad you had a good experience. That place is amazing. Cant wait to check out the blog.

Another note: My wife and 5 year old son saw a moose the other day. I saw many living in Alaska, but now they are starting to populate my town here.
12. jthal57
4:55 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
Glad you had a good time! I definitely want to check it out some day! Can't wait to read about your experience.
11. Zachary Labe
4:50 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
Well I am back!!! What an amazing experience on Mt. Washington. I should have a blog about my experience sometime in the next couple of days. Here is a quick summary of my trip. Thursday afternoon I took the cog railway up to the top. The summit was thick in clouds, but there were extremely strong winds. I measured a gust of 63.9mph on the observation deck with my handheld anemometer. The observatory also measured a 65.5mph gust at the same time. The second day took the auto road in the morning to the summit and I had clear skies with visibility over 60miles. I got some great pictures I will post in my new blog in a couple of days. I got a special personal tour of the weather station and now I am a short term member of the observatory. What an amazing experience that I recommend for all! Again look for a blog on my total experience sometime in the next couple of days.
10. jthal57
2:23 PM GMT on July 12, 2008
Quoting cchamp6:
Well it isnt looking good today. The summit is clouded in and 44 degrees. Check out this link to the Mt. Washington summit. Link

I just checked the link...they're measuring wind chills! It's 40F lol-blizzard is probably liking that!
9. cchamp6
7:43 PM GMT on July 11, 2008
8. TheRasberryPatch
1:10 PM GMT on July 11, 2008
my mtd is 0.72" gotten some rain, but usually in the tenths to twentieths of an inch. my grass is growing with plenty of brown. one thing about grass - supposedly the summer is when it likes to go dormant, especially if it is dry.
7. jthal57
12:25 PM GMT on July 11, 2008
just for the record, Wed. rainfall here; 0.00"
mtd .60"
yards are starting to turn brown. we could use some rain!
6. TheRasberryPatch
4:23 AM GMT on July 11, 2008
sorry but its summer and i would rather be in either alaska or at the beach.
5. hurigo
2:00 AM GMT on July 11, 2008
Hope you are having a great time, know you must be.
4. cchamp6
1:22 AM GMT on July 11, 2008
Currently 43 degrees on the summit! Wind about 50 mph. He will be lucky if the clouds hold off tomorrow.
3. jthal57
11:02 PM GMT on July 10, 2008
Quoting TheRasberryPatch:
what a beautiful day outside. we haven't had a day like that it seems for 2 weeks. probably more like 7 or 8 days. the next few days look so promising for being outside and enjoying the weather.
this evening should be great to sit on the porch and drink a few beers.

Raspberry-you and I are on the same wavelength! It is absolutely gorgeous here too. July doesn't get any better than this! Nice weather, garden producing, etc. Long term is looking pretty good, too.
2. TheRasberryPatch
9:03 PM GMT on July 10, 2008
this evening should be great to sit on the porch and drink a few beers.
1. JDinWPA
1:51 PM GMT on July 10, 2008
I'm sure you're having a great morning, Bliz. We got .57" of rain yesterday which brings the mtd up to .97".

The Northeast Weather Blog...

About Blizzard92

Ph.D. Student - Earth System Science (UC Irvine), B.Sc. - Atmospheric Sciences (Cornell University)

Blizzard92's Recent Photos