100th Blog Celebration

By: Astrometeor , 3:00 AM GMT on August 05, 2014

Yes, this is my 100th blog everyone. Although the entry number says “99”, one must remember that the counter starts with the first blog being “0” and then the second being “1” and so on. Always confuses me.

Anyways, I decided to bring up a little something from several months ago. I was still technically undecided about where my undergraduate studies should occur, and so I took my second trip out to the University of Oklahoma. While there, my family and I took a tour of the National Weather Center, a building that houses NWS Norman, the Storm Prediction Center, and OU’s meteorology college. I talked to a professor there, who showed me a model of a new radar that he was developing, one that should be able to get more samplings of a storm and at a faster rate as well.

The tour took us all over, we got to see NOAA’s/OU’s version of DOW (Doppler on Wheels) truck, along with another truck that had a prototype of the aforementioned professor’s experimental radar. That is where this little item comes in:

Astrometeor with Doppler on Wheels truck used by OU photo NathanDoW_zps6e5b2772.jpg
Figure 1. Astrometeor is standing in front of NOAA’s DOW at the National Weather Center in Norman, OK. In the background is an experimental radar mounted upon a truck for field testing.

From 0-99, I have created a rather interesting variety of blog posts. Not even I could’ve known that I would write about opinions on various nuances of society, poems about some of my closest female friends, all in addition to the local and global weather and climatic events. 100-199 should be just as diverse.

I myself as a blogger have gone from a lurker getting a hold of the culture here to a guy who has arguably some of the best friends in the world, even though he’s only met one in real life. Truly amazing. I have gone from a shy kid who wouldn’t even share his first name in WU chat, to a kid who’s willing to engage in even the strangest conversations the teenage bloggers can concoct on late-night chats.

I have gone from one who would know a little bit about weather while holding a fierce passion for it to a guy who now knows all sorts of terms, such as ATCF, ECMWF, GFS, CMC, AMO; along with phrases such as “wishcasting”, “eat your crow”, and “it’s going to Cayman”.

Anyways, it has been an amazing first 100 blogs, and I shall try to (at the minimum) match that performance in the next 100 blogs.

Thanks to everyone for reading my blogs, and I hope you shall do so in the future. Thanks for the kind words and the constructive criticisms (well, except for Max and Cody…those two need to learn the term “constructive criticism”), and I shall try to write satisfactory to everyone’s expectations of Astro.

Locations of Site Visitors

38. Astrometeor
5:07 AM GMT on September 11, 2014
Quoting 37. justkeepswimming:

Hi Astro!

Guess who this is? The weather in Boston is currently very chilly. Well, ok, only for a wimp like me. But seriously, the high has been 71-ish for the last couple of days, and it's partly cloudy, currently. Anyways, happy 100th blog post :) and happy late b-day!

Ah, beautiful first post. ;)

It hit 88 a few days ago here, and I was making fun of my college friends since they were wilting. Now I'm afraid of this winter, they're going to taunt me when it turns cold. :/

And thanks. You don't know how much the bloggers here mean to me. I hope you'll become one of the great bloggers here, as well. You don't have to blog a lot, just be yourself. :P
37. justkeepswimming
3:23 AM GMT on September 11, 2014
Hi Astro!

4:44 AM GMT on August 10, 2014
Astrometeor has created a new entry.
35. MaxWeather
10:50 PM GMT on August 09, 2014
Quoting 34. Astrometeor:

I HAS A CELL PHONE!!!! FIRST ONE I'VE EVER HAD!!!

So, I'm a little bit excited.

wow... finally Astro join us here in the new millennium!
congrats!
34. Astrometeor
5:44 AM GMT on August 09, 2014
I HAS A CELL PHONE!!!! FIRST ONE I'VE EVER HAD!!!

So, I'm a little bit excited.
33. KoritheMan
6:44 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
"I myself as a blogger have gone from a lurker getting a hold of the
culture here to a guy who has arguably some of the best friends in the
world, even though he’s only met one in real life."

I prefer the term "in person". "In real life" implies there's a significant difference between the two. There isn't.
32. Astrometeor
5:25 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 31. MaxWeather:

Oh...I'm curious to know about the *weather related topic it's going to be

Ooo, is that sarcasm?

It's not weather-related.
31. MaxWeather
5:16 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 30. Astrometeor:

Right now I'm trying to decide when to post my next blog. Maybe on Saturday. I do have the recipient's permission (since she knows about this place) to post. Last few times I went ahead and posted without her permission, but I felt I should ask this go-around.

Oh...I'm curious to know about the *weather related topic it's going to be
30. Astrometeor
5:12 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
29. MaxWeather
5:10 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
I do admit I have slowed down with posts since I came up with this new handle...
2-3k should've been my count otherwise.

I'm not too concerned with that no more but I don't just sit and watch everyone else get ahead
28. Astrometeor
5:08 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 27. MaxWeather:

Ohh really?
Let me go back some blogs to confirm your statement

Tic toc tic toc..
Errrrrr....

I meant #of comments. I haven't kept pace with #of blogs so I don't know about that one.
27. MaxWeather
5:06 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 26. Astrometeor:

Graphing won't work well since my blogging highly fluctuates, but apparently still keeps ahead of your postings.

:p

Ohh really?
Let me go back some blogs to confirm your statement

Tic toc tic toc..
Errrrrr....
26. Astrometeor
5:04 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 24. MaxWeather:

Do a liner regression, standard deviation and a data input (whatever else needed) in your graphing calculation to see about when you could surpass my count...
Apparently you have the time for that

:p
25. Astrometeor
5:01 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 21. Skyepony:

CONGRATS!!!

Looks like an awesome tour. You better stick to it & study hard! We don't want to see you fail over the next 100 blogs:)

Thanks Skye. You're my favorite moderator, and you do a great job, despite all the criticism you get.
24. MaxWeather
5:01 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 23. Astrometeor:

Don't worry Max, I've been keeping track the last few months. Haven't made an update for a while, though.

Do a linear regression, standard deviation and a data input (whatever else needed) in your graphing calculator to see about when you could surpass my count...
Apparently you have the time for that
23. Astrometeor
4:55 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 22. MaxWeather:

The tortoise said to the hare....
Oh no, in this case it's the other way around...

I have nearly 16,000 posts made on wu and over 120 blogs...
Go on Astro.. Wanna see you working that out

*Max sits back, relax, and watches eating popcorn

Edit: Just re-crunched them. I'm getting ever so closer on comment count.
22. MaxWeather
4:52 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 20. Astrometeor:

I'm going to pass that 14K in no time at all!

The tortoise said to the hare....
Oh no, in this case it's the other way around...

I have nearly 16,000 posts made on wu and over 120 blogs...
Go on Astro.. Wanna see you working that out

*Max sits back, relax, and watches eating popcorn
21. Skyepony (Mod)
4:49 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
CONGRATS!!!

20. Astrometeor
4:19 AM GMT on August 07, 2014
Quoting 3. trHUrrIXC5MMX:

(well, that was 2 mins)

I'm going to pass that 14K in no time at all!
19. Astrometeor
4:48 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 15. Grothar:

Astro, don't listen to them. :) You've been great. You have come a long way. And there is nothing wrong with making a post in the 3rd person narrative. Grothar does it all the time. Here's too your 200th, or would that be your 199th?

Thanks Gro. Lol on the 3rd person. You're a master at these play-on-words and puns and jokes. Also your tropical cyclone forecasting skills are superb as well. :)
18. Astrometeor
4:34 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 16. PedleyCA:

That's exactly 100 more blogs than I have written here. Also about 4000 more comments than me and you have a bit shorter time than me. I enjoy reading some of your stuff and you conduct yourself with dignity
(most of the time:). Looking forward to 100 more.

A teenager has to have his fun.

Thanks for the kind words, Pedley.
17. Astrometeor
4:29 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
This is what Liz had to say:

Methinks 100 is awesome!!! That's really exciting :D

Also it seems that the blogs are a good place to explore yourself.

And I'm missing references, but that's ok, because I get that they're good references.

Also, about the poem, I forgot to tell you. You can put mine if up you want. I still have it.

Please explain all of the acronyms. Basically. And the phrases.
16. PedleyCA
4:24 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
(most of the time:). Looking forward to 100 more.
15. Grothar
4:09 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
14. Astrometeor
4:09 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 11. TropicalAnalystwx13:

You might want to see a doctor after bleeding blue and white.

Not the first to say that, lol. It was my Class's slogan. For whatever reason, the class officers picked a graphic design off the interwebs, rather than consult with the artist in the grade who will attend an art school down in Georgia this fall. *rolls eyes* Oh well.

We were also the Royal 14rmy, so people were encouraged to wear camo to pep rallies. Which I thought was a stupid idea, and I told the girl responsible for it that I thought so....but my opinion is worth zilch when it's me vs pretty Asian girl who's a class officer. Not that my school ever had popularity contests or nothing, we were a rather humorous class.

13. MaxWeather
4:09 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 12. Astrometeor:

Not everyone knows my first name. I was tempted to put it there, but decided against.

I remember the picture I showed you, lol. Team pic, I had to point out who was me.

Captain obvious!!!!!

The day before you first showed me a pic of yours I saw you walking down the street.
12. Astrometeor
4:04 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 8. MaxWeather:

In the picture why did you say Astrometeor...? People would actually think of you as your legit name.
Btw... It has been a long long time I didn't see pics of you.

11. TropicalAnalystwx13
4:04 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
You might want to see a doctor about bleeding blue and white.
10. Astrometeor
4:03 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 9. MaxWeather:

Technically you posted ur 10001 comment in my blog, not the 10kth.
We start from comment 0 as 1.

But let's just not go there.

!!!!

Making this too complicated.
9. MaxWeather
3:57 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Technically you posted ur 10001 comment in my blog, not the 10kth.
We start from comment 0 as 1.

But let's just not go there.
8. MaxWeather
3:51 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Btw... It has been a long long time I didn't see pics of you.
7. Thrawst
3:51 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Lolol, k.
6. Astrometeor
3:44 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 3. trHUrrIXC5MMX:

Edit: This is #10,001 because Max made me post the 10,000th on his blog. Whatevs, it was either going to be there or on Doc's blog.
after all, he is my best friend on WU

awww... honoratissimus sum!
merci!

(well, that was 2 mins)

You're welcome, Max. :p Thanks for using your old handle, good nostalgic memories with that handle.
5. Astrometeor
3:32 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Quoting 2. MaxWeather:

BRAVO Nathan!
Clapping it up for this blog

btw...
Edit2: Just thought about it some more. Max should be privileged to garner my 10,000 comment, after all, he is my best friend on WU, and I think he deserves it. Not that Max keeps track of number of comments or anything.

Im sure you forgot you were at the 9999 otherwise you would have saved it for your own.
I don't keep track of that anymore
but this other guy has a handful ... just wait "1" minute" to see

I forgot I had 9999 when I checked your blog. When I posted on Doc's, I mentioned I was posting this just to get closer to the mark. I was well aware at that moment my number. In fact, I had promised a young lady that I would post this today, and seeing very little at the moment to talk about troubled me for a few moments, and some of those comments I would not have otherwise posted...
4. MaxWeather
3:28 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
Ohhhh I just read that "constructive criticism" part....
-___-

Clapping it up for this blog

btw...

I don't keep track of that anymore
but this other guy has a handful ... just wait "1" minute" to see
1. Astrometeor
3:01 AM GMT on August 05, 2014
100 blogs and 10,000 comments.

:D

Astro's Blog

About Astrometeor

Age: 20, b-day is 8/27. Graduate of MLK High in Nashville, TN. Attends MU in PA. Loves football, soccer, Frisbee, Scouts, Science Olympiad.