... Lake effect snow warning in effect from midnight tonight to
6 am CST Saturday...
The National Weather Service in Duluth has issued a lake effect
snow warning... which is in effect from midnight tonight to 6 am
CST Saturday. The lake effect snow watch is no longer in effect.
* Locations... highest snow totals will be along the Gogebic
Range of northern Iron County.
* Timing... snow will increase in intensity late Wednesday night
and continue into Friday evening.
* Snow accumulations... 6 to 12 inches.
* Winds... northwest 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.
* Visibilities... as low as a quarter mile or less at times.
* Impacts... the heavy snow will make many roads impassable and may
produce widespread power outages due to the weight of the snow
on tree limbs and power lines.
Now is the time to prepare for the storm. Stock up on medicines...
batteries... water... food... pet supplies and baby supplies.
A lake effect snow warning means significant amounts of lake-
effect snow are forecast that will make travel very hazardous or
impossible. Lake-effect snow showers typically align themselves
in bands and will likely be intense enough to drop 1 to several
inches of snow per hour for several hours. Visibilities vary
greatly and can drop to zero within minutes. Travel is strongly
discouraged. Commerce could be severely impacted. If you must
travel... keep an extra flashlight... food... and water in your
vehicle in case of an emergency.