Retired and loving it. If I'd have known about retirement befor I started my 40 year career with the government of Manitoba I'd have retired first. :)
By: plapman, 1:11 PM GMT on June 30, 2014
Yesterday's huge rainfall has prompted 24 municipalities to declare states of local emergency. Among them is the RM of Westbourne. Reeve David Single says they received 4 to 8 inches of rain, and maybe more over a large part of the municipality.
"We got water going over roads, we got culverts being washed out. And farmers are definitely in a state of emergency, there's a pile of crops that's going to be finished."
The RM's of Grahamdale and Siglunes in the Interlake have also declared states of local emergency. Here's the full list, as well as the list of highways closures, as of 9:30 last night.
The following municipalities have declared a SOLE:
Archie, Arthur, Brandon (city), Cameron, Coldwell, Cornwallis, Daly, Deloraine (town), Edward, Elkhorn (village), Hartney (town), Miniota, Oak Lake (town), Pipestone, Roblin (town), Sifton, Strathclair, Virden, Wallace, Whitewater and Winchester.
Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation reports the following highway closures:
* PR 349 for 15 kilometres west of PT 250 is now closed,
* PR 256 from PR 255 to PTH 2 is now closed,
* PTH 2 from the Saskatchewan border to PR 256 is closed,
* PR 542 from the Trans-Canada Highway to PR 257 is now closed,
* PR 255 from the Saskatchewan border to PR 256 is now closed,
* PR 467 from PTH 41 to PTH 83 is now closed,
* PR 256 from PR 41 to the Trans-Canada Highway is now closed,
* PR 568 from 11.6 km west of PTH 83 for two km is now closed,
* PTH 83 from the Trans-Canada Highway to PTH 2 is now closed,
* PR 568 from PTH 42 to PTH 83 is now closed with access for local traffic only,
* PTH 256 from the Trans-Canada Highway to PR 255 is now closed with access for local traffic only,
* PR 468 from the Trans-Canada Highway to PR 353 is now closed with access for local traffic only, and
* the Trans-Canada Highway west of Brandon has water over the road and may be closed if it continues to rise.
Updated: 10:31 PM GMT on July 01, 2014
By: plapman, 10:35 AM GMT on June 14, 2014
My sister from Medicine Hat is here for the weekend.
She brought a friend.
The friend isn't used to traveling with my sister I guess. While my sister and me were chatting she, the friend, fell asleep. My sister does the 12 hour drive only stopping for fuel and food.
Updated: 4:07 PM GMT on June 30, 2014
By: plapman, 10:35 PM GMT on June 07, 2014
The city had a contractor repair a water main this winter.
I think they need a new inspector.
Updated: 10:33 AM GMT on June 14, 2014
By: plapman, 1:59 PM GMT on June 02, 2014
It's been a rough week for the Queen.
Her mother suffered a stroke and was placed in a palliative-care room.
Yesterday showed a great improvement , she eating, laughing and taking part of conversations.
Today she'll be moved to a regular ward.
From My Basement Window