Most people would want to plant crops that can easily gain profit in the market. Crops like tomatoes, salad greens, sweet potatoes, and among others are commonly planted by farmers in their farms and gardens. However, some wants to venture in different ways of gaining profit in the market such as generating income with the use of underutilized crops. These are specialty crops that unexpectedly can bring income.
- Herbs. These plants normally thrive in organic farming. However, it is almost neglected by some farmers and growers. Little do they know that growing these culinary and medicinal herbs can be a great means of starting a new herbal business. Some of the well-known herbs in the market are chives, oregano, cilantro, lavender and basil. For instance, lavender contains a number of medicinal uses, as it can be a source of essential oils.
- Mushrooms. As one of the underutilized crops, growing mushrooms can give a good profit to farmers and growers as well. What’s good with these mushrooms is that they can produce a lot per square foot of growing space. Nowadays, they are one of the first items to sell out at the market.
- Ginseng. This crop has been valued by the Oriental people for thousands of years because of its healing effect. Also, it serves as a tonic that provides strength for those who will take it. They naturally thrive in organic gardening because they are quite particular when they are grown in order to mature its roots.
- Bamboo. A lot of homeowners and landscapers are spending out around 150 dollars for a potted bamboo plant, and the regular growers of this plant are starting to become challenged in keeping up with the demand. Bamboo is a versatile plant; it can thrive in organic gardening to be utilized as an ornamental hedge, screen, or as a stand-alone plant. Planning on making bamboo pots to gain profit can be a worth profitable for many.
- Flowers. These ornaments can draw a great income in the market. A lot of backyard owners begin organic farming and start planting some of the high-specialty crop like the ‘everlastings’. A lot of small-time farmers and growers find eager buyers in Saturday markets where flowers are the first plants to sell out.
These are just some of the underutilized crops that can turn out profitable by farmers and growers. Provided with proper care and the right methods of organic farming, these crops will surely generate income.
Comments will take a few seconds to appear.