On June 4th I left Kentucky driving my RV known as Leggs. The trip is mostly unplanned, it will be interesting to see where I end up. Let's GO!
By: joealaska , 4:23 AM GMT on February 19, 2014
Good to hear Miranda is OK for now, Dave. Hang in there. As far as UK goes, not good. They featured it again last night on the national news, saying more rain coming. UK, how close are you to that flooding?
Meanwhile, it was interesting weather here yesterday afternoon. A front came through and it went from calm and sunny to steady rain, then hard rain. There was also some decent thunder and lightning. The creek rose up to the brim, but it did not flood. I took a late night walk and it was not raining any more, but a nice breeze was coming through.
Then TODAY was very nice. 58 degrees and sunny. Golfable except for the snow here and there that was still unmelted. I ran some errands and got home late afternoon. I opened the patio door wide and aired out the cats. Tomorrow it may get close to 70! Then Thursday they are saying big thunderstorms coming through at dinnertime. The guy said 80-90 mph winds possible. Two fronts hitting directly over 6th St. and Muhammad Ali in Louisville. How much you want to bet? Yet I will be there waiting with camera charged. Anxious.
So the RV situation came to a head when another buyer called and wanted to see the RV just after I looked. They had a deposit on another home in Chattanooga, but would be able to get out of it if they found a better option by 5 PM yesterday, Monday. But there is more to this whole situation...
It should be obvious to most of you that an RV would be a good option for me. I agree, and have thought about it for years. But all of that time I was thinking of it as a vacation vehicle, then throw the tarp back on. (And protect the tires from dryrot with one of many methods available.)
But now it could be a good option to live in, at least for a while and see if I likee. Probably will. And now THAT angle makes it a little more interesting to consider. But I have already checked prices, and I know the home I want would make it a real commitment. Frankly, I assumed it was not gonna happen. And here is where it gets a bit weird.
My friend Steve died. About 5 or 6 weeks ago. Last time I went to his house across the river and in New Albany, Indiana was a couple years ago.
Well, after he passed on, Becky his wife made a few comments on Facebook about what she was doing to take care of the business of getting her life in order after her husband died. She is taking the death of Steve very hard. I knew that all along. So when she mentioned she would be selling their RV I only took mild notice. I did not even know they HAD an RV. Turns out they had 4 of them over the last few years. Steve was a wheeler-dealer. He knew when to buy something, usually a car, and when he could just re-sell it for a profit. Or drive it a year and then re-sell. For a profit. He did it more as a hobby, not to make money. But that happened. He bought this particular home last October, after he had told Becky he would not buy anything unless it was a great deal.
They ended up never using it.
So I waited a few weeks. I really was not going to go after it, but it was in the back of my head that it was out there. I had no idea what type of motor home it was at that point. Then, I got that note from my apartment saying they needed a 60 day notice of what I was going to do. Staying? With a higher rent? NOW I was thinking what other options do I have?
So I sent Becky an email asking what the status was on the RV. Further, I said, just tell me the lowest price you want to sell it and give me an option of Y or N. I will not be making any counter offers. And she did. She had it on an internet site where it was listed and she would pay them if they brought a buyer. If I bought, she would not have to pay that commission. She gave me a good deal. I checked out other units for sale and it was obvious. BUY. But I was in no hurry. So I went and looked at and I liked it. 30 feet long, slide-outs on both sides. Central vacuum. Propane + generator. Shower. Sleeps 5, but two of those better be little kids looking for an adventure. Really, one bedroom sleeps two or one easily. Or 740 cats, depending on cat pile configuration. There were no repairs needed, great shape.
I did not drive it at that time. We agreed to meet again shortly and we would go through the whole process of setting it up, and taking it down. And drive it. Years ago I drove trucks that same size, I am not worried about that part. So I looked at everything, and then I left. I took the Owners Manual and would read it.
Couple days later Becky called and told me about the other buyers who saw the listing on the internet. I found out at 7 PM Sunday night that the other people wanted to see the home at 9:30 the next morning. Becky called and asked if I could bring back the Owners Manual. It would mean battling rush hour morning traffic, while going through the construction zone where they are building another bridge across the OHIO RIVER. I said OK. (Anything for Becky!)
I went to take a shower, and was thinking. I was hesitating to buy, but I knew it was a good deal. I trusted Steve. I trusted Becky. If I tried to buy ANYWHERE else, it would be shakey. So I called Becky back late that night and told her to tell those other folks this RV is SOLD.
Next day, at a more reasonable hour - midday - I handed her the biggest check I ever wrote (twice the amount of the last #1). I should say the largest BAD check I ever wrote. Funds needed moving, and she understood. I did that all today. She has agreed to let it remain at her place until the end of April, when my lease runs out. Then I move in, and park it SOMEWHERE near Louisville. Not a lot of options. I will live in it for a month and get used to it. Then celebrate my mom’s 80th, an event I planned this whole RV deal around.
AND THEN, head west. Slowly and efficiently. Driving the RV, towing the Camry. I would like to search out nice RV campgrounds and give them a chance. If they are nice, stay and check it out. Or move on to the next option. Only drive the RV when needed. Give me a view and I may never leave. Nice to be flexible. I plan on looking at many options. A couple of nights out in the wilderness in between civilized parks may work out. I like the options.
Heading west with no real destination. Should be interesting.
Looking at buying a webcam or two to document the whole trip.
Asking the RV manufacturer if they might be interested in some sponsorship of my travels.
Thank you for your attendance. There may be a quiz.
Comments will take a few seconds to appear.