With Dutch Harbor in the rear view window, I am camped out in Louisville, KY. looking for employment and a new chapter.
By: joealaska , 6:21 AM GMT on April 28, 2012
Just because I have confirmed tickets, and just because the weather seems fine, it means NOTHING.
I went to the airport Thursday around 2:15 PM to check in for my 4:15 flight. They were closing down the place. My flight was cancelled due to “weather”. Must have been weather elsewhere, as DUTCH was pretty nice. Some wind, but nothing unusual. Later I found out the wind WAS unusual in that it was coming across the runway, versus the typical direction of down or up it.
Early flights had been delayed and eventually cancelled. By the end of the day there were a LOT of people on standby.
Last night was a BEAUTIFUL evening. Warm, calm, sunny. It was ironic I was enjoying it while it was the reason I was still in town. Kids were out running around the Haystack hillside playing with their dogs. I opened up the windows.
I was told to be back at the airport at 7:30 AM.
Wednesday I had scrambled to get an earlier flight out of Dutch. I was unable to get to Albuquerque with the change, but I was able to get to Phoenix. It cost an additional $228. Then I still had to get to Albuquerque. $200 more for a Southwest flight. Finally I had to change the rental car deal to coordinate with the change.
Now it was all screwed up
I was there at the airport first thing. Me and a hundred other people. I had to wait around until 11AM when they told me to come back at 2:30. Meanwhile it had turned into a working vacation, as I was on the phone a lot. Hard to turn it off as I was still in town.
The airport was packed with pissed off folk, and we were all put on the back burner while the regularly scheduled flights went out. I had heard there would be a couple of extra flights added to handle all us standbys, but no sir.
I went back at 2:30 and waited until 5. I was led to believe I would get out, but it did not happen. So I remain here, having thrown out a decent amount of perishable food that now would be of use.
Will go back tomorrow at 8 AM, hoping to catch the 9AM departure. That will give Casa and myself most of one day to golf. Not as much time as I was hoping, but still should be able to make some money. Monday AM I pick up the rental and hit the road.
Meanwhile today was just a perfect day. Not a cloud in the sky, which is RARE. The best day of the year. It was 48 degrees at one point.
The newspaper came out today. Many people are upset at the vandalism on the Russian Church. It is a National Monument, so there are federal charges that could be involved.
Comments will take a few seconds to appear.