I provide a weather email service for people in MD. I am a storm chaser & Skywarn spotter. For daily weather tidbits follow me on Twitter: @wxmanMD.
By: cws6196 , 5:06 AM GMT on December 26, 2012
quick update Wed morning
The transition to snow is now happening in central MD. S MD has all rain and it will stay that way. For those having snow, the flakes should remain falling until around noon or so. I originally thought 10:00, but the colder air is staying around a bit longer. Most around Baltimore could see a dusting or so before the rain, while those further west and north could get a couple inches. Enjoy!
As I previously posted, Wednesday's event will begin as frozen precip making the morning commute a bit challenging. Those closer to Baltimore and in S MD could see light snow and sleet before turning to rain, while those west and north of Baltimore could see a longer period of snow followed by accumulating freezing rain.
TIMING: For most the precip should start as snow around 3:00am or so and by 6:00am will either be sleet or snow/freezing rain (as mentioned above). By 10:00am or so we should see the change over to all rain, although another shot of snow late in the day is possible.
CONCERNS: The morning commute could be dangerous given the frozen precip, especially side roads. As the day progresses we could see around an inch of rain. Local flooding should not be an issue, although clogged drains should be cleared.
ALTERNATIVE FORECAST: I am still a bit concerned that the cold air will remain longer as it did on Christmas Eve. The dynamics this time are a bit different from the 24th, but I do see the possibility of a colder solution. If this solution is true, the difference to my forecast would mean a longer period of snowfall and no freezing rain (sleet still possible but later in the day). If this happens I could see 1 - 2 inches of accumulation in the Baltimore area and a dusting in S MD. In either solution rain or sleet should still happen, but for a shorter time frame. Those west and north of Baltimore, in this solution, would see more than 2" of snow and possibly no change to rain.
ODDS: What do I think will happen? I am still shooting for my original solution and timing, just letting you know that I have some doubt (not much).
Comments will take a few seconds to appear.
|Dew Point:||48.0 °F|
|Wind:||2.0 mph from the NNE|
|Wind Gust:||3.0 mph|
Updated: 11:50 PM AKDT on July 01, 2015