News & Blogs
2014 'WU West Coast Photographer's Gathering' GRAND TETONS, WYOMING October 2-5
By: RenoSoHill , 6:57 PM GMT on October 27, 2013
An sneak preview to the events planned follows the photos below.
A list of Photographers with reservations is posted at entry 91.
The "West Coast Organizing Committee" is extremely excited to bring this event to reality! Even more exciting are the "Guides" for this event. They are two of the Best photographers on WU and probably the most experienced on how to shoot the Tetons. We are talking about none other than Summer (CameraDiva) and Carl (Funhawg).
Please be on notice that the Hotels in Jackson WY are already filling up for next fall's vacations. We suggest that you make your reservations as soon as possible, you can always cancel without penalty but you can't put up a tent in the parking lot if you miss out on the reservations.
ROOM BLOCK INFORMATION - CHOICE OF TWO HOTELS Effective Dates: October 2 - 5, 2014
HAMPTON INN 307-733-0033
350 South Hwy 89, Jackson Hole WY 83002
(Request "In House Reservations" for group rates. Reservations cannot be made on the 800 number.
Group ID: CHXWEA (Weather Underground)
Room Block Expires 9-15-2014
Group Rate: $129.00 Single/Double $139.00 Triple/Quad
.......(Rack Price $229.00)
Trip Advisor Hampton Inn
Ranked 15 out of 41
(This is the first choice of attendees so far)
49er Inn and Suites 800-451-2980
330 W Pearl St, Jackson Hole WY 83001
Group ID: 45E23B
Room Block Expires 8-1-2014
Rate: $95.00 Suite $115.00
.....Rack Rate: $135.00 $150.00
Travel Advisor 49er Inn
Ranked 22 out of 41
Photo by Funhawg (Above) CameraDiva (below) Quickeye (Bottom)
Just in case these photos haven't give you heart palpitations - check out the live webcams at entry 32
Tetons National Park Website
PLEASE PASS THE WORD AROUND-Thank You
Use the following links for photos from the two previous events compiled by Kristina.
Tickler Itinerary Release- February 17, 2014
You do not have to go with a group and you can split off
and DIY, but you will be missing the knowledge of the
area by CameraDiva and Funhawg.
Weather Underground 2014 West Coast Grand Teton National Park Spectacular Adventure!!
Tour Guides: (will work for free if constant sounds of shutters clicking and squeals of joy are heard).
Funhawg-Carl-King of the Tetons who knows the best photo op locations
CameraDiva-Summer-Grand Teton National Park is her home away from the Ruby Mountains and responsible for keeping Funhawg in line.
Public Relations Coordinator- Duane Foss ‘Renosohill’-grand master of ceremony and bean counter and several others behind the scene.
Summary: Grand Teton National Park provides some of the most breathtaking scenic beauty in the world. The park is just north of Jackson Hole, Wyoming and is easily accessed along a major loop road that parallels the east side of the Teton Range. There are so many things to see and do in Jackson Hole and in the Grand Teton National Park so we are allowing plenty of time in the itinerary for people to drive around and use the pullouts to photograph as well as join us on any of the specific activities. Our base will be Jackson Hole, WY which offers fantastic restaurants and shopping galore, not to mention awesome western town photo ops.
2014 Overview Trip Dates:
Oct 2, 2014 (Thursday) Arrive in Jackson Hole, Wy
Oct 3 and Oct 4, 2014 (Friday and Saturday) Field Tour Dates with fellow photographers: Perfect time for fall colors and even some snow on the tops of the Tetons. Less crowds this time of year and more wildlife around.
Oct. 5 (Sunday) Day trip on your own to Yellowstone National Park or check out of hotel and go home.
Lodging: In Jackson Hole, Wy. Hampton Inn or 49er Inn and Suites?? A group rate has been secured at both hotels. Most of the folks are staying at the Hampton Inn. This place has a full breakfast and also many amenities. Both hotels have given us a fantastic price for a hotel room in Jackson Hole, Wy where the going rate is normally around $200 or more per night. Be sure to make your reservations early by calling either place and asking for the WEATHER UNDERGROUND group rates. Hotel numbers and reservation codes are listed in the heading of this blog. Please check the hotel's website for amenities - but you will have to call the hotel direct to receive the special WU rate. Everyone is responsible for making their own reservations and should have their reservation made by expiration date of the room block to ensure a room at this rate. Please let Duane know when you have made a room reservation by emailing him at email@example.com or RenoSoHill on WU mail. You can also put the information here on the blog and then all of your photo friends will know you are coming. Interested people will want to book early to ensure a room; people from all over the world come to Jackson Hole to visit the National Parks and hotels average 96% occupancy rates. Due to the room shortage, any available rooms are quite pricy if you don’t book way ahead.
Getting there: You may fly directly into Jackson Hole Airport (JAC) or drive in from the surrounding area. In the case that flights into Jackson are fully booked, Idaho Falls, ID is the next nearest airport (about 2 hours by car), followed by Salt Lake City, Utah (about 4 hours by car). If you fly into the area, you may wish to rent a car for the greatest flexibility or find a WU buddy to pick you up along the way.
National Park Pass: Each vehicle will need an National Park pass to get into the parks (everyone in the vehicle is covered by the one park pass) . You can pay a single $25 entry fee that will get you into the Teton National Park for 7 days. You can also buy an annual America the Beautiful park pass for $80 that will get you into all the parks in the nation for a year. Military members and persons with disabilities can get a free pass and seniors (over 62 yrs old) can get a lifetime pass for $10. More information can be found at: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
Oct 2 2014 Thursday:
Arrive in Jackson Hole. Sneak Preview: Afternoon Classic Barn shoot and informal dinner for those in town early enough.
• Moulton / Mormon Row Barns: Located on Antelope Flats Road, two barns owned by the homesteading Moulton family, still stand today. The barns have become one of the iconic images of Jackson Hole with the Tetons rising up in the background.
• Dinner - casual dinner get-together for those who have already arrived in Jackson.
Oct 3 2014 Friday: Photo Tour with Funhawg and CameraDiva
• Sunrise photo shoot- For early morning risers.
• Oxbow Bend -meet at Oxbow Bend to see breathtakingly beautiful aspen, pine and mountain reflections of Mt. Moran). Early morning is the best time to capture the glassy reflection in the Snake River that flows into the shape of an oxbow. Some choose to shoot from the parking lot while others will hike through the willows down to the water’s edge. Be considerate to not get in others photos as this is a photographer’s haven.
• Genny Lake loop- beautiful forest and lake reflections and majestic peaks of the Teton Range. Cathedral Group Turnout is a great spot to stop and enjoy the expansive views. Finish the loop by continuing to head south to the town of Moose where you can visit the Visitors Center, photograph the Snake River and you may see moose under the bridge next to the river.
• Lunch on your own.
• Horse/Wildlife & Scenery Shoot-Spend the afternoon with Funhawg on a driving tour in search of wildlife and scenery shots.
• Walk-about with CameraDiva around Jackson Hole (option to Horse/Wildlife Scenery Tour)-if you’re not up for a wildlife tour, CameraDiva will be leading a walk-about around Jackson Hole for some town shots and shopping.
• Dinner-A Get Together Mixer in Jackson
Oct 4 2014 Saturday: Photo Tour with Funhawg and CameraDiva
• Sunrise photo shoot at Genny Lake- for early morning risers, watching the sunrise on the peaks at Jenny Lake will be one of your favorite memories. At sunrise the mountains glow orange and reflect in the glassy mirror-like water providing an expanse that is hard to photograph even with a wide-angle lens
• Blacktail Ponds-- Blacktail Ponds overlook (pullout on the left just past Antelope Flats Road) for a scenic view of the Snake River and Tetons.
• Glacier View Turnout - Drive north 2 miles to Glacier View Turnout for majestic Teton views.
• Schwabachers Landing nature walk with Funhawg and CameraDiva Off the beaten path Schwabachers Landing nature walk. Incredible tree and mountain reflections on beaver dams and wildlife sitings. This is easily one of the most popular spots for photographers to capture the dramatic Tetons with a classic water reflection in the foreground. In years past bison have been known to be in the area and also moose will pop up in the marshy land on the other side of the pond.
• Snake River Overlook -Following the Schwabachers landing stroll, head north to the Snake River Overlook made famous by Ansel Adams. Adams used late afternoon light, which drops the mountains into shadow creating the reflection off of the s-curve of the Snake River. Ansel used clouds to balance out the exposure and lots of darkroom printing to bring out the details in the sky and the mountains. No matter how time has changed the view it is still one of the iconic views of the Tetons.
• Lunch- Lunch on your own. Recommendations: Jackson Lake Lodge: John D. Rockefeller financed the building of Jackson Lake Lodge and required that televisions wouldn't be placed in the rooms. You’ll see why once you see the breathtaking beauty out on the back deck. Willows between you and the mountains provides opportunity to spot moose and elk hiding out during the day.
• Afternoon: Park touring on your own.
• Repeat of shooting the barns (Mormon row) with CameraDiva
• Dinner- Group Dinner in Jackson or Teton Village.
Oct 5 2014 Sunday:
Day trip to Yellowstone National Park or travel home –Visit Yellowstone on your own or travel home. Yellowstone is an easy all day trip from Jackson-the west side has most of the major park features including Old Faithful and spectacular colors and displays of hot springs accessed along easy boardwalks. Wildlife is more prominent on the east side of the park.
Hang around a few extra days - til October 8th and watch the eclipse from the high Wyoming skies - no pollution of any type including City Lights. You also won't need as much Zoom from your camera as will will be standing at 6,421 ft.
Comments will take a few seconds to appear.
Personal Weather Stations
Reno South Hills
|Dew Point:||49.0 °F|
|Wind Gust:||0.0 mph|
Updated: 4:29 AM PDT on May 25, 2015