JohnnyParker's Blog

Sunny through next Friday; last day of 2011, get ready for 2012

By: JohnnyParker, 3:54 PM GMT on December 31, 2011

The current temperature is 45 and it feels like 45. Highs will continue to range between 43 and 66 with lows between 25 and 49. Rain returns next Saturday through Monday. Today is the last day of 2011. The weather in 2011 for the South was far from normal. From rare winter storms/cold temperatures to flooding along the Mississippi River to an extremely active tornado/severe weather season, the South has seen it all. Let's hope the year 2012 is not as extreme. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 49 and it feels like 49. Todays high is 63 with a low of 49. Sundays high is 55. Hope yall have a great Saturday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

No rain over the next couple of days, cold air comes in Monday/Tuesday

By: JohnnyParker, 1:19 PM GMT on December 30, 2011

The current temperature is 46 and it feels like 46. Highs will continue to range between 46 and 66 with lows between 24 and 46. As I said, no rain is expected over the next couple of days. Going into January, it may not be as cold as I had once thought. January looks to be mild with some cold shots, but temperatures will rebound after that. It looks like now that the significant pattern change won't come until February. We may see the blocking come back in February, too. This just my opinion of what we may see down the road. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 44, but it feels like 39. Todays high is 64 with a low of 38. Saturdays high is 63. Hope yall are having a great Friday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Cold this morning, slight chance of rain Sunday, and then sunny/cold

By: JohnnyParker, 12:34 PM GMT on December 29, 2011

The current temperature is 29 and it feels like 29. Highs will continue to range between 47 and 67 with lows between 28 and 48. There is a 30% chance of a few showers on Sunday. Rainfall will range between .10 to .15. After that, our first big cold wave of the winter season comes in. Highs will be in the 40s to mid 50s with lows in the upper 20s to mid 30s. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 30 and it feels like 30. Todays high is 59 with a low of 40. Fridays high is 64. Hope yall are having a great Thursday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Sunny the next few days, showers Sunday, then sunshine returns

By: JohnnyParker, 11:38 AM GMT on December 28, 2011

The current temperature is 31 and it feels like 31. Highs will continue to range between 46 and 63 with lows between 27 and 44. There is a 40% chance of showers on Sunday. At this time, no severe weather is expected. Rainfall will be less than half an inch. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 32 and it feels like 32. Todays high is 52 with a low of 32. Thursdays high is 58. Hope yall are having a great Wednesday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

No rain over the next couple of days, cold/windy across the South today

By: JohnnyParker, 12:04 PM GMT on December 27, 2011

The current temperature is 45, but it feels like 39. Highs will continue to range between 51 and 66 with lows between 31 and 48. There is a 30% chance of am showers/wind this morning. Winds will be out of the West at 20 to 30mph with gusts between 35 to near 40mph. A 60% chance of showers is in the forecast for next Sunday. Total rainfall from yesterday was likely over one inch, possibly even 2 inches, for my area. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 45, but it feels like 38. Todays high is 52 and a low of 30 with a 30% chance of am showers/wind. Wednesdays high is 49. Hope yall are having a great Tuesday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Heavy rain/flash flood threat across the South today into tonight

By: JohnnyParker, 11:28 AM GMT on December 26, 2011

The current temperature is 39 and it feels like 39. Highs will continue to range between 49 and 62 with lows between 31 and 46. There is a 100% chance of rain today and a 100% chance of heavy rain tonight with 1-2 inches of rain expected. No severe weather is anticipated except maybe along the Gulf Coast. On Tuesday, there is a 30% chance of am showers/wind. Winds on Tuesday will be out of the West at 15 to 25mph with higher gusts. After Tuesday, no more rain is in the forecast until next Sunday. There is a 30% chance of a few showers that day. What a difference a year makes. Around this time, in 2010, I was talking about a upcoming severe weather/heavy rain potential on New Years Day. Well, its a good thing that I'm not predicting any severe weather on new years day. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 39, but it feels like 35. Todays high is 49 with a 100% chance of rain. Tonights low is 43 with a 100% chance of heavy rain. Tuesdays high is 46 with a 50% chance of am showers. Hope each of you had a great Christmas and I'll have another post tomorrow. Have a great day! Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Rain today through Tuesday, Merry Christmas!

By: JohnnyParker, 11:11 AM GMT on December 25, 2011

First of all, I would like to wish each of you a Merry Christmas! The current temperature is 43 and it feels like 43. Highs will continue to range between 51 and 62 with lows between 30 and 46. There is a 70% chance of rain today and Monday. There is a 50% chance of showers on Tuesday. Main threats will be heavy rain and flash flooding. Rainfall amounts between half an inch to 4 inches will be common across Mississippi and the rest of the South. Isolated areas may get more than 4 inches. The severe weather threat will be mainly across the Gulf Coast, but I cannot rule out a few strong to severe storms. Main threats being small hail and gusty winds with isolated tornadoes possible. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 43 and it feels like 43. Todays high is 55 and a low of 38 with a 60% chance of showers. Mondays high is 52 with a 70% chance of rain. Hope yall are having a wonderful Christmas and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Sunny today, Rain returns Sunday/Monday, and a look into January 2012

By: JohnnyParker, 6:32 PM GMT on December 24, 2011

The current temperature is 47, but it feels like 45. Highs will continue to range between 53 and 63 with lows between 35 and 45. There is a 30% chance of showers late tonight. There is a 50% chance of showers Sunday and a 60% chance on Monday. This is only going to be a heavy rain event with localized flooding possible. While strong to severe storms are not out of the question, they will occur mainly along the Gulf Coast. Rainfall amounts between half an inch to as much as 4 inches may occur across the South. Isolated areas may get more than 4 inches. This may lead to flash flooding in some areas. No white christmas this year. As we get into January, the weather pattern may get more interesting. The NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) may go neutral and even negative for a period of time. This may lead to a blocking pattern and more cold air across the nation. For the South, this may mean some ice and maybe even some snow. Now, all this depends on how much cold air comes down and how much moisture is available. This is just my take on what may happen as we get into next month. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 45, but it feels like 41. Todays high is 53. Tonights low is 38 with a 30% chance of showers late. Sundays high is 55 with a 30% chance of a few showers. I hope each of you have a great Christmas Eve and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Quiet weather for the most part with the exception of showers Sunday

By: JohnnyParker, 11:59 AM GMT on December 23, 2011

The current temperature is 46, but it feels like 43. Highs will continue to range between 50 and 62 with lows between 34 and 41. There is a 50% chance of showers on Sunday, but nothing major. After that, sunshine returns with the next rain chance coming in next Friday and Saturday. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 46, but it feels like 41. Todays high is 47 with a low of 33. Saturdays high is 52. Hope yall are having a great Friday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Heavy rain, severe weather, and flash flooding today across the South

By: JohnnyParker, 11:27 AM GMT on December 22, 2011

The current temperature is 48 and it feels like 48. Highs will continue to range between 54 and 59 with lows between 33 and 42. There is a 100% chance of rain/thunder today. For South MS and Central/Southern Alabama: severe weather is likely, along with heavy rainfall and flash flooding. Main threats will be tornadoes, large hail, and damaging winds. For North MS over into Northern Alabama: our main threat looks to be heavy rain and flash flooding. Rainfall amounts between 1-4 inches with locally 4+ inches is likely. Our severe weather threat looks to be minimal. However, I cannot rule out a strong to severe storm or two. Main threats will be small hail, gusty winds, and isolated tornadoes. Remember if you come to a flooded roadway, turn around, don't drown! At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 47, but it feels like 44. Todays high is 51 and a low of 40 with a 100% chance of rain/thunder. Fridays high is 50. Hope yall are having a great Thursday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Some rain today, next big rain/severe threat Thursday

By: JohnnyParker, 12:04 PM GMT on December 21, 2011

The current temperature is 57 and it feels like 57. Highs will continue to range between 52 and 62 with lows between 33 and 50. There is a 30% chance of am showers this morning. There is a 60% chance of showers late tonight. On Thursday, there is a 90% chance of thunderstorms. Main threats will be heavy rain of 1-2 inches with locally 3+ inches, flash flooding, large hail, damaging winds, and isolated tornadoes. Timing of the heaviest rain will be around lunchtime into the afternoon hours. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 52 and it feels like 52. Todays high is 60. Tonights low is 48 with a 60% chance of thundershower late. On Thursday, theres a 90% chance of thunderstorms. Hope yall are having a great Wednesday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Strong to severe storms today, and then more rain Thursday

By: JohnnyParker, 11:34 AM GMT on December 20, 2011

The current temperature is 55 and it feels like 55. Highs will continue to remain between 48 and 70 with lows between 28 and 56. There is an 80% chance of pm thunderstorms today and an 80% chance of thunderstorms tonight. A few storms could be strong to severe with the main threats being hail up the size of quarters, damaging winds up to 60mph, and isolated tornadoes. Secondary threats will be heavy rain between 1-3 inches and possible flash flooding. Timing of this will be from 11am this morning to 10am Wednesday morning. The heavy to severe thunderstorms will occur between 2pm to 10pm. On Wednesday, there is a 50% chance of am showers. On Thursday, there is an 80% chance of thunderstorms. Again, a few storms could be strong to severe. I believe that our main threat on Thursday besides potential severe storms will be heavy rain and flash flooding. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 54 and it feels like 54. Todays high is 68 and a low of 54 with an 80% chance of thunderstorms. Wednesdays high is 58. Hope yall are having a great Tuesday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Warm today, storms Tuesday, and then cools down

By: JohnnyParker, 12:24 PM GMT on December 19, 2011

The current temperature is 35 and it feels like 35. Highs will continue to range between 52 and 68 with lows between 29 and 53. There is an 80% chance of pm thunderstorms on Tuesday and then a 70% chance of rain on Thursday. On Tuesdays, storms could be strong to severe with the main threats being small hail and damaging winds with an isolated tornado threat. Secondary threats will be heavy rain and flash flooding. Rainfall amounts will range from half an inch to near 1 inch. I suspect that we could also have a decent severe weather outbreak. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 36 and it feels like 36. Todays high is 60 with a low of 46. Tuesdays high is 66 with an 80% chance of thunderstorms. Hope yall are having a good Monday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Warming up through Tuesday, severe weather Tuesday

By: JohnnyParker, 9:49 PM GMT on December 18, 2011

The current temperature is 56 and it feels like 56. Highs will continue to range between 48 and 72 with lows between 29 and 50. There is a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms on Tuesday. I believe that there could be a decent severe weather outbreak with this front. Main threats will be large hail, damaging winds, and isolated tornadoes. Secondary threats will be heavy rain and flash flooding. On Thursday, there is a 50% chance of showers. On Saturday and Sunday both, there is a 30% chance of a few showers. Hope yall are having a great Sunday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

cool weather/sunshine returns, storms Tuesday, and a White Christmas?

By: JohnnyParker, 11:57 AM GMT on December 17, 2011

The current temperature is 35, but it feels like 29. Highs will continue to range between 54 and 67 with lows between 32 and 47. On Tuesday, there is a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Some storms could be strong to severe with the main threats being large hail and damaging winds. Secondary threats will be heavy rain and flash flooding. There is a 40% chance of showers next Friday. Now, on Christmas day, I know that in my official winter outlook that I said that I believed that we were going to have another white christmas. Well, as of now, it does not look like we are going to see one. The forecast now calls for a high of 55 and a low of 35 with a 40% chance of showers. Don't get your hopes up yet! This could change as time goes on, but given the fact that the NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) is still positive and that we still do not have the Greenland Block, it looks like that we wont have one this year. Maybe next year, perhaps. I'll have another update on the white christmas later on. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 32 and it feels like 32. Todays high is 52 with a low of 31. Sundays high is 58. Hope yall are having a great Saturday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Cool today/tomorrow, warms up again, severe weather potential next week

By: JohnnyParker, 12:55 PM GMT on December 16, 2011

The current temperature is 50 and it feels like 50. Highs will continue to range between 51 and 67 with lows between 31 and 50. There is a 70% chance of rain today. On Tuesday of next week, there is a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms. There is the potential for a severe weather outbreak Monday night into Tuesday. I'll have more on this threat later on. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 47, but it feels like 41. Todays high is 46 and a low of 32 with a 70% chance of rain/wind. Winds will be out of the North at 15 to 25mph. Saturdays high is 54. Hope yall are having a great Friday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Rain today/Friday across the South, turns cooler, severe weather next week

By: JohnnyParker, 1:24 PM GMT on December 15, 2011

The current temperature is 62 and it feels like 62. Highs will continue to range between 53 and 71 with lows between 32 and 51. There is a 60% chance of rain today. There is an 70% chance tonight and a 70% chance tomorrow. Little to no severe weather is expected with this. Although, thunder will be possible. There is potential for another round of storms next week. This one looks like it will be a severe weather producer across the South. I'll have more on this potential threat later on. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 62 and it feels like 62. Todays high is 68 with a 60% chance of showers. Tonights low is 48 with a 70% chance of rain. Tomorrows high is 49 with a 70% chance of rain. Hope yall are having a great Thursday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Warm today, rain Thursday/Friday, and Dense Fog

By: JohnnyParker, 11:24 AM GMT on December 14, 2011

The current temperature is 43 and it feels like 43. Dense Fog Advisory is in effect for North MS until 8am this morning. Highs will continue to range between 55 and 72. On Thursday, there is a 60% chance of thundershowers. On Friday, there is a 50% chance of showers. A few storms could be strong to severe with the main threats being small hail and gusty winds. Secondary threats are heavy rain and flash flooding. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 41 and it feels like 41. Todays high is 70. Tonights low is 56 with a 30% chance of showers late. Thursdays high is 66 with a 60% chance of thundershowers. Hope yall are having a great Wednesday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Rain moves in Thursday

By: JohnnyParker, 11:25 AM GMT on December 13, 2011

The current temperature is 49, but it feels like 47. Highs will continue to range between 56 and 71 with lows between 33 and 56. Rain returns Thursday through Saturday. Precipitation chances will range between 30% to 50%. A few storms could be strong to severe on Thursday with the main threats being large hail and damaging winds. Secondary threats being heavy rain and flash flooding. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 49, but it feels like 47. Todays high is 59 with a low of 46. Wednesdays high is 68. Hope yall are having a great Tuesday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Warming up, Rain Thursday/Friday

By: JohnnyParker, 11:24 AM GMT on December 12, 2011

The current temperature is 37, but it feels like 33. Highs will continue to range between 54 and 70 with lows between 38 and 55. Precipitation chances for both Thursday and Friday will be between 40% and 50%. While I am not expecting a significant severe weather outbreak, a few storms could still be strong to severe with the main threats being large hail and damaging winds. Secondary threats will be heavy rain and flash flooding. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 32 and it feels like 32. Todays high is 53 with a low of 38. Tuesdays high is 60. Hope yall are having a good Monday and I'll have another update tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Cold this morning, warming up, and potential for severe weather/heavy rain

By: JohnnyParker, 1:03 PM GMT on December 11, 2011

The current temperature is 24 and it feels like 24. Highs will continue to range between 55 and 70 with lows between 33 and 55. Rain returns Thursday and will continue through next Tuesday. Precipitation chances will be between 30% to 60%. If we are going to see any severe weather, it will be on Thursday. I do not expect a significant severe weather outbreak with this at this time, but a few storms could be strong to severe. The main threats will be large hail and damaging winds. Secondary threats will be heavy rain and flash flooding. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 22, but it feels like 13. Todays high is 52 with a low of 29. Mondays high is 55. Hope yall are having a great Sunday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Updated: 1:04 PM GMT on December 11, 2011

Permalink

Cool/sunny weather over the next couple of days; rain returns Thursday

By: JohnnyParker, 1:34 PM GMT on December 10, 2011

The current temperature is 32, but it feels like 26. A Special Weather Statement is in effect for North MS concerning Freezing fog. Highs will continue to range between 50 and 67 with lows between 25 and 47. No rain until Thursday and Friday. Precipitation chances are between 40% and 60% for both days. A few storms could be strong to severe on Thursday with the main threats being large hail and damaging winds. As of now, I do not believe that this will be a major outbreak of severe weather. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 33, but it feels like 25. Todays high is 47 with a low of 25. Sundays high is 51. Hope yall are having a great Saturday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Sunshine through next Wednesday, rain returns late next week

By: JohnnyParker, 11:25 AM GMT on December 09, 2011

The current temperature is 25 and it feels like 25. A Special Weather Statement is in effect concerning freezing fog this morning for North MS. Highs will continue to range between 51 and 68 with lows between 26 and 48. Rain returns Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of next week. Precipitation chances will be between 40% and 60%. No severe weather is expected at this time. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 24 and it feels like 24. Todays high is 53 with a low of 29. Saturdays high is 47. Hope yall are having a great Friday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Cool and sunny over the next couple of days

By: JohnnyParker, 11:45 AM GMT on December 08, 2011

The current temperature is 26 and it feels like 26. A Freezing Fog Advisory is in effect until 10am Thursday. A Special Weather Statement is also in effect concerning the freezing fog. Highs will continue to range between 49 and 63 with lows between 27 and 43. No rain until next Thursday and Friday. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 27 and it feels like 27. Todays high is 49 with a low of 28. Fridays high is 53. Hope yall are having a wonderful Thursday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Cool weather settles in over the next couple of days; a mix of rain/snow

By: JohnnyParker, 11:30 AM GMT on December 07, 2011

The current temperature is 38, but it feels like 32. Highs will continue to range between 43 and 59 with lows between 26 and 40. A Winter Weather Advisory is now in effect for North MS until 12pm Wednesday. Snow accumulations between 1-2 inches with isolated amounts of 3 inches. Some snow may accumulate on roads. There is a 50% chance today of am rain/snow showers. From my perspective, I say no accumulation for my area. Now for areas farther north than I am like in Booneville, MS, I can see some accumulation of snow. Reasons being we have already had over an inch to 2 inches of rain on Monday, so the ground is still wet. Secondly, temperatures are above freezing. These are two of the main reasons why I say no accumulations. If temperatures continue to drop, yes, I can see accumulations. As of now, I say NO accumulations! At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 37, but it feels like 32. Todays high is 41 and a low of 26 with a 50% chance of am rain/snow showers. Thursdays high is 51 and sunny. Hope yall have a great Wednesday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Rain returns Wednesday, turns cool and sunny after that

By: JohnnyParker, 11:30 AM GMT on December 06, 2011

The current temperature is 41, but it feels like 35. Highs will continue to range between 46 and 58 with lows between 26 and 38. It will be mostly cloudy today with a slight chance of patchy drizzle or two across North MS. There is a 40% chance of showers tonight and a 60% chance of am showers Wednesday. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 40, but it feels like 34. Todays high is 46 with a 20% chance of patchy drizzle. Tonights low is 36 with a 40% chance of showers. Wednesdays high is 45 with a 50% chance of am showers. There is potential that snow or sleet may mix in. No accumulations are expected. Hope yall are having a great Tuesday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Heavy rain today/tonight across the South, turns cooler for a couple of days

By: JohnnyParker, 11:38 AM GMT on December 05, 2011

The current temperature is 62 and it feels like 62. Highs will continue to range between 49 and 66 with lows between 28 and 44. Flood Watch continues to be in effect until 12am Tuesday. Rainfall amounts between 1-3 inches with isolated amounts of 4+ inches. There is a 70% chance of rain/thunder today and an 80% chance of rain/thunder tonight. On Tuesday, there is a 50% chance of showers with a 30% chance of a few showers Wednesday. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 63 and it feels like 63. Todays high is 66 with a 70% chance of rain/thunder. Tonights low is 41 with a 90% chance of rain. Tuesdays high is 48 with a 30% chance of a few showers. Hope yall are having a good Monday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Heavy rain/flooding threat across the South

By: JohnnyParker, 10:38 PM GMT on December 04, 2011

The current temperature is 68 and it feels like 68. Highs will continue to range between 49 and 66 with lows between 30 and 53. There is a 30% chance of showers tonight. On Monday, there is a 70% chance of rain. Monday night, there is an 80% chance of rain/thunder. On Tuesday, there is a 60% chance of showers. There is a 30% chance of a few showers Wednesday, too. A Flood Watch continues until 6am Tuesday morning. Rainfall amounts between 2 to 4 inches with isolated amounts of more than 4 inches will be likely through Monday night. A few storms could be strong to severe with the main threats being small hail and gusty winds. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 67 and it feels like 67. Tonights low is 54 with a 50% chance of showers. Mondays high is 59 with a 70% chance of rain. Monday nights low is 43 with a 90% chance of rain/thunder. Hope yall are having a great Sunday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

My Official Winter Forecast

By: JohnnyParker, 6:23 PM GMT on December 03, 2011

Here is my offical winter forecast. So far, our La Nina has been relatively weak. After an unusual and rare snow across parts of the south at the end of November, the question remains: What will this winter hold for us across the South? Well, I believe that we will have some chance of a white christmas. Let me point out that my thoughts in this happening are lower than last winter, but I still believe we have a chance. So far, we have had a positive NAO and no blocking. I believe that our winter across the South will be a mild winter and not has cold as last winter. If we can get a negative NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) and the blocking, that will send more cold farther south and some chances for winter precipitation. Looking in the long range, that is what may happen by the middle to late part of December. Going into January, North MS and other parts of the South may see more ice than snow. Temperatures for December through February look to be above average. I'm not sure that I agree with this just yet, but I can see it happening. Going into February, the South will begin to see more in the way of severe weather. March looks to be an active month for severe weather, too. As of now, I do not believe that we will see a very active pattern in severe weather as we saw last spring. In saying that, those that were hit hard by severe weather last spring across the South will be extremely sensitive to any severe weather outbreak between February and March. All this depends on how strong the La Nina gets and how long the blocking continues. This is only my opinion of how this winter may occur. I will be doing an outlook for the severe weather in the spring probably at the beginning of February. I'll have another post tomorrow.

Updated: 6:30 PM GMT on December 03, 2011

Permalink

Heavy rain and flash flooding possible Monday through Tuesday

By: JohnnyParker, 5:06 PM GMT on December 03, 2011

The current temperature is 58 and it feels like 58. A Flood Watch is in effect for North MS until 6am Tuesday morning. Rainfall amounts between 2-6 inches with isolated amounts up to 8 inches are possible. Highs will continue to range between 47 and 68 with lows between 26 and 53. Our severe weather threat with this will be minimal, but a few storms could still be strong to severe with the main threats being small hail and damaging winds. The Flood Watch could be upgraded to a Flash Flood Watch as time goes on. Timing of the this rain will be late Sunday through Tuesday with the heaviest rain occurring Sunday evening through late Monday night. As of now, there is only a 50% chance of showers on both Monday and Tuesday. I would suspect that these precipitation chances will increase to 70 or 80% as time goes on. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 57 and it feels like 57. Todays high is 61 with a low of 48. Sundays high is 66 with a 40% chance of pm showers. Hope yall are having a great Saturday and I'll have another post later today. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Flood Watch now in effect for North MS

By: JohnnyParker, 12:28 AM GMT on December 03, 2011

The National Weather Service has issued a Flood Watch until 6am Tuesday morning. Rainfall amounts between 3-6 inches with isolated amounts up to 8 inches will fall Sunday morning through late Monday night across West Tennessee and North Mississippi. I'll have another post tomorrow.

Permalink

Warming up, heavy rain and flash flooding possible next week

By: JohnnyParker, 11:39 AM GMT on December 02, 2011

The current temperature is 27 and it feels like 27. Highs will continue to range between 43 and 67 with lows between 29 and 52. Rain returns Sunday through Wednesday. The front that will push through will be slow-moving. Heavy rain and flash flooding is a main concern with this front. Our severe weather threat looks to be minimal with this, but there could still be a few strong to severe storms. Main threats will be small hail and damaging winds. Between 2-4 inches of rain are possible with isolated areas getting 5-6 inches+. A flash flood watch could be issued by Saturday or Sunday. I am discontinuing the tropical updates until June 1, 2012. If anything significant happens in the Atlantic, I'll do a special update. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 28 and it feels like 28. Todays high is 60 with a low of 36. Saturdays high is 64. Hope yall are having a wonderful Friday and I'll have another post tomorrow. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

Cold this morning, warming up, and watching the Atlantic

By: JohnnyParker, 11:35 AM GMT on December 01, 2011

The current temperature is 24 and it feels like 24. Highs will continue to range between 45 and 63 with lows between 30 and 54. Rain is in the forecast for Sunday and Monday. Precipitation chances will be between 30% to 50% both days. Now, for your tropical update. In the Atlantic, we are monitoring a low pressure system for potential development. The first is a low pressure system located about 500 miles south-southeast of Bermuda is producing an area of gale-force winds north and east of the center. While the associated shower activity has become a little more concentrated during the past few hours, upper-level winds are not favorable for significant development, and the low is expected to merge with a cold front during the next day or two. The National Hurricane Center is giving this system a 20% chance of becoming a subtropical cyclone during the next 48 hours as it moves northward at 15 to 20mph. Elsewhere across the Atlantic, no development is predicted over the next couple of days. In the Eastern Pacific, same thing with no development predicted over the next couple of days. At the Regional Rehabe Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 26 and it feels like 26. Todays high is 56 with a low of 30. Fridays high is 61. Hope yall are having a great Thursday and I'll have another post tomorrow morning. Continue to pray for the tornado victims and those affected by damaging weather events.

Permalink

About JohnnyParker

I am Johnny Parker and I am 19. I have studied the weather since I was 5. I have cerebral palsy and my goal is to become a meteorologist.