North Sea storm spares England and the Netherlands

By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 1:35 PM GMT on November 09, 2007

A massive fall storm over Europe's North Sea generated winds near hurricane force last night that pushed a dangerous storm surge near 1.5 meters (4.65 feet) in height to the southeastern English coast this morning. The storm surge was much lower than originally feared, due in part to the fact it did not hit at high tide. The surge did breach sea defenses and caused some minor coastal flooding in England. It was feared that the storm might rival the great North Sea Flood of 1953 that breached the dikes in the Netherlands. Over 2,000 people died in northern Europe in that storm, mostly in the Netherlands. While today's storm did not approach the 1953 storm in severity, it did bring the highest storm surge seen in the past 20 years to the North Sea. The massive flood gates that protect the Dutch port of Rotterdam were closed for the first time since they were constructed in the 1990s. From early media accounts, the gates did their job admirably, protecting the Netherlands from inundation. Water levels reached 3.16 meters above mean sea level in the southern Netherlands, and 3.40 meters above sea level in the northern Netherlands, with no flooding reported. The floods of 1953 saw Dutch waters rise to 3.85 meters (12.6 ft) above sea level. Today's storm was not the remains of Hurricane Noel, which is currently over northern Canada.

Figure 1. Visible satellite image of Europe from 1322 GMT November 8, 2007. A powerful 975 mb low pressure system centered north of England ("L" on the image) was pushing a strong cold front southwards towards Western Europe. Image credit: University of Bern, Switzerland.

Figure 2. Forecast waves heights at 6am Greenwich time, Friday November 9, 2007, as predicted by NOAA's Wavewatch III model.

Tropical update
An area of disturbed weather over the extreme southern Caribbean, near Panama, is under about 20 knots of wind shear. The computer forecast models are predicting that some development of this region may occur by Sunday, when wind shear is expected to fall below 20 knots. However, the models are less keen on this prospect than yesterday. Any system that might form is expected to move westward and affect Costa Rica and Nicaragua.

I'll have an update Monday morning, unless there's some new development this weekend.

Jeff Masters

Gales at the Butt (kevindonner)
Storm force winds made taking a good picture difficult, as the lence of the camara got salt on it.
Gales at the Butt

or Join

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19Blog Index

821. tiggeriffic
3:54 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
here is a trick to painting pine...between coats let it dry really good and rub it with a brown paper bag, like you are sanding it. It will take the grain of the wood right back down without leaving the scratches that sand paper does
820. zoomiami
3:54 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
I loved it when the kids were little, and then I loved it when they were teenagers. Its still hard to get use to them being all grown up.
819. tiggeriffic
3:53 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
nope, and even tho I am exhausted most days...I wouldn't have it any other way!
818. zoomiami
3:52 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Pine - its a 175 gallon tank - we use it as a divider between two rooms. I stained it mahogny the other day - but it made the room too dark, so then I had to prime it & repaint in the color of the walls. Always a mission.
817. zoomiami
3:50 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Don't you love it - I was just talking about cat food soup! My kids use to love to dump the cat food into the water bowl - eww...

Lots of days I miss the little ones, but then there are days where I remember all the work.

I know you don't get to sit down from the time he gets up until he goes to bed.
816. tiggeriffic
3:51 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
What is the base of your fish tank made out of?
815. tiggeriffic
3:50 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
most of them were on Geek's blog earlier
814. tiggeriffic
3:47 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Last time I let Andy help me feed the dog...he poured the whole bag of food into the water dish...full of water...I figured it is easier to do it myself for a little while longer... and don't want him to clean the bird cage yet...but he does sweep around the cage for me and clean up their spillage from the seeds... I usually have to sweep the rest of the house by the time he is done tracking it and spilling it everywhere but he thinks he is helping...
813. zoomiami
3:47 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Where do you suppose everyone went today? There's been like 15 posts the whole day.
812. tiggeriffic
3:46 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
don't worry, it is hard to keep track of other's when you don't have time to keep track of yourself! :0)
811. zoomiami
3:45 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 birds, and saltwater tank - I do most of the yelling - but everybody has to help. Delegating is my speciality!
810. zoomiami
3:44 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
See - I'm brain dead - you talked about that last night :} That's a full plate you've got there.
809. tiggeriffic
3:44 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
We have fish, 2 parakeets and a dog...guess who takes care of all of em? never mind...you already know!
808. tiggeriffic
3:42 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
yep, I work at the preschool Andy goes to... I am the Art Teacher there...work 40 per week plus all the rest of the mom, wife, mrs fixit, house keeper, cook, and chief bottle washer...I need a raise! roflmao
807. zoomiami
3:42 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
just the base - the fish like to look out too!
806. tiggeriffic
3:41 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
if you paint it, how will you see the fish??? LOL
805. zoomiami
3:40 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
do you work in addition to all the mayhem you deal with on a regular basis?
804. zoomiami
3:38 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
I'm the fix it person too - generally I enjoy doing it, except when I get stressed because there are too many projects. Latest is painting the fish tank - its only been plain pine for two years... lol
803. tiggeriffic
3:35 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
lol...my next big project is replacing the molding and door in the hall bath...no one to help me on that one...unfortunately I am the carpenter...and I have a few items I have commissioned I need to paint within a week or so
802. zoomiami
3:35 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
My older son would only call when he needed something - money, directions, recipes, etc. My daughter was good, talked to her often.
801. zoomiami
3:33 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
working on projects that needed done - doesn't seem like they will ever get finished. Kids mostly hid in their bedroom - didn't want to get roped in!
800. tiggeriffic
3:33 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
so far so good, other than the threatening 3's hitting and the 18 year old forgetting we exist since he left for college...LOL
799. tiggeriffic
3:31 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
know the feeling...M-I-L still moving...Andy a crank pot...tried to clean house and do laundry to no avail...oh well...LOL
798. zoomiami
3:31 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
how are the boys?
797. zoomiami
3:30 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
hanging out for a few minutes - been a busy day
796. Hurricaneblast
3:28 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
definate eye forming now in severe tropical storm 06B
795. tiggeriffic
3:27 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
not too bad zoo, what about you?
794. zoomiami
3:17 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Hey tigger - how are you?
793. tiggeriffic
3:09 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
anyone still here?
792. zoomiami
2:48 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Hello - anyone around this evening?
791. MrSea
9:06 PM EST on November 11, 2007
hello hello...looks like i came in too late
790. MrSea
8:47 PM EST on November 11, 2007

789. MrSea
8:38 PM EST on November 11, 2007

Check out the bottom right
788. extreme236
1:32 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
BBL
787. HadesGodWyvern (Mod)
1:25 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Here is the latest bulletin...

DEEP DEPRESSION BOB 09/2007
10.5ºN 91.5ºE - 30 knots (3 min sustained winds)

Tropical Cyclone Bulletin #3
========================
The depression over southeast Bay of Bengal and adjoining Andaman Sea has intensified into a deep depression and moved northwest. The deep depression lays centered as of 18:00 UTC at 10.5N 91.5E or 200 kms southwest of Port Blair. The system is likely to intensify further and move in a northwest direction.

Under its influence, rain/thundershowers at most places with heavy to very heavy falls at a few places and isolated extremely heavy falls ( 25 cm or more ) are likely over Andaman and Nicobar Islands during next 48 hours.

Squally winds speed reaching 55 km/h with gust up to 65 km/h are likely over Andaman and Nicobar Islands and adjoining sea areas during next 48 hours. Sea condition is very rough to high around the system centre. Fishermen are advised not to venture into the sea during the next 48 hours.
786. beell
1:26 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
775. FloridaRick 1:05 AM GMT on November 12, 2007

FR, Maybe too late and not that clever but how bout...
"I may not know too much about Meterology, but I know what I like.."
(ba dump bump)

785. extreme236
1:26 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Well if winds are currently at 55 km/h, then according their category scale, it only needs to reach 62 km/h to reach Cyclonic Storm status
784. HadesGodWyvern (Mod)
1:23 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
yup and surprisingly the IMD has it stronger than 05A (ARB 02/2007).

The new bulletin has the sustained winds at 55 km/h while they only had 05A as strong as 45 km/h.
783. extreme236
1:19 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
So Hades I see 06B is strengthening...looks like we might actually see the third named storm
782. HadesGodWyvern (Mod)
1:17 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
Japan Meteorological Agency

TROPICAL STORM TAPAH (T0722)
22.2ºN 142.3ºE - 35 knots 998 hPa

Tropical Cyclone Advisory #5
===============================
At 9:00 am JST, Tropical Depression intensified into a tropical storm and was named "Tapah". The cyclone has 10 min sustained winds of 35 knots with gusts up to 50 knots and is reported moving northeast at 12 knots.

Expected sustained winds at 0000z 13Nov is 35 knots.
781. extreme236
1:16 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
TD 22W is now TS Tapah according to the JMA
777. Weather456
9:08 PM AST on November 11, 2007
have to go
776. Weather456
9:03 PM AST on November 11, 2007
how about

Australia warned to brace itself for active cyclone season

or

National Meteorological Services celebrate their 150th anniversary in 2004
775. FloridaRick
1:04 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
All righty then...I need to sogn off to figure out a clever meteo opening for a news cast.
773. FloridaRick
1:01 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
how 'bout you 456
772. Weather456
8:59 PM AST on November 11, 2007
2 morrow i will also post a 24 hour GIF loop of the Black Sea Storm.
771. FloridaRick
12:58 AM GMT on November 12, 2007
JF My son has a question in homework assignment that I need help with. I need a Clever opening for a meteorological news report

About JeffMasters

Jeff co-founded the Weather Underground in 1995 while working on his Ph.D. He flew with the NOAA Hurricane Hunters from 1986-1990.