North Sea storm spares England and the Netherlands

By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 1:35 PM GMT on November 09, 2007

A massive fall storm over Europe's North Sea generated winds near hurricane force last night that pushed a dangerous storm surge near 1.5 meters (4.65 feet) in height to the southeastern English coast this morning. The storm surge was much lower than originally feared, due in part to the fact it did not hit at high tide. The surge did breach sea defenses and caused some minor coastal flooding in England. It was feared that the storm might rival the great North Sea Flood of 1953 that breached the dikes in the Netherlands. Over 2,000 people died in northern Europe in that storm, mostly in the Netherlands. While today's storm did not approach the 1953 storm in severity, it did bring the highest storm surge seen in the past 20 years to the North Sea. The massive flood gates that protect the Dutch port of Rotterdam were closed for the first time since they were constructed in the 1990s. From early media accounts, the gates did their job admirably, protecting the Netherlands from inundation. Water levels reached 3.16 meters above mean sea level in the southern Netherlands, and 3.40 meters above sea level in the northern Netherlands, with no flooding reported. The floods of 1953 saw Dutch waters rise to 3.85 meters (12.6 ft) above sea level. Today's storm was not the remains of Hurricane Noel, which is currently over northern Canada.

Figure 1. Visible satellite image of Europe from 1322 GMT November 8, 2007. A powerful 975 mb low pressure system centered north of England ("L" on the image) was pushing a strong cold front southwards towards Western Europe. Image credit: University of Bern, Switzerland.

Figure 2. Forecast waves heights at 6am Greenwich time, Friday November 9, 2007, as predicted by NOAA's Wavewatch III model.

Tropical update
An area of disturbed weather over the extreme southern Caribbean, near Panama, is under about 20 knots of wind shear. The computer forecast models are predicting that some development of this region may occur by Sunday, when wind shear is expected to fall below 20 knots. However, the models are less keen on this prospect than yesterday. Any system that might form is expected to move westward and affect Costa Rica and Nicaragua.

I'll have an update Monday morning, unless there's some new development this weekend.

Jeff Masters

Gales at the Butt (kevindonner)
Storm force winds made taking a good picture difficult, as the lence of the camara got salt on it.
Gales at the Butt

or Join

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19Blog Index

221. groundswell
6:06 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
Rheingold if I had money, otherwise 7-11 beer
220. Patrap
12:05 PM CST on November 09, 2007
No..but link me a Pic..she grew up 40 miles Nw of me here.
219. Floodman
12:04 CST 09. November 2007
Dont let Britney Drive Bonedog!

*furiously trying to poke out my mind's eye*

Thanks, Pat
218. NEwxguy
6:04 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
216. Patrap 6:04 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
Drink Responsively and Dont let Britney Drive Bonedog!

speaking of which,did you see her new car??
217. Floodman
12:03 CST 09. November 2007
207. Patrap 11:59 CST 09. November 2007
Enjoying a MAck-O in Tromso, in 84. Notice the Bandana ,isotoners,..and Robe,painters cap. Yup..hes from Nawlins.
Link

Patrap, it's an honor to know you...LOL
215. NEwxguy
6:03 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
have a great weekend bone
214. Floodman
12:02 CST 09. November 2007
Peace, Bone! Take care of yourself...
213. Floodman
11:59 CST 09. November 2007
204. Bonedog 11:59 CST 09. November 2007
flood

Link

Link

Link

Leave it to my friend Bone to have not one, but three links to this apparently otstanding beer...I'm going to have to try this one, Bone...
212. NEwxguy
6:02 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
I guess we know where everyone's headed.
211. Bonedog
1:01 PM EST on November 09, 2007
its quiting time for me and a three day weekend to boot. See you all later
210. NEwxguy
5:57 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
lol,we've found a subject that has got everyone's interest.Nice job shadow you have put everyone in a good mood just in time for the weekend.
209. Bonedog
1:00 PM EST on November 09, 2007
LOL Pat
208. LakeShadow
6:00 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
Geez...can you tell its Friday?
207. Patrap
11:59 AM CST on November 09, 2007
Link
206. LakeShadow
5:58 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
205. Floodman
11:56 CST 09. November 2007
Okay, got to go to lunch, but I'll leave you with this:

Old Man Murphy

Old man Murphy had worked down at the brewery for years, but one day , he just wasn't paying attention and he tripped on the walkway and fell over into the beer vat and drowned. The foreman thought it should be his job to inform the widow Murphy of her old man's death. He showed up at the front door and rang the
bell. When she came to the door, he said, "I'm sorry to tell you, but poor old Murphy passed away at work today when he fell into the vat and drowned." She wept and covered her face with her apron and after a time, between sobs, she asked, "Tell me, did he suffer?" "I don't think so," said the foreman: "He got out three times to go to the men's room."

BBL
204. Bonedog
12:57 PM EST on November 09, 2007
flood

Link

Link

Link
203. Bonedog
12:56 PM EST on November 09, 2007
I would Flood its one of the better imported micros out there
202. Floodman
11:54 CST 09. November 2007
197. Bonedog 11:54 CST 09. November 2007
I did find a great microbrew from overseas. I belive Belgum.

Belezabuth. Devil on the label and its 13%. Rich color, tastes of oak and cinnimon with a clean finish

I'll have to look for that one...there's a Flying Saucer in Fort Worth where I retire occasionally to sample the brews of the world; if they don't have it perhaps I can prevail upon them to bring some in...
200. LakeShadow
5:53 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
what can one say about Purple Haze?

get yourself to a safe place...and for Gods sake...STAY POSITIVE!!!!
199. Patrap
11:53 AM CST on November 09, 2007
Surrender to da Haze. Abita Purple HAze..Link
198. Floodman
11:53 CST 09. November 2007
194. LakeShadow 11:52 CST 09. November 2007
187. Floodman 5:49 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
184. Bonedog 11:48 AM CST on November 09, 2007
Yea Flood I see the outflow channel shearing the beaver tail and thus causing the isentropic lift to cause the change over in the 850mb theta E from Labbat to Molsen

Precisely...get your mug ready...

And they all wonder why we like the weather so much...

You gotta love a good "brewery nor'easter"...
197. Bonedog
12:51 PM EST on November 09, 2007
I did find a great microbrew from overseas. I belive Belgum.

196. Floodman
11:51 CST 09. November 2007
191. Patrap 11:51 CST 09. November 2007
Many thanx to Abita Beer and Their Restoration Ale,..Burp!,.scuse.

Patrap, in my opinion, Abita makes one of the 5 best small brewery Ambers in the United States...the Restoration is outstanding, and what can one say about Purple Haze?
195. LakeShadow
5:52 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
Prosit!
194. LakeShadow
5:50 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
187. Floodman 5:49 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
184. Bonedog 11:48 AM CST on November 09, 2007

Precisely...get your mug ready...

And they all wonder why we like the weather so much...
193. Floodman
11:50 CST 09. November 2007
188. LakeShadow 11:50 CST 09. November 2007
yeah, beer tasting festivals are fun..I'm of Bavarian descent, so my anscesters are responsible for three great things: beer, chocolate and Oktoberfest. I'd like to think I make my anscesters proud.

Mittelfranken, me...some bavarian roots...bier, wurst und schokolade, liebling!
192. Bonedog
12:50 PM EST on November 09, 2007
there ya go Lake. Keeping it real
191. Patrap
11:47 AM CST on November 09, 2007
Many thanx to Abita Beer and Their Restoration Ale,..Burp!,.scuse.

Link

Can you describe the brew?
Fleur-de-lis Restoration Ale is made with English Pale, Lager, Crystal and Cara Pils malted barley. We liberally hopped and dry hopped our Ale with American Cascade and Centennial hops and fermented it with California Ale yeast. The result is a brilliant gold ale with a rich body, mild bitterness and a snappy fresh citrus hop flavor and aroma.
190. ShenValleyFlyFish
12:48 PM EST on November 09, 2007
As do mine, but I have a genetic floor, below which I shall not drink...LOL

No No NO I don't drink it no more I'm tired of waking up on the floor.
189. Bonedog
12:49 PM EST on November 09, 2007
187. Floodman 12:49 PM EST on November 09, 2007
184. Bonedog 11:48 AM CST on November 09, 2007

Precisely...get your mug ready...

;) one step ahead of ya. I dispatched a tanker truck with a very large funnel.
188. LakeShadow
5:48 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
187. Floodman
11:48 AM CST on November 09, 2007
184. Bonedog 11:48 AM CST on November 09, 2007

Precisely...get your mug ready...
186. LakeShadow
5:46 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
tends to seep into the groundwater...
185. Floodman
11:47 AM CST on November 09, 2007
182. LakeShadow 11:46 AM CST on November 09, 2007
yeah I'm a beer snob...its got to be Labatts, Molson, Carlsburg or Guiness. Non of that coors or bud crap allowed in this temple.

I've gone over to micro-brews...I like the local stuff...
184. Bonedog
12:46 PM EST on November 09, 2007
183. Floodman
11:46 AM CST on November 09, 2007
Mine tend to trend downward after the first tankard or so.

As do mine, but I have a genetic floor, below which I shall not drink...LOL
182. LakeShadow
5:44 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
181. ShenValleyFlyFish
12:41 PM EST on November 09, 2007

175. Floodman 12:41 PM EST on November 09, 2007 Hide this comment.
172. NEwxguy 11:36 AM CST on November 09, 2007
168. Floodman 5:33 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
167. ShenValleyFlyFish 11:31 CST 09. November 2007
161. LakeShadow 12:17 PM EST on November 09, 2007 its like Labatts Blue falling from the sky...

Quick run outside with a washtub

I'm waitin fer the Molson's, eh?

sheesh,free beer falling from the sky and you guys are complaining about the brand???

I'm a German...I have standards, you kow?

Mine tend to trend downward after the first tankard or so.
180. Floodman
11:45 AM CST on November 09, 2007
Lake, are calling us squirrels? LOL
179. Floodman
11:42 AM CST on November 09, 2007
174. Bonedog 11:38 AM CST on November 09, 2007
LOL Ne just another thing to complain about when its slow LOL :)

LOL..."Wait for it, Bone...it'll turn over to Molson's in about 20 minutes...convergence over the brewery will dump it here through the outflow...see, right here on the chart..."
178. LakeShadow
5:41 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
I tell you there's nothing funnier than drunken squirrels...
177. Bonedog
12:43 PM EST on November 09, 2007
at least noone said Bud or Bush or Coors
176. Bonedog
12:41 PM EST on November 09, 2007
roflmao :D you all a funny bunch :)~
175. Floodman
11:40 AM CST on November 09, 2007
172. NEwxguy 11:36 AM CST on November 09, 2007
168. Floodman 5:33 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
167. ShenValleyFlyFish 11:31 CST 09. November 2007

Quick run outside with a washtub

I'm waitin fer the Molson's, eh?

I'm a German...I have standards, you know?
174. Bonedog
12:37 PM EST on November 09, 2007
LOL Ne just another thing to complain about when its slow LOL :)
173. ShenValleyFlyFish
12:31 PM EST on November 09, 2007
165. Weather456 12:25 PM EST on November 09, 2007
Waves pounded the lighthouse in IJmuiden, the Netherlands on Thursday. (Marco de Swart/Reuters)

First glance I thought this was going to be a Leggo/PhotoShop deal. LOL Don't those folks know a lighthouse tower is supposed to be Round?
172. NEwxguy
5:35 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
168. Floodman 5:33 PM GMT on November 09, 2007
167. ShenValleyFlyFish 11:31 CST 09. November 2007

Quick run outside with a washtub

I'm waitin fer the Molson's, eh?

171. Patrap
11:35 AM CST on November 09, 2007
Live FerryCam,Algiers Point, New Orleans. Near Jackson Square..Link

About

Jeff co-founded the Weather Underground in 1995 while working on his Ph.D. He flew with the NOAA Hurricane Hunters from 1986-1990.

Overcast