'Noreaster Noel whips up high winds and huge waves

By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 1:50 PM GMT on November 04, 2007

'Noreaster Noel whipped past New England Saturday, bringing coastal flooding, heavy rains up to four inches, and numerous reports of downed trees and power lines. The top wind gust in the U.S. was 89 mph at Barnstable on Cape Cod. The highest sustained winds were measured on Nantucket Island--56 mph, gusting to 72. The highest wind gusts in Maine were 64 mph measured at Brooklin and Cutler. Acadia National Park had one of the highest rain fall totals, 4.2 inches, and up to three inches of snow was recorded in northwestern Maine. At the storm's peak, 43,000 people lost power in Massachusetts.

Huge waves up to 34 feet high were measured in Halifax Harbor in Nova Scotia, and waves up to 46 feet high were measured at the Georgian Bank buoy midway between Cape Cod and Nova Scotia. Top winds in Nova Scotia were 50 mph, gusting to 62 mph, measured at Brier Island between 4am and 6am this morning. The 'Noreaster is over the Gulf of St. Lawrence this morning, with a central pressure of 970 mb and sustained winds near 50 mph. The storm knocked out power to over 150,000 people in Nova Scotia.

Figure 1. Rainfall estimate for the six hours ending at 4am EST Sunday, 11/04/07. Rainfall amounts up to 3 inches (75 mm) were observed in extreme northeastern Nicaragua. Image credit: Navy Research Lab, Monterey.

Near-tropical depression hits Nicaragua and Honduras
A region of disturbed weather that was the southern portion of Hurricane Noel's rainy regime acquired a spin of its own, almost became a tropical depression, and has now moved inland near the Nicaragua/Honduras border. This disturbance (91L) is generating rains of up to three inches every six hours (Figure 1). Total rain rain amounts of 5-10 are possible in Nicaragua and Honduras along the path of 91L, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.

I'll have an update Monday morning.

Jeff Masters

Noel's Beach Erosion (Skyepony)
No big hits this year but ended the season at a 19 year low for sand. Caught in the gradent between highs up north & 'canes down south, with a handfull of invests/depressions come through.
Noel's Beach Erosion
Shredded foresail (AuroraB)
Shredded foresail
Broken free (AuroraB)
The remnants of hurricane Noel passed just east of us this afternoon. Narragansett Bay experienced sustained winds over 40 mph with gusts over 60 mph. Most sailors got their boats to safe harbor, but some were not so fortunate. Five boats broke free of their moorings in Dutch Harbor. Four of them ended up on the rocks. This one hit very hard
Broken free

or Join

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9Blog Index

313. ShenValleyFlyFish
9:02 PM EST on November 04, 2007
291. listenerVT 9:01 PM EST on November 04, 2007
Photography is one of my favourite hobbies, though, and I miss the simplicity of all-manual cameras. I sure do like the digital kind now, all the same. I have a Nikon D70, which has manual override, so that's the best of both worlds.

It's not so much the controls so much as the total dependence on electronics which worries me. Goes back before digital. If your batteries crap out you might as well flush the assignment. Did some hack work for a guy several years ago. Something was always fowling up. Got so I started packing my old FTN along. As long as there was light i could save the shoot. I bailed when he started giving us digital. No way to save the day and I wasn't about to shell out for a whole rig. Since i got this wizzbang computer i guess I'll have to bite the bullet. Still don't know to do about fowl weather used to shoot some of my best sports stuff in the rain. Wouldn't even think about a tropical storm. (See its blog related) ;~)
Member Since: September 9, 2007 Posts: 36 Comments: 4687
312. V26R
2:28 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
One more thing
If you want buy those underwater cameras
get the ones from Kodak that are good to 35 feet down) at home before you leave
Man they cost a bundle down there
310. Orcasystems
2:25 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
307. V26R 2:24 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
okay let me try this again
Orca been there in Late November
was rainy then
But you should be okay bring sunscreen
and use the buses
they're cheaper than the taxi's and will get you around just the same
Action: | Ignore User

Looking forward to it.. love to snorkle, and its suppose to be better then PV and HI.
If that fails.. will sit beside/in the pool and drink for 14 days.
309. V26R
2:24 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Just may have been Flood
Went back out that way after that and She
was gone
So who knows, especially with the wierd
brown tint that I cannot explain!
307. V26R
2:23 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
okay let me try this again
Orca been there in Late November
was rainy then
But you should be okay bring sunscreen
and use the buses
they're cheaper than the taxi's and will get you around just the same
306. Floodman
2:22 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
302. V26R 2:15 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Thanx Baja

Flood Teaser???

An 1812 war privateer that sailed out of NY; lost at sea in 1813 or so but seen occasionally since then...supposedly

sorry, head full of useless knowledge LOL
305. V26R
2:23 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
test
304. Orcasystems
2:16 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Is there anyone on from Cancun? I am going there and I have never been to the eastern side of Mexico befor, normally its the west coast. The websites I have found are not all that helpful about the weather in January?
302. V26R
2:14 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Thanx Baja

Flood Teaser???
301. BajaALemt
2:13 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
That's a gorgeous pic, V2 It has a really eerie quality about it
300. V26R
2:11 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Thanks Storm
Only really started taking Pix in ernest about a year ago
Not sure what type of ship The Ghost Ship
was but was out fishing on a foggy misty day
and she just popped out of the fog and couldn't resist
Not even sure how I got that Brownish tint
to the shot, but looks funky!
299. Floodman
2:12 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Hey V2, you got a pic of the "Teaser"!
295. V26R
2:02 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
I went out after it started clearing up here
and saw only one sailboat that broke
loose from its moorings
I took a shot of it and posted it with my other shots here
291. listenerVT
1:44 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
57. ShenValleyFlyFish 6:24 PM GMT on November 04, 2007

47. listenerVT 12:59 PM EST on November 04, 2007
Has anyone heard from Bonedog since he went storm chasing Noel?

If he's who I think (how many wunderblogers could have been storm chasing in Nova Scotia...

Shen, my understanding is that Bonedog was going to Gloucester, MA, not Nova Scotia. So maybe that was someone else with the camera issue.

290. V26R
2:00 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Evening STorm!!!

(second try)
289. HurricaneGeek
9:00 PM EST on November 04, 2007
OK StormW thanks!
287. V26R
1:59 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
okay posts are disappearing once again from me
All my good stuff just went to someplace on Mars
281. BajaALemt
1:55 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Last year I told myself I'd tidy up all my links after the season was over. This year..they got even worse. I started trying to "organize" them and now I'm having trouble FINDING things *laffs*
278. HurricaneGeek
8:55 PM EST on November 04, 2007
OK thanks!
276. HurricaneGeek
8:53 PM EST on November 04, 2007
Good evening StormW, or if you could answer my question that would be helpful thanks.
275. Floodman
1:53 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
263. HurricaneGeek 1:51 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Can someone please answer my question? thanks.

What is happening wih the RED and BLUE models at the bottom?

Those are the GFDL and NOGAPS models...looks like they intialized with bad data
274. V26R
1:53 AM GMT on November 05, 2007
Those computer models HG

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9Blog Index

About

Jeff co-founded the Weather Underground in 1995 while working on his Ph.D. He flew with the NOAA Hurricane Hunters from 1986-1990.