Jeff co-founded the Weather Underground in 1995 while working on his Ph.D. He flew with the NOAA Hurricane Hunters from 1986-1990.
By: Dr. Jeff Masters , 4:46 PM GMT on September 04, 2014
The world's largest Personal Weather Station (PWS) network--Weather Underground's 37,000 individually-owned weather stations across the globe--just got a major software upgrade. WunderStation for iPad, released today (for free) in the App Store and on iPad, provides the weather enthusiast a fantastic interface to the world's most in-depth set of weather observations. Started in 2001, the Weather Underground PWS network was developed to address the growing need for our meteorologists to gain access to more granular data. The network allows us to access weather data from actual neighborhoods, not just from the closest airport, and our meteorologists spent over five years developing and testing a revolutionary forecasting system which produces weather forecasts specific for each personal weather station around the globe.
Some highlights of the new WunderStation for iPad App:
- View current conditions from any weather station including temperature, feels-like temperatures, wind speed and direction, wind gusts, humidity, dew point, pressure, rain accumulation and rate, and moon phase
- 10-day and hourly forecasts including temperature, feels like, dewpoint, pressure, humidity, chance of precipitation, cloud cover, wind speed and direction, sunrise and sunset
- Historical highs and lows for temperature, humidity, pressure, rain accumulation, rain rate, and dewpoint viewable by hour, day, week, month, or year, going back up to 3 years
- Sky conditions including sunrise, sunset, total hours of day, total hours of night, and moon phases
- Rainfall totals and rain rate, with ability to set your own water year
- Customizable graphs: overlay as many or as few measurements as you'd like and compare historical conditions
- Drag, drop, add or delete content widgets to create a customized experience according to your data preferences
- Animated wind direction, rainfall totals, and temperature
- Toggle between different viewing options: infographic or graph view
- View a map of all 37,000 weather stations in Weather Underground's network and save any station to your list
- Swipe right and left to view your saved stations
For PWS owners:
- Update your personal weather station's status to better serve others viewing your station's data
- Solar radiation and UV index widgets available for stations that have these extra sensors
For more info
For additional info on the app and to check out our fun promo video, visit wunderstation.com. Please share with your social networks as well.
Want to join our network? If you’re interested in setting up your own personal weather station or know someone who might be interested, let us know! For additional info on how to get started, visit: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/about.asp.
WunderStation for iPad is available for free in the iTunes App Store.
Comments will take a few seconds to appear.
Light Snow Mist