...Red flag warning in effect from 11 am to 8 PM EDT Thursday for northeast Pennsylvania and portions of central New York...
The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a red flag warning for critical fire weather conditions...which is in effect from 11 am to 8 PM EDT Thursday. The Fire Weather Watch is no longer in effect.
* Affected area...the Poconos in northeast Pennsylvania...and the western Catskills and Susquehanna region in New York.
* Winds...northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.
* Timing...late Thursday morning into the afternoon.
* Relative humidity...as low as 20 percent.
* Temperatures...in the 50s.
* Impacts...any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly. Outdoor burning is strongly discouraged.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures will create explosive fire growth potential.